Dirk Quayle, CFA

View Dirk Quayle, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • PIMCO Closed End Fund Choices - Now And Then [View article]
    John, the premiums on these income CEFs would seem to be most vulnerable to great rotation/interest rates rising. I would note that my article highlights how PIMCO did significantly shorten the duration/interest risk in their CEFs which means they might be less vulnerable at the NAV level. I'd watch the NAV closely and how it is impacted by interest rate changes.
    May 31, 2013. 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Closed End Fund Choices - Now And Then [View article]
    Glad it helped Larry. Good job harvesting those nice returns in PTY for these past years
    May 8, 2013. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Closed End Fund Choices - Now And Then [View article]
    good to know. Sounds like that would have been a good one to include in the analysis as well. Thanks
    Apr 26, 2013. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Closed End Fund Choices - Now And Then [View article]
    Thanks Alan. Been working hard on LikeAssets
    Apr 24, 2013. 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mid-Year Review of My Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Yes, my 401(k) account offers me a restricted set of investment options, in our case mainly Fidelity funds. Our company has been able to expand the fund list to include many of the Fidelity spartan index funds which helps keep fees down and allows me to avoid their active management risk. I generally do most of my active investing in my non-401(k) accounts and then use the 401(k) choices as more passive filler to round out the asset allocation I think is appropriate. I have a hard time making good active fund picks as in the case with FLCSX above. I also got hurt by multiple bond funds that underperformed the benchmarks for quite awhile. So in fund investing I am more comfortable using a passive index approach.
    Jul 31, 2011. 08:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mid-Year Update: A Fund Manager's Top Dividend Stocks That Beat the Market [View article]
    It's dividend yield is high enough. It was also a requirement that it be a top ten holding as measured in the six funds noted in the article. I did not see First Energy listed in the top tens, but let me know if I missed something. Thx
    Jul 27, 2011. 07:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Roundtable - New Picks and a Mid-Year Review [View article]
    Thank you for the comment.
    Felix's picks are harder for us to track and be fair. Our system doesn't currently handle CBOE VIX futures, Italian Bond Futures, etc., examples of the types of investments Felix recommends. We try to focus on the stock pickers that provide ideas that the majority of typical US stock investors can mimic. We have similar issues with Faber and his picks on foreign exchanges.
    Jun 16, 2011. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Roundtable - New Picks and a Mid-Year Review [View article]
    that's some serious long-term investing!
    Jun 15, 2011. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Roundtable - New Picks and a Mid-Year Review [View article]
    hele and arlp were his 2 mid-year picks. Here is link to the performance of his January 2011 picks.
    www.likeassets.com/por...
    Jun 15, 2011. 10:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    The 98% is the cumulative, compounded return of all the picks, good and bad.
    Jun 4, 2011. 07:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    What you say about the screens is correct. LikeAssets tries to discriminate in those screens and buy only ones that were clearly picked or strongly recommended.
    Jun 4, 2011. 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    The article did not intend to glorify a strategy of buying and selling 299 picks. It was meant to point out that Alan has a solid track record and his ideas may be worth looking at for an active investor. I would not expect anyone to buy every pick.
    Jun 4, 2011. 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    For the majority of investors I agree that a passive ETF strategy is the way to go. But many investors prefer an active approach or a mix of passive and active. The goal of this analysis, and the tracking on likeassets.com for Brochstein and others, is to provide a reasonable analysis of which research sources are providing ideas that make investors money. Most of Alan's picks are small cap and they have soundly beat the small cap indexes. It is a valuable data point to help investors filter sources for investing ideas and then do their own analysis. Alan's picks have proven to be worth a 2nd look for investors looking for some active ideas.
    Jun 3, 2011. 09:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    The LikeAssets benchmark performance actually is the passive ETF performance that best matches each of Alan's picks. He beat that passive strategy.
    Jun 2, 2011. 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alan Brochstein's Exceptional Track Record and Recent Winners [View article]
    just noting relative to my comment below. This assumes buying SPY 3/2009 and holding it. The analysis for Alan assumes buying 299 separate positions at varying intervals over the past 2 years. You would have to buy SPY, or to do it properly, the appropriate Index ETF (small cap instead of SPY in many cases) , to track each of Alan's picks.
    Jun 2, 2011. 11:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment