Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Angels - A Possible Searching Ground For Investment Opportunities [View article]
    I hold the stock after the freeze. Though the risk of course is that the dividend growth is less predictable with Dividend Angels.. So if you have to live off that income, it is harder on the budget..
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I look at dividend payments in base currency, not in USD. Why penalize Unilever for fluctuations in the exchange rate?
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    The Pareto principle in action
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    I am curious, how much were your commissions when you purchased those companies?

I am also curious why you selected those companies in the first place in the 1970s...
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    Yes, selling has been a mistake in the majority of my situations, even if I had a good reason.
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:23 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    To be honest, my goal is to earn enough dividends that cover my expenses.

If I "underperform" the market, I am fine with that.

Of course, most index investor portfolios actually end up underperforming the market, because they are heavy into bonds, mindlessly rebalance, chase sectors, pay an adviser, pay a recurring fee each year, etc. But of course, they conveniently forget to tell that their portfolios always do worse than the market.
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    Yeah, I meant that the maximum downside is zero. Meaning if I bought KO at $40, the most I can lose is $40. But I can gain much more than that if prices go up, dividends go up.

Actually, even if I bought at $40 and in the unlikely event it went to zero, I will actually be able to reduce my taxes for the year, so that $40 loss will reduce taxes due by anywhere from $6 at 15% to $15.84 if I were in the 39.6% bracket...
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    Yep, slow and steady performance, boring companies, low changes, ability to earn more and pay more over time - this has been a characteristic of a successful investment
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    One of the biggest mistakes I make usually has been selling...
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pareto Principle In Dividend Investing [View article]
    Thanks for reading!
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am glad I beat you to it ;-) Thanks for commenting..

I am just exploring the idea to be honest, since it is riskier than regular dividend growth investing. The majority of dividend cutters I have had over the past 8 years were concentrated in companies which had a streak lower than 10 years. So if I need to rely on the income today or at some point in the future, I may be dissapointed if that management decides that the dividend is not their priority.
    Aug 6, 2015. 09:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi rhiannion,

I think this is a smart way to reduce "risk", by using a half position. I have done the same half-weighting with untested companies like ARCP, which resulted in lower losses. Though it did hurt on V ( which I first bought in 2011)

I am hopeful DIS is available below $102 soon..

DGI
    Aug 6, 2015. 01:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Rose,

Thanks for stopping by. You have a lot of common sense and wisdom.

I sold some HSY puts, and used the premium to buy a really small stake. I am hopeful to add around 20 times earnings - which is somewhere in the mid 80s.

Unfortunately, I do not understand AAPL, so I am steering clear from it...LMT is a company I researched in 2013, and then didn't pull the trigger because of the "noise". So I am trying to correct my mistake slowly.
    Aug 6, 2015. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am finding a lot of good companies on sale as well. However, I always try to learn more about more businesses just in case. A little extra knowledge can only be a benefit, right?

BA is a good company I have never owned... But that might change some time in the future.
    Aug 6, 2015. 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Dividend Growth Stocks Without Looking [View article]
    I only cross the street when I'm not looking
    Aug 5, 2015. 10:11 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment