Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Dividend Portfolio: I Like Beer [View article]
    If you are a fan of alcohol stocks, have you considered Diageo (DEO) as a global dividend play?

www.dividendgrowthinve...
    Nov 23 05:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Going for High Yield Stocks [View article]
    I strongly doubt that the stocks with the highest dividends have sustainable dividend rates. Typically they fluctuate up and down. I believe that the best strategy is to include the high yielders only if they have a history of consistent dividend increases for at least a decade. Other than that you are speculating and giving in to greed..
    Nov 19 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Real Price of Gas Approaches a Historic Record-Low [View article]
    Mark,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the historical perspective in your articles.

I never considered the fact that gas prices are in a long term decline..

Nov 18 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 100% Yields on Ecuador Bonds: A Sign of the Times [View article]
    Interesting article. I see a great profit opportunity for emerging market countries, if they learn how to play smart with their debts. First emerging market countries like Ecuador manage to sell as much debt as possible when times are good, by locking in low long-term interest rates. Then they just wait for the next global crisis and then they default on investors, sending the bonds to super low levels..

If they have 2 billion on hand, why can't they ( at least theoretically) simply purchase these bonds.. And reduce their debts forever?
    Nov 18 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Genuine Risk of Collapse? [View article]
    The following sentence is right on the money in terms of what dividend investors are fearing:

"Rumors of a dividend cut have been swirling in the business press. GE spokesmen have guaranteed the dividend only through 2009. Many other banks have promised no dividend cuts in the last year, only to cut dividends a month later."

Nov 18 10:47 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ten Companies Who Increased Dividends [View article]
    Notsosmart,

What are the odds that FRO and NAT will cut or suspend their dividend payments just like DSX, ESEA and FREE did last week?
    Nov 16 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should We Really Bail Out the Big Three Automakers with $73.20 Per Hour Labor? [View article]
    Personally I'd rather save the auto workers jobs, than save the greedy executives with their million dollar spa treatment.
    Nov 12 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats and Your Portfolio [View article]
    It's funny that few people know that there are far more companies that have increased their dividends for more than 25 years, than are present in the Dividend Aristocrats index..

www.dividendgrowthinve...
    Nov 11 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks: 6 More Increases in the News [View article]
    As part of my research I am trying to uncover stocks that have sustainable dividend growth. Dividend Growth investing focuses on future yields and total returns, not just dividend yields. It's true that stocks like FRO and NAT have high dividend yields right now which is mainly due to the fact that they are also returning a portion of their capital back as well. This might not be a sustainable business model especially in the current credit freeze, since generous distributions as a return of capital are generally funded by expansion by selling extra stocks or bonds. Furthermore I believe that stocks which pay out most of their earnings and then some could get particularly vulnerable to unfavorable conditions.

I am a bigger fan of stocks that have average market yields but spot the opportunity for above average dividend growth. WMT is a prime example of that - no one bought WMT for their yield, but yet their total returns and dividend growth were exceptional.

I do agree with you that some of the stocks do have a very small dividend yield and not so good dividend growth. The bright spots are WTR and EMR. If these stocks could double their dividends in 10 years or less, you will be getting a very decent yield on cost..

As for most shipping stocks, the volatility in dividends is not something I enjoy. I guess I would have to explain the dividend growth investing concept in more detail.

Nov 10 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nassim Taleb: Renegade Trader with Renegade Ideas - That Work [View article]
    I am very intrigued by Nassim Taleb's strategy. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this analysis.
    Nov 9 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Direxion Triple Leverage Funds: Proceed with Caution [View article]
    If the so called financial professionals can't manage their risks with leveraged instruments ( hint Lehman, Fannie, Freddie) then how do you expect individual investors to make money off these funds?
    Nov 7 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seven Highest Yielding Stocks Going Ex Dividend in November [View article]
    Notsosmart,

I totally agree with you on this one - if you start early your dividend income would be huge after several decades. However in this day and age it is possible to cut investment costs to the minimum by choosing low cost brokerages like Zecco.. I also think that Bank of American also offers free trades to customers whose net worth is over a certain amount.
    Nov 7 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Non-Farm Payrolls: 524K Jobs Lost in 2 Months [View article]
    Kathy,

Bull markets are born out of desperation while bear markets are born out of euphoria.. The worse news gets the higher the chance that we will form "the bottom".. Let's see if $83.58 holds on the SPY..
    Nov 7 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are We Still Seeing Lower Highs and Lower Lows? [View article]
    Peterthepainter,

I like your "pseudonim". I am long S&P 500 as is half the country I think..:-)
    Nov 7 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seven Highest Yielding Stocks Going Ex Dividend in November [View article]
    That's a very risky strategy, where you are not investing but speculating that you would be getting something for free - both dividends and small capital gains.

People have been trying similar dividend capture strategies for decades with poor results. At least they add liquidity to the markets.
    Nov 7 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment