Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:

• 3 Reasons Why Kinder Morgan's Stock Has Been Trading Weakly Lately [View article]
    Dividend investors should not become victims of fear in their dividend investing. This was the case over an year ago, when Barrons and the other short sellers started writing "negative" articles on Kinder Morgan.
    Jun 15, 2015. 11:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Stock And The Case For Exceptional Patience [View article]
    Hi Tim,

I noticed you are no longer long IBM. Why did you sell your stock?

Best Regards,

Dividend Growth Investor
    May 28, 2015. 10:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Weight On Dividends [View article]
    One of the dumbest arguments against dividend growth investing is showing a single investment that failed, and thus implying that the strategy is not good. An opponent of dividend growth investing would usually use a company like Eastman Kodak, General Motors, or one of the major banks like Citigroup (C) as an example of type of stocks that investors believed to be buy and hold forever.

The issue with this argument is that it ignores how General Motors, Eastman Kodak and the banks such as Citigroup were actually part of the S&P 500 or Dow Jones Industrial's Averages at the times of their dividend suspension or cuts.

If these are examples that should prevent investors from following a certain strategy, it looks like since these companies failed, the argument should be that investors should not buy stocks or should not buy index funds altogether.
    May 20, 2015. 09:31 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Williams Goes The Kinder Morgan Route, Higher Dividends Ahead [View article]

It is a great book. The response to a Harvard interviewer question that a certain former Enron executive provided on how smart he is, is one reason why I am overly skeptical when someone parades how smart they are/how successful they are/etc and are not humble.

Any other good recommendations?
    May 15, 2015. 02:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Williams Goes The Kinder Morgan Route, Higher Dividends Ahead [View article]
    Enron ;-)
    May 15, 2015. 10:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP: A High-Yield REIT Play On Healthcare [View article]
    You are correct Steve. I meant "do not believe" we will have cuts.

JStack - If someone tells you they will never make mistakes, they are lying to you and yourself. If you don't get that, then I am fine if you don't trust my judgment.

Bcrew - I welcome constructive criticism, but my comment was not directed at your comments. I found it interesting that a large part of the conversation came from "readers" who happen to only have a few comments. This is highly suspicious, as it could indicate that someone is creating multiple accounts and replying to each other. Not sure what they would gain from it however.
    May 13, 2015. 03:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Tortuous Escape From A « Low-Cost » Online Stockbroker [View instapost]
    Actually, an astute reader recommended I sign up for the tiered plan, where I pay 35 cents/trade (Actually it is 0.35 cents/share but the minimum is 35 cents/transaction). If you buy less than 200 shares per transaction, you will come out ahead.
    May 12, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Tortuous Escape From A « Low-Cost » Online Stockbroker [View instapost]
    I love Interactive Brokers. Ever since I switched, I have not made investments with any other broker.
    May 12, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget About Timing The Market [View article]
    This is a very good article Eli. Time in the market is more important than timing the market. I did a similar calculation but for Johnson & Johnson:

I did a quick experiment using Yahoo Finance historical data, where we have two investors buying shares of Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) between 1/1/1980 and 12/31/1989. The first investor has $1,200 to put to work each year, and manages to buy Johnson & Johnson shares at the lowest monthly close for each year. The second investor simply puts $100 per month, every month between 1/1/1980 and 12/31/1989. They also reinvest those dividends in more Johnson & Johnson stock in the accumulation phase. The results are very close:
    May 12, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis Of T. Rowe Price Group [View article]
    Thanks everyone for commenting. TROW is a nice company that I will likely add to in coming months/years, especially if it goes down. I also like AMP as well, and for whatever reason I think it has slightly better enduring advantages:

Good luck on your dividend investing journeys!
    May 8, 2015. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Shopping List: Buy What's On Sale (Part 2) [View article]
    So Ian comes out here, insults the intelligence of all Dividend Growth Investors, and throws out straw man comments ( dividend investors are buying only from a wish list and ignoring valuations). In general, you have written interesting items in your articles. However, the way you have presented them, as if everyone else is a moron, but you are the only holder of knowledge is completely out of line.

And some of his picks have low P/E ratios, but the problem is that not all P/E ratios are created equal

Should I really have to explain to you Ian that a cyclical company like CAT would always have a lower P/E ratio than a company like say Coca-Cola?

That being said, I do agree OHI is a bargain today.
    May 8, 2015. 04:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Investing: It's Riskier Than You Probably Think [View article]
    It is funny that I referenced an updown profile where you were obviously testing your “ideas” and you were losing money. You then asked Seeking Alpha to delete that comment, so that you have time to “reset” the Updown profile. Luckily, Updown still kept that data since inception and shows annualized returns as negative 21%.

I am reposting it again.
    May 8, 2015. 03:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP: A High-Yield REIT Play On Healthcare [View article]
    On the other hand a lot of the "negative" comments here seem to come from users with only a few comments. This is highly suspect, and most probably came from one person with too much time on their hands.
    May 7, 2015. 04:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP: A High-Yield REIT Play On Healthcare [View article]
    Thanks for everyone who commented. In reality I had written that article on HCP in January 2015.

It was a mistake to re-post it without making changes 3 – 4 months later. While I personally do believe that the issues will result in dividend cuts at HCP, the reposted article here should have had mentions to the DOJ inquiry, and the rent reduction ( despite the fact that total HCP revenue impact is not material, and that facilities have use beyond the current tenant, there is a wild card that things can change for the worse). PR about rent amendment PR about latest Quarterly results WSJ Article about investigation

I promise I will make many more mistakes in the future. I will try to not repeat the same mistake more than once/twice however.

This is why everyone should do their own research, before deciding whether a company is good enough to invest. If you buy a stock after reading about it once on the internet by someone calling themselves “Dividend Growth Investor”, you are doing yourself a disservice.
    May 7, 2015. 12:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Provide Protection In Any Market [View article]
    That's why you select the companies that have a lower chance of lowering dividends when things get tough, and you should also ignore price fluctuations.

Alternatively you can invest in index funds, and then pray you will get price appreciation and won't have a repeat of 2000 - 2012. No matter what happens to your clients money of course, you would still earn a fee as an advisor, right Dale?
    May 3, 2015. 06:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment