Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:

• Dividend Stocks Provide Protection In Any Market [View article]

The work you have done with the CCC list is of tremendous value for all dividend growth investors. Not only have you created the most complete list of dividend growth stocks available on US exchanges, but you also tirelessly update it every month. You are my hero and deserve a much bigger praise.

You are a much better person that myself for posting this great resource for FREE.

Plus, you have inspired people to create the Canadian and UK lists (and there is a European List floating around)
    May 2, 2015. 10:15 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Straight Talk On The 4% Rule [View article]
    That was a nice article by DVK on the origin of the 4% rule. I looked at the data and concluded that the reason behind its success is because the average dividend yield was closer to 4% during the study period that Bengen used:

Based on the data, it could be argued that the four percent rule has traditionally been based on the stability of stock yields and the positive dividend growth that investing in a basket of blue chip common stocks can deliver over time.
    May 1, 2015. 01:44 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Investing: It's Riskier Than You Probably Think [View article]

You need to do more research, before jumping to conclusions.

When you say that the typical DGI investor is 80% invested in a few companies, you are proving you did not do much research. If you don't do research, you are going to make incorrect conclusions and lose money in the process.

The reason why you have not been successful at investing is because you make up your mind in advance, rather than use the evidence to come up to a logical conclusion.

I went through your articles posted on Seeking Alpha, and honestly, I would much rather buy Colgate Palmolive at 30 times earnings, than touch any of the stuff you have written about such as:

You were dead wrong in three of the articles I randomly selected from your profile at Seeking Alpha. This shows to me that you are not an investing expert (but neither am I). As such, you cannot generalize about what dividend growth investors do or do not do. And more importantly, you cannot tell others that they are following a supposedly bad strategy.

If this is an attempt of you to gain pageviews, you succeeded. If this is an attempt by you to learn, then you might be on the right path.

Either way, I sincerely with good luck to you. I hope CIB works for you. I am just hopeful you know what you are doing. I would be interested in learning about why you invested there, and evaluate your knowledge of the financial sector, the Columbian financial sector, and what your expectations for the long-term depreciation of the Colombian Peso versus the dollar.
    Mar 6, 2015. 12:48 PM | 43 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Investing: It's Riskier Than You Probably Think [View article]
    Ha, someone talks trash about TheDiv-Net?

You mean the site where people who were investing in dividend growth stocks in 2007 - 2008 - 2009- 2010 - 2011- 2012 -2013 - 2014 - 2015? Did we "give up" in 2008? Nope.

You just glanced at the site, and then looked for something to confirm your preconceived belief, didn't you? If not, I would like to see the analysis of all investment ideas presented on Div-Net, and what percentage met your requirements and what percentage didn't? Also, provide a list of your requirements.
    Mar 6, 2015. 12:20 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Is A Solid Dividend Champion To Consider For Long-Term Investing [View article]
    Buffett also bought Exxon around 1984/1985, and held on for just one year.
    Feb 18, 2015. 09:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notable Quotes From Seeking Alpha Authors And Commenters [View instapost]
    I like those quotes. There is a lot of wisdom packed in there.

My favorite quote is that the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today.
    Feb 6, 2015. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding Value In The Dividend Aristocrats List [View article]
    Why would anyone look at the dividend aristocrats list, which is incomplete at best?
    Feb 4, 2015. 09:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Goals For 2015 And After [View instapost]
    Unfortunately they are pretty strict about what you can do. I have read their SPD, and talked to quite a few reps ;-)

Thanks for your input though, since things change, what you are saying might turn out to be reality for me.
    Feb 2, 2015. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Dynasty With Dividend Growth Investing [View article]

I think the biggest mistake dividend growth investors can make is spend time dealing with "critics". If you waste an hour going back and forth with someone who has already made up their mind that they are against dividend investing, or they have decided that they hate you, nothing you bring to the table will change their mind. Hence you are better off focusing on your investing, researching companies to potentially buy, and monitor your portfolio, rather than deal with people who don't matter.

This is my new year's resolution to avoid wasting time, and I am sticking to it.

Nice article on building a dynasty btw Eric. The basic concept is good. We can all argue about Roth IRA, Trusts, etc, but the main idea is really powerful. Yet, so few people actually do implement something like it. Go figure.
    Jan 22, 2015. 11:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Reasons I Am Avoiding AT&T And Verizon [View instapost]
    This is a great article. I thoroughly enjoyed your reasoning. Of course, I have not been very excited about VZ and T over the years as well for many of the reasons you stated. Many investors like the companies, because of their high yields. Of course, we all know that chasing the highest yields, without understanding whether it is sustainable, could be dangerous.
    Jan 21, 2015. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adams Express Is Proof That Closed-End Funds Can Survive Big Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for posting this article. I like learning about companies, and investments. I find the dividend history and stock history going back to the 1950s to be very interesting:

While I would not purchase shares in ADX ( nor one of its largest investments, PEO, which is a CEF with decades of history), I find it interesting how it survived for so many years.

Jan 15, 2015. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Loses Injunction Against Protestors: So What [View article]
    Actually Sharebuilder just arrived mid-day ( weren't there prior to market open today). But they converted everything, and provided fractional shares as well. Pretty nice!
    Dec 2, 2014. 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Loses Injunction Against Protestors: So What [View article]
    My new KMI shares showed up at Schwab and TK this morning. Still waiting on Sharebuilder. Partial shares were not converted, I assume will receive cash.

Just like Mike, KMI will be my largest holding. If it drops from here, I would just watch it and can't add any more.
    Dec 2, 2014. 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do After A Dividend Cut: A Review Of The Literature [View article]
    Thank you for the mention. Based on the research I have done, it is wise to sell after dividend cuts:

What I mentioned in the article you linked to, that I truly believe in is the following:

" In conclusion, selling when a stock cuts its dividend is a wise decision meant to protect your capital and keep you in the game. It’s a risk management decision where you show that you were wrong in selecting the stock and that the factors that caused you to purchase it in the first place are no longer valid."
    Nov 25, 2014. 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Stock Bubble [View article]
    I have been hearing about the "death of dividend stocks", the "bubble in dividend stocks" for 4 - 5 years now. Frankly, the goal or the reitred/would be retired investor is to buy a stock, and hold on to it, while enjoying a rising stream of dividend income. The evidence that people are actually looking at dividend stocks as fixed income substitutes is... frankly not there other than anecdotal stories like yours which might or might not be true, and might or might not be representative. I do not invest based on anecdotal evidence, but I know many others do - hence the reason why many investors don't do that well.

Funny how noone talks about the bubble in Social Media stocks, and some tech darlings - I am not sure how companies with unproven business models can sell for astronomical valuations.
    Nov 14, 2014. 10:11 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment