Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Notable Quotes From Seeking Alpha Authors And Commenters [View instapost]
    I like those quotes. There is a lot of wisdom packed in there.

My favorite quote is that the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today.
    Feb 6, 2015. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding Value In The Dividend Aristocrats List [View article]
    Why would anyone look at the dividend aristocrats list, which is incomplete at best?

Feb 4, 2015. 09:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Goals For 2015 And After [View instapost]
    Unfortunately they are pretty strict about what you can do. I have read their SPD, and talked to quite a few reps ;-)

Thanks for your input though, since things change, what you are saying might turn out to be reality for me.
    Feb 2, 2015. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Dynasty With Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Dave,

I think the biggest mistake dividend growth investors can make is spend time dealing with "critics". If you waste an hour going back and forth with someone who has already made up their mind that they are against dividend investing, or they have decided that they hate you, nothing you bring to the table will change their mind. Hence you are better off focusing on your investing, researching companies to potentially buy, and monitor your portfolio, rather than deal with people who don't matter.

This is my new year's resolution to avoid wasting time, and I am sticking to it.

Nice article on building a dynasty btw Eric. The basic concept is good. We can all argue about Roth IRA, Trusts, etc, but the main idea is really powerful. Yet, so few people actually do implement something like it. Go figure.
    Jan 22, 2015. 11:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Reasons I Am Avoiding AT&T And Verizon [View instapost]
    This is a great article. I thoroughly enjoyed your reasoning. Of course, I have not been very excited about VZ and T over the years as well for many of the reasons you stated. Many investors like the companies, because of their high yields. Of course, we all know that chasing the highest yields, without understanding whether it is sustainable, could be dangerous.
    Jan 21, 2015. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adams Express Is Proof That Closed-End Funds Can Survive Big Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for posting this article. I like learning about companies, and investments. I find the dividend history and stock history going back to the 1950s to be very interesting:

While I would not purchase shares in ADX ( nor one of its largest investments, PEO, which is a CEF with decades of history), I find it interesting how it survived for so many years.

Fascinating!
    Jan 15, 2015. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Loses Injunction Against Protestors: So What [View article]
    Actually Sharebuilder just arrived mid-day ( weren't there prior to market open today). But they converted everything, and provided fractional shares as well. Pretty nice!
    Dec 2, 2014. 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Loses Injunction Against Protestors: So What [View article]
    My new KMI shares showed up at Schwab and TK this morning. Still waiting on Sharebuilder. Partial shares were not converted, I assume will receive cash.

Just like Mike, KMI will be my largest holding. If it drops from here, I would just watch it and can't add any more.
    Dec 2, 2014. 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do After A Dividend Cut: A Review Of The Literature [View article]
    Thank you for the mention. Based on the research I have done, it is wise to sell after dividend cuts:

What I mentioned in the article you linked to, that I truly believe in is the following:

" In conclusion, selling when a stock cuts its dividend is a wise decision meant to protect your capital and keep you in the game. It’s a risk management decision where you show that you were wrong in selecting the stock and that the factors that caused you to purchase it in the first place are no longer valid."
    Nov 25, 2014. 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Stock Bubble [View article]
    I have been hearing about the "death of dividend stocks", the "bubble in dividend stocks" for 4 - 5 years now. Frankly, the goal or the reitred/would be retired investor is to buy a stock, and hold on to it, while enjoying a rising stream of dividend income. The evidence that people are actually looking at dividend stocks as fixed income substitutes is... frankly not there other than anecdotal stories like yours which might or might not be true, and might or might not be representative. I do not invest based on anecdotal evidence, but I know many others do - hence the reason why many investors don't do that well.

Funny how noone talks about the bubble in Social Media stocks, and some tech darlings - I am not sure how companies with unproven business models can sell for astronomical valuations.
    Nov 14, 2014. 10:11 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Stock Bubble [View article]
    Colgate-Palmolive is selling for 23 times forward earnings, which is pricey, but not expensive enough to justify selling, paying taxes, and re-investing that reduced amount in another company today.

For anyone who holds CL, it is a decent dividend grower that will only grow EPS and DPS over time. I don't see how the end of quantitative easing will change the fact that people brush their teeth.
    Nov 14, 2014. 10:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • REITs Are Prime-Time Players, Baby! [View article]
    I agree now is not a wise time to be buying most REITs. However, it is always a good time to be holding on if you have a long-term view (10-15-20 yrs) and collecting those dividends and allocating them elsewhere.
    Nov 14, 2014. 09:34 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Ingredients For Successful Dividend Investing [View article]
    You might find this helpful as a guideline:

1) http://bit.ly/1p6rnbM

2) http://bit.ly/1h6A4ti

Best Regards,

Dividend Growth Investor
    Oct 30, 2014. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Keeping You Up At Night? Take One Of These [View article]
    If "markets" are making you feel uneasy, perhaps you should not be focusing exclusively on the stock price. You should develop a system where you invest every month in individual businesses, which share with you a portion of their profits paid to yours truly every quarter. Those payments are always positive, they are more stable than relying on capital gains, and they have historically grown faster than the rate of inflation.

This strategy is of course called dividend growth investing, and many retirees have found it to be the best method to live off their nest eggs.
    Oct 16, 2014. 07:45 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Or Dividend Growth: My Experience With Both [View article]
    WMHilger1,

So you lost a ton of money chasing high yielding stocks, yet when someone tells you that chasing yield could be dangerous, you stick to chasing high yielding stocks and then you are rude to them and their work?

I am going to stick to my original response to you:

" I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    Oct 5, 2014. 12:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment