Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Kinder Morgan Is Getting Hit By The Bears Again [View article]
    It's funny how often the person telling me to listen to their point of view, actually ends up ignoring what I am saying.

That is hypocritical.
    Jun 26, 2015. 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Is Getting Hit By The Bears Again [View article]
    You don't make money by "discussion".

You make it by sticking to your strategy.

If you want to check with everyone before you buy, that's your money on the line. Not everyone's opinion is worth listening to. In fact, listening to everyone will make you more likely to succumb to paralysis than anything else.
    Jun 15, 2015. 03:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Is Getting Hit By The Bears Again [View article]
    No , it means focusing on facts. No sensationalist agenda that is trying to induce fear

Jun 15, 2015. 01:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Is Getting Hit By The Bears Again [View article]
    I agree. Kinder Morgan is the type of company to buy, hold and monitor. Long-term investors should know to read critically news and "opinions".
    Jun 15, 2015. 11:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why We're Dumping Kinder Morgan Right Now [View article]
    I love the exclamation points. In reality, this researcher from Valuentum frequently changes their opinion on Kinder Morgan every 5 months or so. That is not how serious long-term investors should operate. I also do not believe that investors should get fearful, merely because someone has an opinion ( that is not substantiated much)

Jun 15, 2015. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why Kinder Morgan's Stock Has Been Trading Weakly Lately [View article]
    Dividend investors should not become victims of fear in their dividend investing. This was the case over an year ago, when Barrons and the other short sellers started writing "negative" articles on Kinder Morgan.

Jun 15, 2015. 11:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Stock And The Case For Exceptional Patience [View article]
    Hi Tim,

I noticed you are no longer long IBM. Why did you sell your stock?

Best Regards,

Dividend Growth Investor
    May 28, 2015. 10:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Weight On Dividends [View article]
    One of the dumbest arguments against dividend growth investing is showing a single investment that failed, and thus implying that the strategy is not good. An opponent of dividend growth investing would usually use a company like Eastman Kodak, General Motors, or one of the major banks like Citigroup (C) as an example of type of stocks that investors believed to be buy and hold forever.

The issue with this argument is that it ignores how General Motors, Eastman Kodak and the banks such as Citigroup were actually part of the S&P 500 or Dow Jones Industrial's Averages at the times of their dividend suspension or cuts.

If these are examples that should prevent investors from following a certain strategy, it looks like since these companies failed, the argument should be that investors should not buy stocks or should not buy index funds altogether.
    May 20, 2015. 09:31 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Williams Goes The Kinder Morgan Route, Higher Dividends Ahead [View article]
    Smurf,

It is a great book. The response to a Harvard interviewer question that a certain former Enron executive provided on how smart he is, is one reason why I am overly skeptical when someone parades how smart they are/how successful they are/etc and are not humble.

Any other good recommendations?
    May 15, 2015. 02:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Williams Goes The Kinder Morgan Route, Higher Dividends Ahead [View article]
    Enron ;-)
    May 15, 2015. 10:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP: A High-Yield REIT Play On Healthcare [View article]
    You are correct Steve. I meant "do not believe" we will have cuts.

JStack - If someone tells you they will never make mistakes, they are lying to you and yourself. If you don't get that, then I am fine if you don't trust my judgment.

Bcrew - I welcome constructive criticism, but my comment was not directed at your comments. I found it interesting that a large part of the conversation came from "readers" who happen to only have a few comments. This is highly suspicious, as it could indicate that someone is creating multiple accounts and replying to each other. Not sure what they would gain from it however.
    May 13, 2015. 03:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Tortuous Escape From A « Low-Cost » Online Stockbroker [View instapost]
    Actually, an astute reader recommended I sign up for the tiered plan, where I pay 35 cents/trade (Actually it is 0.35 cents/share but the minimum is 35 cents/transaction). If you buy less than 200 shares per transaction, you will come out ahead.
    May 12, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Tortuous Escape From A « Low-Cost » Online Stockbroker [View instapost]
    I love Interactive Brokers. Ever since I switched, I have not made investments with any other broker.
    May 12, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget About Timing The Market [View article]
    This is a very good article Eli. Time in the market is more important than timing the market. I did a similar calculation but for Johnson & Johnson:

I did a quick experiment using Yahoo Finance historical data, where we have two investors buying shares of Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) between 1/1/1980 and 12/31/1989. The first investor has $1,200 to put to work each year, and manages to buy Johnson & Johnson shares at the lowest monthly close for each year. The second investor simply puts $100 per month, every month between 1/1/1980 and 12/31/1989. They also reinvest those dividends in more Johnson & Johnson stock in the accumulation phase. The results are very close:

May 12, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis Of T. Rowe Price Group [View article]
    Thanks everyone for commenting. TROW is a nice company that I will likely add to in coming months/years, especially if it goes down. I also like AMP as well, and for whatever reason I think it has slightly better enduring advantages:

Good luck on your dividend investing journeys!
    May 8, 2015. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment