Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    I wouldn't call 18.60 times forward P/E and EPS that is growing and a 2.80% yield expensive.

A company selling at 19 times earnings that grows those earnings could be cheaper than a company selling at 10 times earnings which are not dependable.

I am not sure who this Mr Valuation is, but the KO example of how it was overpriced was discussed on my site Dividend Growth Investor in 2010..

I am often surprised when someone tells me about something I should be knowing, yet I have already talked about it multiple times already.
    Aug 19, 2015. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    jcf747,

The dollar is the reserve currency of the world. I do not see another strong and diversified economy whose currency can become what the US dollar is today.

In case you disagree with me, your energy is better spent learning survival techniques from the show "Doomsday Preppers". Hope you will let me stay in your underground bunker when all hell breaks lose... ;-)
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    There is a lot of wisdom in these words - learning about investing, and how to pensionize those assets is a lifelong endeavour.

Good luck in your journey!

DGI
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Brokers not only offer free trades, many will also offer a cash bonus to move money there. This could add up to 0.50% to annual returns if one knows how to play that game.
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    TD Ameritrade gives commission free trades for those who rollover an old 401 (k).

I can pretty much move my old 401 (k) there when the time comes, and then create my own index fund by buying stakes directly in 500 leading US companies and just reinvest dividends.
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Jayb,

I always encourage people to start their own site to create "meaty" content and share their experience with others.

Oil Can,

SA has been around since 2005. Dividend investing has been a popular way for investors at least since the 1930s, based on books I have read on investing. It is a myth that dividend investing is popular because interest rates are low.

Geekette,

I hope you are wrong, and find that you are very much closer to retirement than you think.
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Check my reply above
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Based on my research, most investors who hold mutual funds do so in a tax-deferred 401 (k) or IRA of some sort ( or take a lump sum pension and stick into an IRA).

The largest assets for most investors are probably their home and retirement accounts – few have money in taxable account. Very few follow the DGI way, which is fine by me. I just talk from my experience and what I have done or plan to do- as I am not a financial advisor I only say things that are right about me.
    Aug 19, 2015. 02:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    It is 3.20% - changed it
    Aug 19, 2015. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    On aggregate, they are fairly valued today but for those who will hold for the next 20 - 30 years, it doesn't matter... Though in my defense, if you are selling an S&P 500 index fund, you own FB at 45 - 50 times earnings and AMZN at a god knows what valuation is ( I am not smart enough to value it, as I always thought earnings are what matters)
    Aug 19, 2015. 01:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Convert A Portfolio Of Index Funds To Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder
    Aug 19, 2015. 01:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turbocharge Income Growth With Dividend Reinvestment [View article]
    Thanks all for commenting. I only reinvest dividends automatically in tax-deferred accounts, where it is easier to just DRIP. If I have $5,500 in a Roth IRA, I have to DRIP. Otherwise I may have to wait end up with a few hundred worth of dividend income sitting in cash until I get to the next year and can contribute, and make cost efficient purchases ( I try keeping transaction costs below 0.50% if purchase price)

For my taxable accounts, which are something like 85 - 90% of portfolio, things are reinvested manually.
    Aug 18, 2015. 08:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Precision Castparts: BOD Buys Back Shares At $250 Per Share, Sells Business At $235, Shareholders Should Vote 'No' [View article]
    That's an amazing find, thank you for writing thins article!
    Aug 14, 2015. 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    Great article and great comments by SDS.

For a couple years I have meant to write an article about the original Dividend Champions from 1991, but the research to see where they are today takes too much of my limited time.

Per my sources, there were over 80 dividend champions 24 - 25 years ago. For all the misinformed however, they keep talking about research that I originally posted in 2009:

Aug 13, 2015. 09:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Angels - A Possible Searching Ground For Investment Opportunities [View article]
    Interesting observations. I noticed you talk about Loews, which is a company that is more focused on buybacks. For some reason, they have failed to prop the stock price up in the past decade - they should have simply paid a better dividends ( and not spin off tobacco operations with LO, now part of RAI)
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment