Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • State Street: Dividend Cut Analysis [View article]
    User 352558 ,

How good are STT's EPS when they actually cannot support a measly dividend, equal to 1/5 of their EPS? What have they been doing with their EPS so far? Taking on more risk with lower reward? I guess I should have done more research on this one.

NSS,

I am glad you stayed away from this one.

rob4321,

I am glad that you are smart and know everything there is to know about investing. Based on your measly one comment to this site, I am certain that you are winning on 100% of your investments. Anything less than that is stupid, right? Following your investment plan is stupid, right?

Maybe that's what's wrong in USA - people are too opinionated to get their heads out of the.... sand and think of everything as one huge gamble. Heads I win, I am smart, tails I lose that guy over there is dumb.
    Feb 8 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World Money Show: Five High Yielding Energy Trusts [View article]
    Tom,

The problem with canadian trusts high yields is summed in one word: 2011 when most yields are going to drop as dividend payments on Canroys are cut.

And I am not even going to mention the rest of the problems..You can check this article out..

www.dividendgrowthinve...
    Feb 6 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Altria During Market Hours [View article]
    MO has indeed been the best performer in the S&P 500 since 1957. Would it be the best performer in the S&P 500 over the next 50 years? Highly unlikely imho.
    I wonder if the company's merger with UST won't lead to a div cut sometime down the road.
    Jan 31 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Increases: 6 More Companies Buck the Trend [View article]
    Asquared,

You are correct.
    Jan 30 04:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Four Stocks for 2009 [View article]
    Thanks for the link to the Best High Yield Stocks for 2009!
    Jan 2 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Paying Stocks: You Only Have to Be Lucky Once [View article]
    Devin,

That's a great original and thought provoking article. Without dividends, stock markets do look like a giant ponzi scheme, where the greater foll theory is in full effect. With dividends and reinvestment however, stock market look like a sound investing practice for long-term wealth accumulation.
    Dec 22 07:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dogs of the Dow Can Keep You Out of the Doghouse [View article]
    Didn't Dogs of the Dow significantly underperform major indexes by 20% in 2008?

The only period for which Dogs of the Dow made any more money than a simple buy and hold index funds strategy, was when the DOD strategy was being backtested.
    Dec 11 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Solid Dividend Companies [View article]
    That's a very good article D4L. I need to look into TEG, I have ED as an alternative.
    Dec 11 01:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria: One of the Best Run Companies [View article]
    I own MO as I like the company and its ability to increase dividends and buy back stock consistently. The current MO however is different than the Altria that Siegel discusses, as it doesn't include international operations. However If you also own PM you should do just fine ( I own that one too)

The high payout for MO is a warning sign.. The thing however is that the tobacco industry is in a decline and there should be little in capital investment for the future. Furthermore the company doesn't have a lot of options to reinvest in its business other than acquisitons..
    Dec 10 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take on Year End Investing [View article]
    If you are looking to purchase an MLP fund, check out TYY or TYG.
    Another thing to check is the annual management fee that will come out of your pocket every year..

Dec 9 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Country Default Risk Rises Across the Board [View article]
    Cochie,

Argentina's bonds are pretty likely to default, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid 4400 in order to get $10,000 back.. I think that Argentine bonds trade well below par right now..
    Dec 4 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Highest Yielding Stocks Going Ex-Dividend in December [View article]
    I wrote an article on the dividend capture strategy:

www.dividendgrowthinve...

Basically this strategy assumes that markets are inefficient and that there is free lunch. Even the author of the article doesn't do what he preaches - then why should you risk a large capital loss for a small dividend?

Dec 2 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Merger Arbitrage: Sound Strategy for a Bear Market [View article]
    Looks like GDL has outperformed the market in 2008 by falling only 15%. ( total returns). The weird part is that GDL seems to be returning capital in order to maintain its 40 cents/quarter distribution.
    It also looks to me as if the fund participates in all deals, which is someting I am not looking to achieve. By all deals I mean deals that are just announced, and still have obvious hurdles in front of them. For example on 6/30/2008 GDL owned shares of YHOO even though the merger was never approved by YHOO's board.

Please review this post on merger arbitrage:

www.dividendgrowthinve...
    Nov 30 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 40 Net Current Asset Stocks for Value Investors [View article]
    MRXG4,

I don't own any of the above stocks. I have been researching TAIT in order to determine how much can you get out of it if the inventory were sold off. I also like that TAIT seems to be returning capital to shareholders through dividends over the past 2 years.

Of course the builders also look interesting as a potential value play. Graham made a lot of money in the 1930's by buying whole companies selling below the net current assets minus total liabilities and then liquidating them..
    Nov 30 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markets Punish Dividend Cutters [View article]
    Aalan,

My reviews of companies cutting or eliminating dividends suggest that more bad news are ahead for stockholders in those that provide negative dividend news. I do write how much the stock has increased or decreased in a given week, but that's because I provide the dividend cuts on a weekly basis. I wish I had started tracking dividend cuts a long time ago..
    In a previous post I posted a chart from Ned Davis research, showing that dividend cutters or eliminators underperform the dividend growers and initiators over the long-term. So I wouldn't expect these stocks on average to perform well over time.

On Nov 25 02:48 PM Aalan wrote:

> If a business is losing cash flow due to market conditions beyond
    > its control, I'd rather it maintain its long-term viability by putting
    > its remaining cash to working more efficiently, rather than cannibalize
    > itself to make stockholders happy for another quarter. If you're
    > only interested in short-term trades, then your response makes sense--but
    > don't blame the business model; that's strictly market-timing.
    Nov 26 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment