Dividend Growth Investor

View Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Abbott Laboratories: Quality Dividend Aristocrat For Long-Term Dividends [View article]
    I stand by my analysis. We can agree to disagree on that. I recently added ABT to my portfolio, as I think that the sum of parts will do well. We cannot do an analysis of Abbvie or new abbott until the spin-off actually occurs. When it does, let's circle up again this time in 2013, ok ;-)
    Dec 22, 2012. 11:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for posting this. I do not see it as a mess.

New Abbott will pay 14 cents/quarter, equivalent to 56 cents/year.

AbbVie will likely pay 40 cents/quarter, equivalent to 160 cents/year.

For shareholders of "old" Abbott, which combined New Abbott and Abbvie, the quarterly distribution will be (14+40)=54 cents/share.
    Dec 22, 2012. 02:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If the sum of the parts makes sense as an investment, then wouldn't owning both parts make sense for investment purposes?
    Dec 22, 2012. 02:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott Laboratories: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    GoldenRetiree,

The article should have said that I plan on adding to ABT on dips. However I also plan on adding to JNJ on dips.

I do agree that for long-term owners, both stocks are a good buy and hold, particularly in a diversified dividend portfoliio.
    Feb 11, 2011. 08:28 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott: Too Overvalued to Make a Good Dividend Investment? [View article]
    D4L,

I also concluded that ABT is a little overvalued in my analysis previously:

seekingalpha.com/artic...

I believe that ABT is a long on dips below $46.
    Jul 22, 2008. 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott Labs: Dividend Analysis [View article]
    Comment2,

I have already done my homework - the above short description of the company is the same as the first several lines on Yahoo Finance. Please do not criticize without doing the homework yourself :-)

Below you could find the whole description of the "Vascular Division" :

The Vascular Products segment provides a line of coronary, endovascular, and vessel closure devices for the treatment of vascular diseases. It also offers blood glucose monitoring meters, test strips, data management software, and accessories for people with diabetes. Abbott has a 50% owned joint venture with TAP Pharmaceutical Products, Inc.; a strategic alliance with Celera Group; and a collaboration with Genentech, Inc. to develop anti-cancer compounds. The company was founded in 1888 and is based in Abbott Park, Illinois.

Jun 11, 2008. 03:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott Labs: Dividend Analysis [View article]
    SivBum,

There is indeed a long way to go before it reaches $46. What you could do is sell naked puts at $45 strike. If you wanted to purchase 100 shares of ABT, sell one contract for example. Picking the expiration month could be tricky, however. That way you are basically paid for you "limit" order.
    Jun 10, 2008. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment