Dividend Growth Machine

View Dividend Growth Machine's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Champions: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 2.1%, from $0.48 to $0.49 per share. News release:

Feb 19, 2015. 11:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Coca-Cola (KO) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 8.2%, from $0.305 to $0.33 per share. News release:

Feb 19, 2015. 11:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Genuine Parts Company (GPC) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 7.0%, from $0.575 to $0.615 per share. News release:

GPC is the first stock I ever bought, before I even knew about dividend growth investing. I continue to be a happy shareholder.
    Feb 17, 2015. 07:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 21 Increases Expected By March 31 [View article]
    I noticed the following line in today's earnings release from PepsiCo (PEP):

"The company announced a 7.3 percent increase in its annualized dividend to $2.81 per share from $2.62 per share, to take effect with the dividend expected to be paid in June 2015."

That implies an increase in the quarterly dividend from $0.655 to $0.7025 per share. I did not see a separate dividend announcement about the increase, but here's the earnings release:

Feb 11, 2015. 07:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: Q2 2014 Review [View article]
    Victor: Thanks for your comment. It's difficult to do a fair comparison between my portfolio and the S&P 500 because the latter's reported return would not correspond to my actual return if I had invested new capital in an index fund on a regular basis. That said, if I simply compare my portfolio's annualized return to the S&P 500's reported return, then I've done better than the index in two of the past three years (as well as in the second half of 2011, when I was transitioning to a dividend growth stock portfolio).
    Feb 8, 2015. 01:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers (And Near-Challengers): 98 Increases Expected By The End Of March [View article]
    Union Pacific (UNP) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 10%, from $0.50 to $0.55 per share. News release:

Note: The company is also revising its dividend payment schedule such that dividends will be paid at the end of the quarter in which they are declared instead of at the start of the next quarter. Thus, this payment will be on March 30 instead of on April 1.
    Feb 5, 2015. 12:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J.M. Smucker buying pet food giant for $5.8B; shares +4.6% [View news story]
    Correction: The deal involves $2.6B in debt, not $2.6M
    Feb 3, 2015. 07:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Illustrating The Factors That Affect Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Al: Everything was done in Excel. I'm not sure where the original file is anymore (I didn't post it online), but at some point I'll see if I can create a Google Docs version that would be easier to share.
    Feb 2, 2015. 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 48 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    United Technologies (UTX) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 8.5%, from $0.59 to $0.64 per share. News release:

Feb 2, 2015. 05:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The DGI 'Factual 48' Versus 'The Favored 44' [View article]
    DH: BAX and EMR are interesting. With BAX, I'm inclined to wait until they've finished their biopharmaceuticals spin-off in mid-2015. EMR is trading at or slightly below fair value now, but that seems consistent with sluggish growth recently, and I'd prefer a larger margin of safety before investing. There are other names on your lists I'd like to own at some point (e.g., CL, MMM), but not at current valuations.
    Jan 31, 2015. 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: 2014 Review [View article]
    hsingh: Thanks for your question. In my Roth IRA, I use Scottrade's commission-free flexible dividend reinvestment program ("FRIP") throughout the year. Those purchases are indicated with an asterisk ("*") in my transaction summary table. An advantage of FRIP is that I can target the dividend reinvestment toward specific stocks that I deem to be undervalued. In my taxable account, given that I add new capital to it almost every month, I reinvest dividends by combining them with the new capital. I have to pay a commission for investing the new capital, but I don't pay any extra commission for including accumulated dividends in those investments. Thus, dividend reinvestment in my taxable account is effectively commission-free. (Note that if I were not adding new capital on a regular basis, then I could also use FRIP for dividend reinvestment in that account.) I hope that makes sense.
    Jan 31, 2015. 12:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The DGI 'Factual 48' Versus 'The Favored 44' [View article]
    DH: Thanks for including me in your survey. I think your lists are good starting points for building or expanding a dividend growth stock portfolio. I was reminded of a few stocks not currently in my portfolio that I haven't looked at in a while.
    Jan 30, 2015. 10:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buy: AT&T [View article]
    Considering that I also bought more shares of T yesterday, all I can say is that great minds think alike!
    Jan 29, 2015. 06:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: 2014 Review [View article]
    DM: Thanks for the feedback. I think you're maintaining a great savings rate, especially considering your recent life changes (yep, I still follow your blog, but I've become a lurker rather than a regular commentator). I was fortunate in that 2014 was a year of stability for me in terms of income and expenses, which enabled the high savings rate. I expect 2015 to be similar in that regard.

It's always nice to celebrate investing milestones. They're motivational and help me keep track of my progress. I suppose the next portfolio value milestone will be $250K -- a "quarter million" has a nice ring to it. Whether I get there this year will depend a bit on Mr. Market; if I achieve the same return and invest the same amount of new capital as I did in 2014, then I'll reach that milestone by the end of 2015. I'm also getting close to a forward 12-month dividend total of $6,000, which would be an average of $500 per month (the current total is $5,371). I think I have a good chance of reaching that milestone this year, too.
    Jan 28, 2015. 07:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Norfolk Southern (NSC) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 3.5%, from $0.57 to $0.59 per share. News release from Friday afternoon (apparently missed by Seeking Alpha's newsfeed):

Jan 25, 2015. 02:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment