Dividend Mantra

View Dividend Mantra's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, AFL, ARCP, BAX, CL, CLX, COP, CVS, CVX, DLR, EMR, GE, GIS, GPC, HAS, HCP, HNZ, IBM, INTC, JNJ, KMB, KMI, KO, LO, MCD, MO, NVS, OHI, PBI, PEP, PG, PM, SBSI, SPY, SYY, T, TEF, TGT, TIS, TOT, VZ, WMT, XOM
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: Q2 2014 Review [View article]
    DGM,

Glad to see you still updating us all. The portfolio is looking great. Your conviction on ROST is inspiring. I need to take a look. The P/E ratio appears pretty attractive, considering the growth profile.

Hope all is well with the work at the university!

Jul 8 10:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Momintn,

Interesting. I don't really track ETF holdings like that, but I can see how that could make one feel a bit better about what they're holding/buying. Although, sometimes that consensus ends up being expensive.

Jun 25 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TimmiesRegular,

Great points there. V is indeed closer to a growth stock than a dividend stock. But I think continued dividend growth can/will change that over time. Even though management favors buybacks by far (and they've been open about that), the dividend growth has nonetheless been impressive, and will likely remain so due to the power of the buybacks (less shares to pay a dividend to).

But I think anything close to $200 for V makes sense here. I agree.

Jun 25 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Grasshopper529,

Great points there. It does indeed take many years, or even decades, sometimes for the dividend income from stocks like a V to catch up to something like a WFC. And that's the risk, because you don't know if the growth rate can/will continue.

But for those with a long time horizon a little exposure might make sense for the growth potential. In addition, I plan on keeping my exposure to "Stage 3" stocks fairly low.

Jun 25 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Momintn,

The revenue base between these companies is totally different, and you can see that in the numbers.

But since going public, V has been on fire. In a recession, consumers are typically consuming less which will affect a company like V. But I can't see how digital transactions don't increase looking out over the next 10-20 years.

Jun 25 04:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bestforecast,

I agree with what you're saying. Many of the metrics look great, except for revenue. And I understand that the massive changes they've made take time to realize meaningful results in some of the top line growth. Stalling revenue growth for much higher margins is a trade-off I'm willing to make, but you can't make that trade forever. We'll see what happens here. I'm happy to hold, and I'm interested in buying more because the valuation is compelling. But at the same time I would like to see the top line start to move at some point.

Jun 25 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Big Thunder,

V is closer to a growth play than it is a dividend play, but I think the aggressive growth in the dividend can change that. Catching growth on the front end and income on the back end would be fantastic.

IBM is interesting. I'm not real concerned, but I would like to see more top line growth at some point. Even with static revenue, they should be able to provide solid returns for long-term shareholders via the dividend, dividend growth, and buybacks. But they have to move the needle at some point in regards to revenue.

Jun 25 03:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    davefrr,

Thanks!

I think we may even see this company as a Dividend Champion one day. It has all the makings of a great stock because the business is so wonderful.

Jun 25 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Grasshopper529,

Completely agree. The price is reasonable and justified considering the growth potential. The low yield leaves a bit to be desired, but the strong growth of the dividend should more than make up for that soon enough. I'm hoping to join you as a shareholder here pretty soon.

Jun 25 12:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Augie91,

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support and readership. Means a lot to me. :)

I'm with you. I wrote an article a while back explaining that sometimes inaction is the best course of action, and as a dividend growth investor it's nice to know the checks will keep rolling in even when you're doing nothing at all.

Jun 25 12:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tomlos,

The closer it gets to $200, the itchier my trigger finger becomes. It's close right now, and I'm tempted to buy in here very soon.

Jun 25 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot,

I passed on V when it was below $100 because of the yield concern. I believe the yield then was about the same as it is now. Of course, that decision has come back to haunt me. I won't make the same mistake twice.

But it does depend on how much income you need now. I'm a relatively young investor, so I can wait for V's income to rise.

I'm not real concerned about IBM's (lack of) revenue growth. The dividend and buybacks should foster fertile ground for solid shareholder returns until meaningful organic growth returns. And those buybacks should be the fuel for the dividend growth fire, so I think they'll be fine. But they will eventually need to get the top line growing again.

Jun 25 12:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Momintn,

I read that article, but I didn't really read anything that alarmed me or made me think credit card companies are confused. The chips are coming, and people will feel even more secure about their cards. A win-win.

But I agree IBM is also priced attractively here. One of the few clear values out there.

Jun 25 12:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TimmiesRegular,

A license to print money, indeed. The FCF is extremely impressive. This is one of those rare companies where there's almost nothing not to like. Well, other than the low yield.

Jun 25 12:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buy: Baxter International [View article]
    gfmn2000,

I'm with you. I'd prefer the company stay intact. We always hear about cost synergies when companies join up, but then we get to hear about focus when they split. It's all just a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but history does show that these types of moves create a lot of capital appreciation in the short term. I'm not in it for that, but I'd hate to miss out on buying before it takes off.

Jun 19 11:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment