Dividend Sleuth

View Dividend Sleuth's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Want Dividend Security? Buy This High-Dividend Stock With 25 Straight Years Of Dividend Hikes [View article]
    Great REIT... valuation is a bit stretched but a class act.
    Dec 28, 2014. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dover Corporation And How Do You Rank Your Holdings? [View article]
    Today I updated the credit ratings for WPC and KMI in the table above.
    Dec 28, 2014. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Nears 52-Week Low: How Overpriced Chicken And Millennials Are To Blame [View article]
    I now see your entire comment was a quote from the company. Thanks!
    Dec 28, 2014. 01:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, ARG1. Are you a franchisee?
    Dec 28, 2014. 11:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Impact Of The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    It's also "labor avoidance" because I use David Fish's 5-yr DGR figures!
    Dec 28, 2014. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    But Iggy, they're still in the top 25! :-)
    Dec 27, 2014. 10:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Sell My Shares In 3M [View article]
    Jeroen, thanks for your thought-provoking article. Your disclosure says you have no position in MMM. I'm assuming that is incorrect since you indicate you have some MMM shares that you are considering selling.

I have a couple of questions. Are you building a long-term portfolio or do you see yourself primarily as a trader?

I enjoy locking in profits from time to time, but my focus is long-term and my primary objective is to build a diversified portfolio of dividend stocks, with a priority on dividend champions. I'm long MMM and I'm reluctant to sell shares of a company that has raised the dividend annually since 1958, when I was in the second grade. If you are building a long-term portfolio, I would enjoy seeing your current or anticipated holdings. Many of us share our "blueprints" here on SA and I find that very instructive.

My second question echoes Doug's question: Would you redeploy the proceeds in another stock or would you hold cash?

Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 27, 2014. 10:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can DGI Aristocrats Beat The Market? [View article]
    Seng,

Some of your responders have provided good instruction about selection bias. I'm sure you'll incorporate this aspect in any future articles that focus on statistical comparisons. I agree with David Van Knapp that your conclusion about the quality of aristocrats is valid in spite of the statistical flaw of not including those that dropped out of aristocrat status in the comparative study.

I have a 2007 edition of Mergent's Handbook of Dividend Achievers and a 2010 edition. The 2010 edition is much, much thinner because of all the companies that dropped out of achiever status (10+ consecutive years of dividend increases) during the Great Recession. This illustrates that there are no guarantees, but I'm convinced the Dividend Aristocrat universe is a fruitful place to find stocks to study. A portfolio is dynamic, not static, and there is a need for continual monitoring to watch for signs that a company is in danger of losing its Aristocrat status.

Press on!
    Dec 27, 2014. 09:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Impact Of The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Now that we're all on the same page ...

As a graduate of the Jethro Bodine School of Ciphering, I was a little lost in the formulas, but I resonated with: "This shows me that buying stocks earlier in your life and consistently throughout each year (has a) monstrous impact ... on your future wealth...."

:-)
    Dec 27, 2014. 09:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NextEra Energy - Creating Value For Shareholders [View article]
    Thanks, Rich. That's very helpful. I agree that's the range NEE becomes appealing. All the best!
    Dec 27, 2014. 08:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why PepsiCo Is A Much Better Long-Term Dividend Stock Than Coca-Cola [View article]
    Thanks, George. I'll sleep better tonight knowing that you and Indra are on the same page. I appreciate your KO experience and vantage point from the field. The GT icon always evokes radio memories of a tough 7-6 loss to Tech in Atlanta in 1962. You'd think by now I'd be over it. :-) Cheers for 2015!
    Dec 27, 2014. 12:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can DGI Aristocrats Beat The Market? [View article]
    Thanks for a thoughtful article, Seng Hong Teoh. I think you can provide a helpful service to SA readers by focusing on the aristocrats in future articles. David Fish is one of our best resources through his exhaustive work with champions, contenders and challengers.

I appreciated your comparative work regarding the aristocrats' total return. As a person with a retirement income focus, part of the aristocrats' appeal is simply the odds that most of them will continue to raise their dividends. It provides a great "universe" from which to choose stocks for a dividend portfolio.

Keep writing!
    Dec 26, 2014. 09:33 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Impact Of The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Thanks for your article DD. I have a DG column for the 5-year DGR and an adjacent column for the Chowder Rule number. This has helped me avoid some of the stocks with slower dividend growth rates.
    Dec 26, 2014. 09:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NextEra Energy - Creating Value For Shareholders [View article]
    Rich, are you thinking about adding around $87 or so (20% from here and a 3.3% yield)?
    Dec 26, 2014. 08:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your thoughtful article, Bob. I'm long PEP and they seem to be on a good track. I've been pleased that they have resisted the calls to divest Frito Lay. I believe the historic question "Coke or Pepsi?" will become less relevant over time as each company goes its own way. Indeed, I see the beverage industry becoming more complex and varied as other beverages take share in the space once dominated by colas. KO's venture into coffee and energy drinks makes sense. I like PEP's approach to products that are "fun for you," "good for you," and "better for you." I consume more Quaker Oats than cola. I see lots of possibilities for both KO and PEP, and I hope they will be inspired by the likes of Starbucks (tea), WhiteWave (plant based), and Hain Celestial (tea, juice, dairy alternative).
    Dec 26, 2014. 08:21 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment