Dividend Sleuth

View Dividend Sleuth's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Hello, Cape. It's all good, IMO. Better price tomorrow? A chance to add more.
    Aug 2, 2015. 06:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PepsiCo Is A Safe And Sound Investment [View article]
    Thanks, BR for a concise, helpful article. Among consumer staples stocks, I'm long PEP and PG. PEP is a 6% position and PG is a 4% position, which is by design.

Here's a question for the thread: Which two consumer staples stocks would you choose: KO, PEP or PG? Are there others you would choose instead?
    Aug 2, 2015. 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enterprise Products Partners Keeps On Chugging [View article]
    Albert, thanks for a well-written analysis. I'm long EPD. I recently reintroduced it to the portfolio at $28.22.

Given the macro environment, I think EPD has had a good year. I suggest one modification to the article. I would delete the word "has" and add the words "units have" after EPD in the sentence below:

"EPD has not had a good year, down 20% YTD as the market has turned sour on anything related to oil."
    Aug 2, 2015. 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    SI, you've presented a great list, but not for a dividend investor. I believe DIS is the only one that pays a dividend (1.3% yield at present).
    Aug 2, 2015. 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Nicholas, thanks for the good article and the link. I think you improved your portfolio with this trade and I think your assessment of your entry point is accurate--a fair price. If 3M moves into bargain territory, you can add to your position.

CL is one I've never owned, but it is on my watch list as well. I look forward to reading what you have to say about it.

Happy summer!
    Aug 2, 2015. 09:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson Electric: Not A Utility, Not A Radio Company [View article]
    Thanks for the update, HVAC. I think you've made a solid long-term investment.
    Aug 1, 2015. 03:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Introducing The Tactical Dividend Growth Portfolio And Workshop (Part 1) [View article]
    Mike, I don't believe in jinxes, either. But if you ever make the SI cover, I'm ditching the New Nifty 50. Just sayin' ...
    Aug 1, 2015. 12:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Design For A Retirement Income Portfolio [View article]
    You have developed a great income stream, Elliot. My first purchase in the taxable account was EPD. I'm enjoy your comments. You bring a nice combination of experience and reason. All the best to you!
    Aug 1, 2015. 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A 2015 Review Of The Dividend Safety Superstars [View article]
    Bob, thanks for this concise and info-packed article. In today's market, it is particularly helpful to find some undervalued stocks with relatively safe dividend growth. Good work!
    Jul 31, 2015. 06:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, Adam. IMO, this is the most important SA article I've read in a long time. You have forged a new portfolio design. It builds on the DGI model and it seeks to incorporate total return as a clearly-stated goal. It is total return driven by dividend growth. That's a key element and an important contribution to the rather tired debate between DGI adherents and TR practitioners. You have expressed elements of this strategy in your recent articles and this is a great initial statement of your investment philosophy. You've found your voice, your groove, and we will all benefit from your work. I'm eager to hear more!
    Jul 30, 2015. 11:09 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You're Missing The REIT Point: Investor Sentiment Is On Our Side [View article]
    TAS, did you mean the REIT KIM or the pipeline c corp KMI?
    Jul 30, 2015. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dividend Growth Stock Portfolio For July 27, 2015 [View article]
    What moment? Oh. Maybe my memory is part of the problem!

Bob, I think you and Eric should each put that collection of data in an eBook, updated quarterly or semi-annually. I'll sign up!
    Jul 30, 2015. 08:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dividend Growth Stock Portfolio For July 27, 2015 [View article]
    Wow. 210 stocks. I'm going to sit down and rest and think about that for a few minutes. You're making me nostalgic for when I was able to follow that many companies. I'm going to put my vinyl copy of "Hey, Jude" on the turntable and enjoy the moment. :-)
    Jul 30, 2015. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Unfinished Story Of Hercules Technology Growth Capital [View article]
    Thanks, Factoids. We do, indeed think alike on this issue. That's good news for me but perhaps not so good news for you. :-)

I fully concur with your reasoning for harvesting a loss. All these funds are in my IRA, so that is not a factor in my decision, but I arrived at the same conclusion.

Today, I was booked solid from 30 minutes after the market's open until just before the market's close. I'm just now reading your second response, but early this morning I made a decision to sell some of the HTGC stake based on your first response and upon my past experiences that sometimes it's better to sell at a loss if there are compelling opportunities elsewhere than to hold on until the loss is erased. Sometimes the stock doesn't come back--or it may be very slow coming back--and sometimes when it comes back the compelling opportunities aren't there. I have some other reasons for wanting to get the allocations closer to my targets. So, I sold 1/4 of my stake in HTGC this morning and purchased additional shares of OHI, STAG and EVA to move them up to my target allocation.

Your article and your responses were very helpful and I appreciate it!
    Jul 30, 2015. 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Unfinished Story Of Hercules Technology Growth Capital [View article]
    Thanks, Factoids. That's very helpful. I appreciate your work with BDCs and MLPs. FYI, currently, MAIN represents 3.0% of my portfolio and PFLT represents 1.9%.
    All the best to you!