Dividend Sleuth

View Dividend Sleuth's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Kringle And Amazon Announce Partnership [View instapost]
    Thanks, DJ ... Merry Christmas!
    Dec 25, 2014. 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: Out With The Old [View article]
    Thanks for the update, Tom. I count on you to keep me aware of what's on the green horizon. Long HASI and may add some shares in 2015. Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 11:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CenterPoint Energy: The Sweet Spot For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Thanks for another good article, George. I greatly benefit from having you as my utility radar operator. CNP is one I've never studied. It has some intriguing elements, including the general partner venture and their new commitment to growing the dividend. They seem to be taking a page from Wisconsin Energy's playbook. I like the history of 9 consecutive years of increases and their decision to ramp that up considerably. You've given me something to think about, as usual.

Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • High Yield + High Growth + Dividend Champion = Purchase Candidates [View article]
    Thanks, DGIG for a great article. I love the tables and the FAST Graphs. They certainly tell a story. My most recent purchase was HP. I need to dust off my AFL study. It makes me want to "Quack." Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Helmerich & Payne Added To Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for stopping by, Just. The exercise of establishing a possible high and low price for the next five years (and the resulting possible "buy," "hold," and "sell" zones) is designed primarily to determine of a stock is in the buy range. The idea is that you complete a new Stock Selection Guide at least yearly. If sales and earnings are up, the buy and sell ranges tend to go up as well. The possible "sell" range (in this case $118.60 to $139.80) tends to occur in the "out" years. By that time, chances are the sell range would have been adjusted higher, so the sell range established in earlier years is supplanted by a new one and the old one becomes moot. A stock usually doesn't get into the sell range unless the PE ratio has escalated.

So, if HP found itself in the sell range in the next twelve months, I would indeed be tempted to consider selling it (or at least half my stake). That would be a rare occurrence. In any case, another rule of thumb is never sell a stock unless you have completed an updated SSG, because there's a good chance a new SSG would not put it in the sell range.

You asked a good question, which deserved more than a "yes" or "no" answer. I hope it wasn't too "wonky." Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Lifestyle Properties, Inc.: A Giant Mobile Home REIT For The Growing Age Wave [View article]
    Thanks for your article, Reuben. You brought back memories of my old investment club's comparative study of ROC Communities, Chateau Properties and Sun Communities. My favorite was ROC. They merged with Chateau, which was later purchased by privately held Hometown America.

ELS looks interesting. I like the business model and the scale but the debt seems high and the yield seems low given the risk that accompanies the debt.

Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Healthcare REITs Risk Report: Caution Merited [View article]
    Thanks for a very thoughtful, thorough, and timely article, Morgan. It was a great review of 2014 and an insightful preview of 2015.

I have reduced my REIT exposure as a percentage of the portfolio not for the good analytical reasons you cited, but simply for greater sector diversification in the heat of a long bull run. I parted with LTC several weeks ago. It is a solid stock and your chart makes me think it is a possible takeover candidate. I also sold stalwart VTR because it, like LTC, had enjoyed strong price appreciation. I parted with UHT, which I have owned off and on through the years. I've also wondered about it as a possible takeover target. It's hard to find info about UHT.

I kept HCP and increased my stake in it because it seemed relatively undervalued, offered an attractive yield vis-a-vis its peers, and it is a dividend champion.

Best wishes for the New Year!
    Dec 24, 2014. 06:52 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Procter & Gamble's Tightened Focus Hitting The Bottom Line? [View article]
    Thanks, Tim, for a thoughtful article. When PG announced their intent to divest some businesses, CEO Lafley said their 70 to 80 top brands generate 90 percent of sales and 95 percent of profits. So, it appears that the key metric is profitability.

Lafley said PG's organic sales (excluding forex, acquisitions and divestitures) would have grown 4 percent rather than 3 percent had the company already shed the non-core businesses. (http://cin.ci/13uKthb)
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:03 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Helmerich & Payne: Best-In-Class All-Around Driller [View article]
    Well done, Dan. I'm long HP and I agree with your take. All the best!
    Dec 23, 2014. 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Aristocrats For Your Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for your article, William. I'm long GPC. They are fiscally conservative and operationally consistent year after year.
    Dec 22, 2014. 10:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dover Corporation And How Do You Rank Your Holdings? [View article]
    Yes, I was distracted and missed a good opportunity. It won't be the last time I miss one. The good news is that market fluctuations mean there will be other chances to get in it. DOV is still far below its $91 52-week high, just not as appealing as a few days ago.
    Dec 20, 2014. 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Nears 52-Week Low: How Overpriced Chicken And Millennials Are To Blame [View article]
    Thank you for your article, Ryan. I do not disagree with your thesis that people are moving toward healthier eating options. It's not just millennials. Some of us old codgers like to eat at that restaurant you didn't mention in the article. (The fact that so many readers immediately thought of it may indicate that you would get lots of hits if you wrote an article about it!)

I'm long MCD and I'm confident that--based on many years of market savvy and leadership in the industry--they will figure out a healthier menu that offers maximum diversity with minimum confusion, while focusing on simplicity and speed of service. That's not an easy task but I believe they can do it.

I have one question about the article. Is your reference to overpriced chicken referring to one menu item--$1 wings--or their chicken offerings in general?

I compared your present article with the one you wrote about MCD in 2012: http://bit.ly/13NDa5h. Your earlier article was generally positive about MCD. Has the millennial movement away from MCD escalated in the last two years?

Lastly, I'm happy to see a recent college graduate contributing to Seeking Alpha. Keep writing! I'm not sure if your focus is growth or income or both, or if your time horizon is short-term trading or long-term investing. Since your earlier article mentioned MCD's dividend, I'm hoping that your focus is to begin now to build a dividend growth portfolio. It's awesome to think what someone with your interest and skill could accomplish in 40 years of focused pursuit toward that goal.

All the best!
    Dec 20, 2014. 01:12 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Is The Third Most Attractive Time To Buy AT&T In The Past Generation [View article]
    Thanks for the historical perspective, Tim.

I'm long AT&T. It's not my favorite holding but I think it has a place in a diversified dividend portfolio. I'm willing to hold T and pick up more shares when the periodic dips come. My current "add to" target is $31.33 (which would represent a 6% yield at the new 47-cent quarterly dividend).
    Dec 20, 2014. 12:07 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell OIL - $50 Crude By Year-End [View article]
    Markos, I appreciate your reminder about the threat of terrorism. That is a potential "black swan" that is always in the back of my mind. It makes sense to be on high alert during this season. However, if a terrorist act has its origin in the Middle East, I'm thinking the price of oil might go up rather than down. I hope we never find out, of course, but based on prior incidents of elevated international tension, it seems that the markets view the availability of oil to be at risk, hence a more valuable commodity.
    Dec 19, 2014. 11:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron: I Revise My $150 Price Target Due To Lower Oil Prices [View article]
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Dec 19, 2014. 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment