Dividends Paid

View Dividends Paid's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    Excellent points on WMT's other strengths. I try to do the 50,000 feet view for my SWOT analysis, otherwise I'd be writing all day. I still view the international business as an opportunity, but it has certainly become a strength as well.

Small world, I also live in St. Louis, but I live in a loft downtown so its hard for me to take advantage of Sam's Club with my limited storage space. The Wal-mart's I have been too in the area have shown improvement the past few years which is nice to see as an investor and customer.
    Jan 15, 2012. 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    I'm still working on my analysis model for REITs Tom. I hope to have something done soon. My only REIT holding is Realty Income (O), so that will probably be the first one I analyze.
    Jan 15, 2012. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    Ha, great idea Tai! I'm actually working on that as well as an REIT / MLP version. An article I recently posted (http://seekingalpha.co...) made me think to do just what you mentioned. There are a few stocks from that article that I'm doing further DD on and would like to do this type of analysis without punishing those stocks for being young dividend payers. Thanks for the comment.
    Jan 14, 2012. 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    That certainly is a threat Michael. In the current economic environment its more about saving money than customer experience I think, but once the economy turns up WMT would be wise to make the needed improvement to retain specific customers.
    Jan 13, 2012. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    Thanks golden. I agree with your assessment on their employees, I think federal and state minimums will continue to guide WMT's labor rates though. As those go up, they should be able to offset it by passing the costs to the consumer without much notice.
    Jan 13, 2012. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Dividend Growth Stock Analysis [View article]
    And I bet you love your yield on cost T4Y. I think you'll be enjoying double digit increases for the foreseeable future.
    Jan 13, 2012. 11:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Lifetime Income Generators [View article]
    We share a similar strategy and similar picks. I recently posted an analysis of MO as a future dividend growth stock that was not well received by some shareholders. Domestic tobacco use is not a high-growth prospect anymore, but international is a different story. PM appears to have more potential these days. Am long KMB & INTC.
    Jan 13, 2012. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Altria Group [View article]
    I'll check him out, thanks for the tip Joergens.
    Dec 15, 2011. 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Altria Group [View article]
    I agree Chowder and have been trying to come up with some variables for such cases. REITs will be another instance, so some tweaking is needed in those situations. If MO's payout ratio would have been under 75% I was going to award a point based on the type of business they are in. Since it was so high, I decided to not mention it nor change my default 60%.

Excellent point though, I intend to address this in a future analysis. Thanks for the constructive comment.
    Dec 15, 2011. 03:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Altria Group [View article]
    Thanks a lot Bruce, your comments are greatly appreciated. I'm glad you understand that my focus is on future dividends! Until I find a power source for my time machine to produce the 1.21 gigawatts needed, I will have to buy dividend stocks for their distributions from the present forward.
    Dec 15, 2011. 12:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Altria Group [View article]
    I have never held MO, no. I've considered investing in it on several occasions but never pulled the trigger. I do wish I would have invested before the Kraft and PM spin-offs. My personal investment goals is for long-term (20+years) dividend growth and MO's reliance on tobacco to generate much of that growth is a red flag for me.

In regards to future litigation, despite the Master Settlement Agreement I have little doubt lawyers will find a way to bring lawsuits against the company in the future. I am also concerned with international lawsuits. Will PM take the brunt of those? Perhaps that was a major reason for that spin-off, but I can't imagine that MO is entirely safe from those as well.

As I stated in my conclusion, MO is a solid investment for current income, but I do not feel it is a strong dividend growth income stock for future (20+ years) income.
    Dec 15, 2011. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Altria Group [View article]
    If I could go back in time and buy MO in 1970 or 1988 I absolutely would. The company is much leaner now than it was and the lucrative spin-offs appear to be a thing of the past.
    Dec 15, 2011. 10:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Microsoft Corporation [View article]
    That's the best time to buy quality dividend growth stocks. Ten years ago MSFT was significantly overvalued (as was most stocks). I feel the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction now, its time to take advantage of it being undervalued.
    Dec 2, 2011. 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Kimberly-Clark Corporation [View article]
    Those are certainly good examples of Threats. I try to keep the SWOT analysis at the 50,000 feet view, otherwise it would take a great deal more time than it already does. But a pharma's reliance on a single drug for a large portion of their revenue seems like a big one.

I appreciate the suggestions since my rating system is so new. I also have put MO on my list of stocks analyze in the coming weeks. I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of dividend champions as well.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Nov 17, 2011. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retire In Half The Time With Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Nice article Rodger. This does a great job simplifying the most important aspect of dividend investing. I may have to link this article to a blog post.
    Nov 16, 2011. 11:18 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment