Dividends4Life

View Dividends4Life's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, AFL, APD, AVY, CINF, CL, CLX, COP, CSCO, CTBI, CVS, DCI, DOV, ED, EMR, ERIE, FDO, GD, GIS, GPC, HAS, HNZ, HRL, INTC, ITW, JNJ, LEG, LM, LMT, LOW, MCD, MDT, MSFT, NSC, OXY, PEP, PG, STAR, T, TE, TGT, UGI, UTX, VZ, WAG, WM, WMT, XOM
  • What's Your Retirement Vision? [View instapost]
    Soupy: Thanks for reading!

Dec 30, 2014. 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nucor Corporation, Best-Of-Breed In A Tough Industry [View article]
    Thanks Hardog. I refuse to ignore the true meaning of Christmas.

Best Wishes and Merry Christmas,
    Dec 25, 2014. 12:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Windows Is Still A Central Part Of Microsoft's Business [View article]
    heglimp: It really gives me no concern. Between the last evaluation and this one MSFT closed fiscal 2014. With the addition of a new year's data, there is always some noise in the system. The biggest driver of the change in calculated fair value is the decline in the dividend growth rate.

Dec 23, 2014. 12:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Consolidated Edison, Inc.: A Steady Dividend Stock, But With A High Price And A High Free Cash Flow Payout [View article]
    Really? Is that of Free Cash Flow or Earnings? I would question your other sources if they are calling it a free cash flow payout.

See below from SEC filings:

ED 9 Month Financials

ED 2013 Full Year Financials

+$2,552 2013 Full Year Operating Cash Flow
    -$1,238 2013 9 Months Operating Cash Flow
    --------
    =$1,314 Q4 2013 Operating Cash Flow
    +$1,751 2014 9 Months Operating Cash Flow
    --------
    =$3,065 Sep 2014 Trailing 12 Mos Operating Cash Flow
    ----------------------...

+$2,538 2013 Full Year Capx (2339+199)
    -$1,850 2013 9 Months Capx (1701+149)
    --------
    =$688 Q4 2013 Capx
    +$1,815 2014 9 Months Capx (1663+152)
    --------
    =$2,503 Sep 2014 Trailing 12 Mos Capx
    ----------------------...

+$3,065 Sep 2014 Trailing 12 Mos Operating Cash Flow
    -$2,503 Sep 2014 Trailing 12 Mos Capx
    ----------------------...
    =$562 Sep 2014 Trailing 12 Mos Free Cash Flow
    /294 Sep 2014 Adjusted weighted average common shares outstanding
    ----------------------...
    $1.91 Trailing 12 Mos Free Cash Flow Per Share

$2.505 (.63 x 3 + .615) Trailing 12 Mos dividend Per Share

$2.505 / $1.91 = 131.15%

My 132% used the full numbers. I rounded above for display convenience.

I would be very interested in you sharing how your other sources calculate their number. Please post it here!

Dec 5, 2014. 10:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Lessons Learned About Investing In Dividend Growth Stocks [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words. All of us have had bumps in the road that have made us better investors. Those of us that found DGI seem to have done quite well, and have no desire to go back.

Dec 4, 2014. 09:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Waste Management, Inc. Produces Annuity-Like Cash Flows, But Currently Expensive [View article]
    Canadian Engineer: I use Morningstar's sector classification, though I don't always agree with it. In this case, I would hesitate putting WM in the utility classification due to competition. Our local municipality just fired WM and hired a competitor. You can't do that with the water or electric company.

Nov 14, 2014. 10:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    KenN513: DOV is one that I track in my database. I currently have it as a 2-Star (FCF Payout and Debt to Total Cap are excellent). It has decent dividend growth, but its yield and current valuation keep me for giving it serious consideration.

Nov 14, 2014. 09:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Corporation, Currently Undervalued And A Strong Buy [View article]
    Horse Sense: I am very bullish on XOM. They have the size and resources to adapt to change and, I believe, the culture to do so.

Nov 11, 2014. 07:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top- And Bottom-Performing Dividend Stocks Through September [View article]
    Mike: When i got to the office I made the change. The editors have now released it.

Oct 29, 2014. 10:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top- And Bottom-Performing Dividend Stocks Through September [View article]
    All: Yes, RTN was my error. In my IRR calculation I used 12/31/14 as the start date, not 12/31/13. When I corrected the date RTN has a positive return of 12.8% for the year.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oct 29, 2014. 07:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • United Technologies Corp. Has A Strong Balance Sheet And Excellent Free Cash Flow [View article]
    gccmd: I am very transparent as to how I calculate my fair value. As a dividend growth investor, it is primarily driven by the dividend growth rate and current yield. I use a very conservative estimate of the dividend growth rate. Here is a link that describes how I calculate fair value:

I have no idea how S&P calculates their fair value.

Oct 20, 2014. 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy And Hold Is Not Buy And Forget [View article]
    Mr. Slattery: I am actually not a dividend income investor, but a dividend growth investor. Dividend income investors tend to own higher yielding securities and hold them even when the dividend is not growing (I have a few of these, but it is not the focus of my portfolios).

Let me say also that you are one of the few total return investors that understands that there are other types of investors. Most of the ones I've talked with just don't understand that someone would invest (or have different goals) than they do.

As for GE, the day I sold it I knew it would be a good capital appreciation stock, but as noted above my goal is dividend growth and it no longer met the criteria for my portfolio.

Oct 16, 2014. 06:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy And Hold Is Not Buy And Forget [View article]
    These are the days that true long-term investors live for! Like many others, I wouldn't mind if the market continued down. I do wish I had more cash to invest. Down markets are where the largest long-term gains are born.

Oct 16, 2014. 08:59 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Communications Inc. Is Focused On Generating Cash And Lowering Debt [View article]
    Robert: It is a concern. I saw in an article last year that more people collect a pension check from VZ than work there, and its pension expense is more than it is spending on capital expenditures. With the market potentially heading toward a correction, the situation could get worse before it gets better.

Oct 15, 2014. 11:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    user1416: Once a quarter I validate the MMA rate by looking at a 20-Teasury. On the date I checked it in early October it was 2.98%. I will update it again around the first of the year.

You also have to consider risk. VZ has a low FCF payout, but is carrying a lot of debt, some of which could be variable (don't remember how much off the top of my head). Rising interest rates will cause problems for companies with variable rates. I think VZ is wise to aggressively attack its debt. The biggest thing hurting its valuation now is its low dividend growth rate, which probably won't increase much until the debt is significantly lowered.

Oct 14, 2014. 06:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment