Dmitry Kovalchuk

View Dmitry Kovalchuk's Comments BY TICKER:
  • T-Mobile/BlackBerry reunion ends year-plus spat [View news story]
    Quote:"I think the very first reply on that twitter feed sumed it up nicely: "nobody cares" http://bit.ly/1IXRAjH "

The guy who has written this tweet didn't care so much, that he decided to post 2 more replies there hours later. ;-)
    May 9, 2015. 05:37 AM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors +4% after delivery update [View news story]
    surferbroadband, my last Tesla short has earned me around 25% before taxes in 3 months period. If that's what you call "flushing money down the toilet", then I guess I will keep doing it.

Aside of that it is amusing to read Teslarians who are claiming shorts to be losing money while the stock is still down almost 30% from its September 2014 highs.
    Apr 6, 2015. 04:54 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors +4% after delivery update [View news story]
    Can't decide whether I should re-open my short position (though options) now or wait for the stock to go a bit higher first.
    Apr 6, 2015. 10:42 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BBRY: Earnings Predictions & Overall Comments [View instapost]
    Maks, what I fail to understand is why so much hatred towards BlackBerry? Every second tech writer, online commenter or an analyst, are all skewed towards negativity each time BlackBerry even gets mentioned.
    Mar 26, 2015. 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    Denis III, for me virtual keyboard is like caffeine-free coffee or alcohol-free beer. I am not ready to do something like this to me.
    Mar 24, 2015. 03:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    Dezeee, I am not sure I can follow you. Would you elaborate, please?
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    TimRunge, you won the contest with your "pecking at glass" line! I am still laughing.
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    So, Andreas, why can't BlackBerry occupy this niche and sell that kind of cellphones to strange people like me? :-)
    Mar 24, 2015. 12:17 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    KIA, thx god BlackBerry is not the Tesla, since Tesla is burning cash like there is no tomorrow. ;-)
    Now seriously, I truly believe that there is a place for BlackBerry in the hardware market. There are people who love their hardware/software combination, there also people who simply love the brand.

I think that if BlackBerry turns its back on these people then it will be their demise. They have already betrayed some of their loyal customers when they said that there would be no BB 10 upgrade for the PlayBook, which they have officially promised before.
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:49 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    Andreas Hopf, even if I get used to a phone with another OS, I still need a phone with a big screen, decent battery life, fast browser and a physical keyboard. What should I go for if there is no BlackBerry?

There is no one who can feel in this niche
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:42 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    steve head, you are hurt by mobile madness 2015 results so far? :-)

Existence of BlackBerry fanbase is a proof that there are people willing to buy their hardware.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:35 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    Denis III, thanks for your suggestion. The problem with the Note 4 is that it is too big and doesnt have keyboard. Basically the only thing that Passport doesn't have and note 4 has is this mouse like pen, which I am not sure I actually need. :-)
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:22 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    If BlackBerry stops selling hardware then a lot of people, including myself will be left with no cellphone to buy. Frankly, if there is no BlackBerry phones out there, I don't know what cellphone to use. I tried all other operating systems and I prefer BB 10 above all.

As long as they manage to sell small quantities and stay above break-even they should build their hardware. John Chen said back then, that Passport at 200K pre-orders was already profitable, if that was true, then whats the point in abandoning software? Hell, 0,4% of the market share is still a market share. In other industries there are niche companies who offer highly specialized products and are considered successful. For example automotive, what is market share of Tesla? or Ferarri? do you really think that Fiat sells every ferarri at a loss?

Taking BlackBerry's approach to security I consider it highly unlikely that they will give up on hardware:

Quote:
    "BlackBerry signs all of its hardware to ensure device integrity. The keys are injected at manufacturing and verified whenever the devices connect to the BlackBerry network. The keys are also used to verify the software of the device."
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:05 AM | 34 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry launches $2,380 ultra-secure tablet [View news story]
    Exactly KIA, from all the buzz and press releases it is still not clear what exactly is BlackBerry/Secusmart providing.
    Mar 15, 2015. 03:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors roundup: Management realignment, F/X concerns, Orwellian twist [View news story]
    jerry-j, the stock is still very prone to jumps up on hot air. therefore I don't rule out a recovery.
    Mar 14, 2015. 06:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment