Doctor Dividend

View Doctor Dividend's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Not All Dividend Increases Are The Same: 2 Dividend Trends That Can Make A Difference [View article]
    Though I understand the premise, something in my mathematical/science brain says the percentage on the dividend growth rate has to decrease over time.

2 stocks just raised their dividend $.10 per share for the year.

Stock A's dividend went from $.20/yr to $.30/yr (a 50% increase)
    Stock B just went from $1 to $1.10/yr (only a 10% increase)

As someone else mentioned, it says nothing about yield, nothing about total dividends paid, just one facet of a complex issue.
    Apr 30 03:59 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • During Accumulation Phase, It's OK To Be Concentrated [View article]
    Great point. I think people believe I have to have 20,30, 50 positions to start or I just can't do this, so I will wait. It's kind of like the Confucian saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step." Start with one or two positions then search a different industry for the third, then something else for the fourth. Eventually you will have the diversity you need.

Apr 19 02:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Self Directed IRAs: Tax Advantaged Investment Income From Novel Investments [View article]
    Not only that. Let's say you want a rental property in your IRA. You can only use the money in your IRA and nothing else. You can't mix "personal" money and retirement money. Big no-no. How you would get caught I have no idea, but you can create a big mess if you don't have enough cash cushion.

Apr 16 06:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio: Q1 Update [View article]
    Integrator:

I am not looking through your entire blog, but how much is invested? What is your portfolio dividend yield currently? I know I could work backwards and figure it out, but I am just too lazy to try.

Apr 15 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy - A Stock To Buy With REIT Dividends [View article]
    Why would you need to know basis for a Roth? the gov't got their slice when you put it in. You don't need to know what gains or losses came from what you took out of the Roth. The same applies for an IRA or 401K distribution as well. The only difference is that distribution is fully taxed.

Apr 8 03:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: Q1 2013 Review [View article]
    Dang, buyitcheap (comment #2)!!. Now you are into my stream of consciousness. In my state, you don't need a prenup (though it would help). What I would do is this if one is getting married:

If you are getting married on April 10th, you have all the statement and account values as of April 9th. You have concrete documentation of what you brought to the marriage and keep is as a separate account. You intermingle funds, you are screwed In a community property state like mine, the EARNINGS or future value of the account is split 50:50 (theory, reality may be different) because you were together. Using #s:

You go in with $50,000. 5 years later, you get divorced and the account is $100,000. She gets 50% of the earnings (or $25K). You get 75K.

Please note: I am not a lawyer. I am just going through the fun as we speak and wish I never knew this. But the reason I was originally writing was DGM's comment:

"...in my Roth IRA will not be taxed. I showed in a previous article that taxes have a negative effect on long-term compounding of dividend income, so it is helpful to reduce the impact of taxes whenever possible."

Those that are deferring taxes must look at the purchasing power. You will nearly ALWAYS be better going Roth first before anything else. In fact, here is a link to a free book to explain it better than I can. Enjoy. http://bit.ly/XlU17Q

Apr 8 02:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Reluctant Spouse [View article]
    NIschill:

Thank you for your comment. As I said in my first comment, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but when someone goes from not caring to caring a lot, you unfortunately have to put up your guard, whether you are the man or the woman. Like you, I have not hidden anything from my wife or my lawyer and you can't do anything that is outside of paying the bills when a divorce is filed. I can't buy or sell one share of stock right now even if I wanted to, But she will want more than 50%, way more, in a state that is community property. Even at under age 40, she will be better off than probably 90% of all households in this country, and better than 98% of those in our age group.

I am happy to see you have your financial house in order even if your spouse does not. Since the filing, my wife has been a bigger financial doofus (along with some other family decisions) than I even realized. You think the fight will be bad over splitting assets, wait till she hears I want 50% time with my two kids.

DD

P.S. I have my article 95% penned, I am waiting for things to be finalized to put numbers to it without any consequence. Stay tuned.
    Apr 6 09:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Reluctant Spouse [View article]
    Bob:

I commend the article, but the article is skewed to age and the longevity of your marriage. My wife was in the same boat. And then in November, she says she wants to know the finances. So I gather everything together, sum everything up in 3 pages in terms of accounts, brokerage, life insurance, who to contact, how to dispose of assets, etc. Two months later, she files for divorce. More than just a coincidence.

I don't want my comment to become a pity party. I will write an article when the divorce is final in terms of costs of divorce, split of assets, and my guess of how long this will delay my retirement, not ours (who cares about hers anymore?) I just spoke to one of my patients who just said, "Divorce for women is their new mid-life crisis." OK, so my comment is not the most upbeat, but it is a word of caution for the younger guys who peruse these articles to see if your spouse has never been interested and all of a sudden is, be wary.

Apr 4 11:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Case For Which BHP Billiton To Own [View article]
    Other stocks: unilever, rds, gef. There are not many I can think of
    Mar 30 02:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Munger Built His Fortune By Seeking Income First, Capital Gains Later [View article]
    Forget about Munger, I am more impressed than Tim had 6 articles all published today!!!

Mar 11 10:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Managing Your Portfolio - Selling [View instapost]
    bitly:

Pendragon And AgAu are both correct. All shares have the same current yield. You are holding on to the yield on cost like it matters. It just means you made a wise investing decision compared to those initial dollars invested. Nothing more, nothing less.

As Ag referenced, you want to sell the shares that show losses. I too have TD and you should be able to look at everything via tax lots. Sell the ones that show you have a loss to offset other shares that you may have a gain to end up as close to zero dollars in capital gains as possible. And of course, giving to charities is noble as well.

Mar 7 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better Retirement With Dividend Income [View article]
    GD:

You reduce the RMD by reducing the total value (the nut) of your IRA before you reach 70 1/2 years of age. If the nut is less as of 12/31, the RMD will be less for the next year.

The link I gave to Lange's book, and it is the whole book, is really good (I am now 75% done) and goes through why you would want to start converting some money into Roths sooner rather than later (provided you have the cash flow to do so). It helps with estate purposes and purchasing power. The purchasing power is the key phrase - what money do I really have after tax to spend on whatever I want?

Feb 21 01:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better Retirement With Dividend Income [View article]
    Always:

this may help you: http://bit.ly/XlU17Q

I am only on page 71, but I think in Chapter 8 and 9, Lange shows you how much and when to do this properly. His thinking goes as this:

Yes, you will pay taxes on the conversion, and yes, you will have less money. However, you will have more PURCHASING POWER because the withdrawals you make (if you need to) will be tax-free. And inflation doesn't count because it would affect both pre-tax and after-tax dollars.

Feb 20 07:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Buy Zynga For The Young And Restless Portfolio [View article]
    RS:

I asked this on another one of your articles. This is the Dividends and Income section. What does this have to with dividends and/or income?

Feb 12 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How One Retiree Is Muddling Through Dividend Investing: Part I [View article]
    Martin:

Welcome aboard. You have certainly had an eventful life and there is something soul-enriching about putting yourself out there and saying, "I have screwed up, but I am now trying to make things better." I unfortunately, have a new article that I will soon pen that will show how to be a DGI investor and lose half your money in the process. So stay tuned!!

One quick note: The DFA funds you mentioned have some of the lowest fees out there for mutual funds. Amazing company and research behind what they do with two of the brightest economic minds out there in Fama and French. The problem is that you have to use advisors to get to them (vs Vanguard) and that is where the high fees may lie.

Jan 28 12:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment