Doctor Dividend

View Doctor Dividend's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Retiring From Active Portfolio Management In 2013? What Is Your Plan B? [View article]
    MrBob:

That brings up an excellent point. Two firms that specialize in DGI are Lowell Miller's: http://www.mhinvest.com and Deschaine and Company: http://bit.ly/WeDo9x

The publications on the latter are beyond top notch. From the 4Q2009 to the present is pure gold.

Jan 2, 2013. 01:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happens When Non-Spouses Inherit My IRA? [View article]
    Lakey:

If things revert back, then 1 million of an estate is going to affect a lot of people. Second, a million just isn't what it used to be. I would be hard pressed to leave anything to your child and maybe your wife can gift $13,000 each year with no tax consequences to start siphoning the estate, but at her discretion.

Just a thought.

Jan 2, 2013. 12:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happens When Non-Spouses Inherit My IRA? [View article]
    maxnsl:

First, I would talk to the wealthy child about what your plan is or show him this article. Second, I personally would make a 2nd IRA account and put 25% of the value (assuming you want to split things equally) still naming the wealthy child as the primary beneficiary and the grandchild as the contingent beneficiary. Why? Because now your wealthy child has flexibility. If he wants to keep the account in his name as the beneficiary, then he can. But he can recuse this part of the inheritance and it will go to the next in line, which would be your grandchild and then your grandchild can stretch that IRA for 60-70+ years. That's a long time to let tax-deferred compounding take place and it can look like a 10 digit phone number when all the withdrawals are done.

The other option is Scenario 4 and writing "per stirpes" after each beneficiaries names, but I personally like the first option better.

Hope that made sense. If not PM me.

Dec 31, 2012. 12:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happens When Non-Spouses Inherit My IRA? [View article]
    David:

Though I agree, it is to a point. Unless they are an attorney who understands the tax code, and the IRA part of that to be more precise, they can still mess up all of your plans. I am not saying it to scare anyone, but the IRS is not the legal system.

Dec 30, 2012. 06:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • No Lost Decade If You Bought Dividend Stocks [View article]
    The more you want to protect your income stream, the more you will ADD more companies to diversify any negative effects on what could happen to any one company you may own. Once I really understood that concept (thanks again, chowder), you will probably want to have anywhere between 33 and 50 companies (2-3% per).

Dec 25, 2012. 11:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Does My IRA Get Disposed Of? [View article]
    The RMD schedule is linked in my article. As far as expecting IRA changes, there is NO DOUBT in my mind they will change. But with however many baby boomers retiring, they need to have an idea of what they can do now. How long will my article be "accurate?" Your guess is as good as mine.

Dec 21, 2012. 04:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just How Do I Handle My IRA? [View article]
    rwisnsr:

Thanks for the compliment. This stuff is not easy and one little error and your heirs get royally screwed. I have no affiliation at all, but I am highly considering using irahelp.com to find an advisor to make sure even I did all of this correctly.

Dec 20, 2012. 01:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just How Do I Handle My IRA? [View article]
    Tagsr:

I believe you are correct. My first thought is, "God, I hope I am not working that long." My second thought is something many others have shared and that is while you are still working, you can start transferring money from your 401k to an IRA if you are older than 59.5 years of age. I forget the exact phrase you use with HR, but it is allowed. This gives you more flexibility on where to invest your retirement dollars.

I couldn't think of everything, but thanks for bringing this point up.

Dec 20, 2012. 01:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just How Do I Handle My IRA? [View article]
    Curreyr:

you are getting a lot of variables into a very small question. Part 2 will explain this in greater detail and you can get everyone their respective share without screwing up the process. But the very simplistic answer is this: Don't use trusts as the beneficiaries because trusts don't have a life expectancy. Only use trusts if the brokerage firm requires it because one of the beneficiaries is a minor.

Dec 19, 2012. 09:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just How Do I Handle My IRA? [View article]
    Dave:

That is correct. The spouse transfer is the easiest of the rules to understandand and gives the most flexibility. It's only when it is anyone other than your spouse that Part 2 will hopefully help.

Dec 19, 2012. 09:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Combining The Financial Sector With A Great Dividend For Any Portfolio [View article]
    Stem23:

Which leads me to my question. How does one determine any ETF is at "fair/under/over value"? I like the idea of it, but I can't wrap my head around how this price is a true reflection of its intrinsic value. If someone has a rough formula, I'm all ears.

Dec 11, 2012. 10:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chasing Dividend Yield [View article]
    Rob:

I'll play your game and add a criteria that I very RARELY deviate from. I have mentioned it in some previous comments and keeps me grounded to really minimize what I look at because there is just not enough time in the day. It's the current dividend yield relative to the stock's own history. The concept was first authored by Geraldine Weiss and now continued by Kelley Wright, both of Investment Quality trends, iqtrends.com.

As simply stated, each stock, within its own history, will have a range of being undervalued (a high dividend yield) and overvalued (having a low yield). Something can be undervalued because of either share price depreciation or an increase in the annual dividend, or both. Vice-versa for the overvalued side. So, a company like 3M (and I am making the ranges up here), may be undervalued at a 3.0% yield and overvalued at 1.2%, where as a long time utility like DUK could be undervalued at 8% and overvalued at a dividend yield of 3%.

IQT has a strict criteria on what makes their list; for my own spreadsheet, I am much more lax to try and find some new up-and-comers. This theory is a bit "squishy," which makes some people abject to the idea of this concept, but I think it is a great way to not look at an MLP and say, "Wow!! A 10% yield. I'm all in." 10% yield by itself has no context, but if it is within the margin of safety as by at least this one variable, I feel much better. Using MLPs as an industry, if you do this on your own, you are going to see obscene yields for 2008 and 2009 on the undervalued side, so back to the "squishy-ness" of the concept.

Off the top of my head, those that fall into the undervalued category and owned by many are MSFT, INTC, MCD, WAG, and (I think) CVX is close.

Best of luck.

Dec 4, 2012. 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividends Truly Beneficial To Shareholders? [View article]
    To piggyback on your thought ScottU, what if a project is considered a success, but within the context of the entire business, it is an failure? Using #s, if a company normally generates a 25% ROE, but this one endeavor generates ONLY 20%, it brings the overall company down. Is it a failure? Most would say no, but this goesback to the case by case idea.

One other point, Dane: You used OHI as your healthcare REIT example. REITs, like BDCs and MLPs, have to distribute 90% of FFO. As much as they may want to hold on to the cash for organic or acquisitive growth, by law they can't. So is your recommendation that they dilute ownership with more stock or taking on more debt and having higher interest payments?

Nov 29, 2012. 02:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Paying Whole Life Insurance - The Alternative Fixed Income Vehicle (Part 5 Of 5) [View article]
    Ganz:

Glad you are following me, but I am all out of material, so I have no idea what my next article could possibly be on.

Second, I will be happy to be your heir. The long lost aunt or uncle I didn't know I even had.

Third, and this question is truly serious: Why would you utilize life insurance at all? With no heirs as you mention and there is no one to support, what made you purchase any life insurance in the first place? Even if we are talking about term, the question would apply.

To try and answer your question, I don't know if YOU can use the death benefit, unless you fake your death and you are your own beneficiary, but if your insurance agent is familiar with IBC, then you should talk to him about using the CV as you please and projections of how much can be utilized. Remember, the death benefit will go down, which will make your newly appointed heir :) a little bit less happy.

Best of luck.

Nov 19, 2012. 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Laid-Back Portfolio Adds StoneMor [View article]
    All of the customers are "laid-back," permanently. Just had to throw that one in there.

Nov 15, 2012. 10:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment