DoctoRx

View DoctoRx's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    jstratt, thanks for this impressive list. Nicely done - Author's Pick.
    May 21, 2015. 01:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    thomas, good point about JNJ's style and the Imbruvica example. JNJ is the big dog and takes what it wants and no more.

'632, you are correct. However, my prelim analysis of this deal suggests to me that JNJ intends to make a profit on its stock purchase. Just my guess...
    May 21, 2015. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    '632, as always an incisive post - thanks for your readership and many contributions.

Tho perhaps you might not use the term "stupid" if you were to post this again.
    May 21, 2015. 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Apple Ultra HD TV Could Be A Better Growth Driver Than Smartwatches [View article]
    Alcaraz, I echo the above comments. Your point about Apple's margins omits that it earns its higher margins with higher quality physical products (iPads last almost forever) and of course numerous SW and HW innovations.

If Apple just can't get enough innovation in a product, it will not get into a business line simply b/c some fanbois will buy the product. That POV is why, much as I love my biotechs, AAPL is by far my #1 stockholding.

They will design and market a big screen TV if and when they can innovate enough. Until then, they'll just have to struggle along as is... and I doubt TC is losing sleep over Tag Heuer.
    May 21, 2015. 01:04 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    '371, what was unbelievable was that the commenter and I bought the exact same GILD calls at the same time. I think both he and I bought naked calls b/c we're bullish.
    May 21, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    Humble, yes, many/most investors will want any exposure to biotech, and market sectors in general, thru ETFs/mutual funds. I use IBB as my proxy for larger-cap biotech, tho for some reason the last time I looked, Mylan - a generic company - was in IBB. XBI is more adventurous, with a much higher concentration of development-stage co's.
    May 21, 2015. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    lgobner, well said; you make several good points. GLTU.
    May 21, 2015. 08:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    Garrrrrlic, you're welcome; GLTU.
    May 21, 2015. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    DoconStocks, glad you liked it, and thanks for commenting.

Has this deal capped the upside? My thought is that it has instead made ACHN much more investable. It's still a speculation, and true investors rather than traders will have to wait for a possible reward. I never thought that GILD would buy ACHN, because if it did to get ACH-3102, it would have had to get rid of ledipasvir for antitrust reasons. So it was a "Maybe" situation I didn't want to speculate on by buying ACHN.

As readers know, I'm comfortable investing some funds in development-stage companies. If a company is really early-stage, as ACHN is, and as XLRN that I have written about and own is, I generally require a large partner; XLRN has CELG. So ACHN now meets my criteria to get some risk DoctoRx capital. I think the upside is large, and will present my thoughts on target prices etc. in the future when I've clarified my own views on the topic.
    May 21, 2015. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Critique Of Carl Icahn's Apple Fair Value Revaluation To $240 Per Share [View article]
    KenC, I appreciate you reading and being an active commenter. You said in part:

"Any increase in foreign income tax rates, will be met by an equal decrease in US tax on that foreign income."

That makes my core point. At some point, Apple gets to about a 40% US + California tax rate. But it's only booking 26%. Yet Icahn wants to assume 20%.

So since there's no "future tax deal" that actually exists in the present, where you and I are making investment decisions, I'm comfortable sticking with 26%. Of course, all this is is my choice, and I have no problems with you or anyone else, or Mr. Market, investing based on your assumptions about the future.

I agree with your comments about "One shudders" when thinking of other companies that have aggressively booked even lower tax rates...

This is one of the reasons I own AAPL and not those other tech giants. Another is that AAPL uses GAAP, not non-GAAP in its EPS presentation.

GLTU, and thanks again for commenting.
    May 21, 2015. 08:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jim, thanks for your well-stated comment, and thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy the SA experience, and I look forward to your continued readership and comments.

Doc
    May 20, 2015. 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Interesting thoughts, Glenway. I'm on the lookout for it now. GLTU w GLW and all your other investments.

Doc
    May 20, 2015. 11:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alex, thanks very much for reading and commenting. I totally agree that Icahn was "complaining" that Apple is over-reporting its taxes and that 20% is in line with what other multinationals are reporting. That's correct. But I'm trying to pierce the veil of fictional accounting conventions and get to the facts that as an American and Californian corporation, Apple can only reward a share of stock two ways: it can buy and retire it; or it can dividend the owner of the share. That's it. All the rest is trading in which the same share changes owners. And in order to reward that share, the cash must be repatriated and US and Cali taxes must be paid. For Yahoo, which I wrote about extensively for over a year, that combined rate from the BABA sale was about 40%. That's a lot more than 26%.

Then we get into the tax holiday possibility. Who knows? And who knows what limits might be placed on one? $200 B by one company? That's real money, even for the US Govt to allow to be very lightly taxed (allegedly).

So I'm sticking with Apple's 26% and feel that the entire multinational tax story is a potential snakepit eventually for shareholders. Don't know but I like it that Apple's more conservative than most of its peers.

Re your second paragraph, Alex, I'm not certain what your point is. Are you referring to one of Mark Hibben's recent Apple articles?

Thanks again for your input.
    May 20, 2015. 11:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    Dr. Rich, I fully agree. ACHN couldn't go it alone. And there's no better company to partner with than JNJ.
    May 20, 2015. 11:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought The Dips In Both Gilead And Achillion Today [View article]
    Ptatty, I believe that JNJ has previously acquired a nuc. And ACHN has one. Either would "replace" sofosbuvir, which is a nuc.
    May 20, 2015. 11:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment