DoctoRx

View DoctoRx's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    Sandy, likely Apple is mulling over the opportunity that you laid out. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with their options. Of course, as with TV's, it may take a while...
    Feb 23, 2015. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    John,

The basic rebuttal to Reeves is that Apple has disrupted sector after sector, always with skepticism.

The actual design of a car, and sales, is quite profitable on the higher end.

In addition, Apple is all about improving mobile rechargeable power supply for its iDevices and mobile Macs. So there would be benefits to the entire business from researching battery technology.

But, the main point of my article was not that Apple is going to go forward with this (alleged, apparent, take your pick) project. It's that it points toward the way out of the computer box where inevitably the process of deflation, market saturation, etc means that Apple can't grow just from selling screens in front of microprocessors. Not yet, but someday. Expanding to designing and (co-)marketing different devices that are "smart" allows Apple a growth path and therefore also allows AAPL to (maybe) get a higher P/E. That's my core thesis. An Apple Car? I just don't know enough about the extent of the competitive advances they could achieve.
    Feb 23, 2015. 02:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    F1ydave, assuming the detailed "rumors" have some validity, then Apple's analyses will have concluded otherwise. I would think that they would think that non-gasoline burning vehicles are going to give way to battery-powered vehicles, perhaps with a role for nat gas-powered vehicles as well.
    Feb 23, 2015. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    Jcenzo, I said designer and marketer. Apple is not vertically integrated in the sense that it uses Foxconn etc. to assemble the products it designs in California and markets worldwide.
    Feb 23, 2015. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    rrosey2, that's a visionary view of Apple's future. Let's see if they get that adventurous.
    Feb 23, 2015. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Safe To Buy Treasuries Yet? [View article]
    gstanleyjr, I'm not an economist. But I have a POV on interest rates that I like to share with the SA community. Please digest. I look forward to any further comment you would care to publish.
    Feb 22, 2015. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    gstanleyjr, thanks for reading and commenting.

I'm a full-time researcher/investor/wr... I enjoy trying to make sense of the mysteries of finance and economics - it's probably due to the old math nerd in me.

Glad you enjoy the articles.
    Feb 22, 2015. 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    bailin, my major point is that assuming the rumors are true, Apple is looking beyond smallish computers with screens you look at, w or w/o telephony function, to other products that will be "smart."

Every large company evaluates many more potential products than every come to market. That's the way I look at an Apple Car.

But I like the mindset that creates the Apple Car project. That allows me to envision a bright future for Apple beyond its current (large) markets - which I expect to become saturated and then deflationary over time.

Hope that makes sense to you.
    Feb 22, 2015. 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    Glenway, thanks for your kind words. Glad you liked both the article and the engaged comments.

Steve Jobs and Apple, and the post-SJ Apple now, are and have been inspirations to me, and to many others. Indeed - well said.
    Feb 22, 2015. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    mobilecc, thanks for reading and commenting. I concur with most of your thoughts. Not sure at all that I agree with the idea that any of Apple's products are outrageously overpriced. Competition is too fierce IMHO for them to have that much pricing power.
    Feb 22, 2015. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    Thanks, imac007, for sharing your insights so extensively. Interesting indeed.
    Feb 22, 2015. 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, Blue.

There's lots to think about in the interview and in the article associated with the video.
    Feb 22, 2015. 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    jarena, nice to hear from you again.

I agree. Apple has its swagger back. That, plus all its talents, plus the most net cash, plus the greatest free cash flow, plus setting the agenda for so much of the growing industries of the world - that indeed tilts the odds heavily its favor.
    Feb 22, 2015. 11:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Importance Of The Apple Car Project [View article]
    Sartre, thanks for clarifying. What you say makes sense to me.

Glad you found the article thought-provoking.
    Feb 22, 2015. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Safe To Buy Treasuries Yet? [View article]
    Preston, you ask some absolutely key questions. Thanks for doing so.

Re your first question, there are a number of "natural" holders of Treasuries for the long term. These include insurance companies that sell "spread" products against Treasuries. They also include foreign governments and other foreign entities that are interested in dollar claims. Other relatively natural buyers include extremely wealthy individuals or trusts that don't really care for a portion of their assets whether those monies make money in real terms or not. The interest is disaster prevention, perhaps. On the other end of the spectrum are people who don't have many assets and want to take no chances with their savings. They just want to have something at the end of the day (I don't think there are many such savers in that category, anymore.)

Re your second question, the phrase "when the music stops" is an interesting one in context. It appears to presuppose that high price inflation is destined to return "sooner rather than later." If that's your thinking, maybe it's correct. Likely people who think that way aren't buying fixed income products of any significant duration except maybe to flip.

In your first paragraph, you talk about "negative real rates." However, both the Billion Prices Project/PriceStats and the CPI have been showing deflation since early August. So as of winter 2015, real rates on long term bonds appear positive to me, not negative.
    Feb 22, 2015. 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment