DoctoRx

View DoctoRx's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Taper Of QE, And Other Reasons To Be Bullish On Bonds [View article]
    cmsdms, you're very welcome.
    Aug 26 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Taper Of QE, And Other Reasons To Be Bullish On Bonds [View article]
    Thanks, sliman. Agree, the gap looks unwarranted and appears to provide a margin of safety for Treasury buyers here.
    Aug 26 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Taper Of QE, And Other Reasons To Be Bullish On Bonds [View article]
    pantherdoc, thanks for your comments. Before writing for SA, I blogged for The Daily Capitalist, an Austrian economics blog. Jeff Harding, who ran the blog, also took a (shorter) course at the Mises Institute. I have learned a great deal from him, and from reading such thinkers as Mark Spitznagel's essay and his book of last year, David Stockman and his The Great Deformation, and others.
    They say that doctors bury their (worst) mistakes, LOL. Would it have been so hard for TPTB to have liquidated more malinvestments by now?
    Aug 26 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead: Rising Short Interest Provides Yet Another Reason To Own The Stock [View article]
    chicagotim1: thanks for reading and sharing your strategy with us. GLTU!
    Aug 24 06:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    Great analysis, b3player. I'm not persuaded that comparing the mfr of Xyrem, which is an oral small molecule as are its products in general (not a biotech), with CELG is easy to do. Re the focus of this article, AMGN, I concur with your analysis. AMGN gives a dividend and the stability of the four blood cell boosters, which might be like Celine Dion's heart and go on and on. Thus my 89 yo father owns AMGN (and GILD), but not UTHR, JAZZ, CELG, REGN, etc. As is typical in the stock biz, a tradeoff for those attributes is less prospective upside. As I see it, evolocumab is a wild card that just might transform AMGN from a relatively slow grower to something much more dynamic. If so, the stock then just might see a P/E increase along with EPS growth faster than the Street currently expects.
    Aug 23 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    jstratt: Thanks again. On July 21, I did write this about biotechs in general: Biotechs Have Their 'Irrational Exuberance' Moment: Time To Buy More?
    I may do another. If you scroll through my other articles, you will find writeups on a couple of smaller biotechs such as UTHR and PTLA or small pharma companies such as SUPN. These are riskier but IMHO have takeover possibilities. I could definitely see GILD buying UTHR.
    Aug 23 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    haha: I agree with your strategic thinking. I am extremely overweighted in biotech.
    Aug 22 11:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    Not the hare: You're very welcome. Glad this was accessible and sensible to you, as an already-long AMGN investor.
    Aug 22 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    mswyman: Thanks for reading and for the very nice comment. Congrats on your astute AMGN purchase. I too am looking to hold this for the long term.
    Aug 22 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    Sinchad, you're welcome.
    Aug 22 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    User '751: You're welcome!

Re your question, AMGN looks the best-positioned short-term just on technicals (least extended). My opinion - just mine- is that evolocumab has mega-potential - thus AMGN could break out as a surprise. GILD's price is finally catching up with its obvious earnings potential, but I think its hep B products in phase 2 could be worth another $100/share (or so) - but highly uncertain. In contrast, I have some reservations about CELG on valuation grounds; also, Otezla could be a disappointment.

But since you're asking about a potentially multi-decade investment for your grandson, I'd say that you're talking about three great strong companies with multiple ways to deliver value for years to come, including large contributions from products to be named later. If commissions are not an issue, why not buy some of all three?
    Aug 22 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    Jimgrad: Thanks for reading and for the kind comments. "Yes-" but (FWIW) I don't own it with that possibility in mind.
    Aug 22 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    b3player: thanks for bringing your history into this, and congrats on your astute purchases of three amazing stocks. GLTU; please consider letting me/us know if you pull the trigger on AMGN.
    Aug 22 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Analysis Of Amgen [View article]
    jstratt: Thanks for reading and for sharing your tale. Great lesson indeed, thought-provoking and appreciated.
    Aug 22 12:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    b3player: $125, $135 (This was when GILD was in the $80s and low $90s)
    Aug 22 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment