DoctoRx

View DoctoRx's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gilead's Pipeline, Part 3, With Summary Comments [View article]
    Thanks very much for adding that info, SpoiledRotten. Late summer scripts reflect lots of vacations amongst doctors and patients. FWIW, VP Rx'es dropped more than Harvoni Rx'es W/W on a % basis.

A good sales/EPS quarter will be nice, but w/o pipeline progress, the P/E can just keep shrinking.
    Aug 28, 2015. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead's Pipeline, Part 3, With Summary Comments [View article]
    j.bittner, thanks for reading and your question. I've addressed this topic both directly and indirectly in my many GILD articles. It's a mixture. GILD's core HIV drug tenofovir was a known compound; GILD figured out how to give it orally rather than IV. In-house, it has improved it to be TAF. Its most imp't drug, Sovaldi, was purchased at great expense. Apparently only GILD realized its importance and was willing to pay so much. Most of the company's marketed drugs have been acquired.

The company's website and other resources can help you dig into more details should you find that important.
    Aug 28, 2015. 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead's Pipeline, Part 3, With Summary Comments [View article]
    SpoiledRotten, thanks for that link. Lots to think about here...
    Aug 28, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead's Pipeline, Part 3, With Summary Comments [View article]
    SPA, maybe, but that's a long way off to worry.

I prefer the "What, me worry?" approach when dealing with that time frame. :-)
    Aug 28, 2015. 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead's Pipeline, Part 3, With Summary Comments [View article]
    cn_habs, I am working on the rest of the article. In order to cover more biotech companies after the sell-off and before the busier part of the investing scene begins to ramp up, I am working on a second part to this series, mostly focusing on mid-cap biotechs. The part 3 is planned to follow and cover several small-caps.

I hope you have time to read them and comment again.
    Aug 28, 2015. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Everest Re board member buys the dip [View news story]
    I actually also bought this dip on Tuesday.
    Aug 27, 2015. 01:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comments On The Market Correction; Focus On Biotechs: Large Caps [View article]
    Doug, I think I understand both your specific point and the general one.

FWIW, my take is that these epochal extinction events are A) rare and B) do not happen overnight. A takeaway point for me embodied in your comment is the need for companies to stay on top of all aspects of their business, including disruptive events. To switch industries, Yahoo! should have taken MSFT's offer a decade ago, and recently, when BABA was riding high, they should have sold themselves ASAP. Their industry has been evolving away from them. The same thing could happen to a pharmaceutical company.

GLTU; thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    MineMan, thanks for the kind words, glad you found the article interesting. Good point re filling pipeline voids. That is exactly how the pharma industry has been evolving. I could write a whole series on how this came to be, but it would be a bit off-topic for SA.

RGEN (Repligen) is an interesting company, not one I have written about yet.
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    LostOkie, thanks for reading and commenting. At this point, AMBS has a market cap below $20 million. This makes it of very limited interest to the SA community. I don't know enough about this company to comment on it - GLTU.
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed, well said.
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, magnum, for responding to my question, as well as for reading and providing your cogent views on an important point - the relationship of low interest rates and easy money on biotech and general stock market valuations.
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Office Rat, yes, the combination of a high valuation and my lack of love for CELG's recent deals led me to sell the rest of my CELG around $135. I haven't bought back. In this article, I didn't want to get deep into analysis of CELG. Rather, right now I am trying to bring the focus to pipelines, where analysis may provide great stock picks when the biotech bull revives. That's why I focused on REGN, with most of the company's value potentially unrealized via the pipeline and Praluent, and on AMGN's Repatha (a similar story) and BIIB's pipeline value that could make it an attractive takeover target.

I also will discuss XLRN in the next article, a leading CELG pipeline company.
    Aug 26, 2015. 09:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    omar, I'm working on it. Stay tuned.
    Aug 26, 2015. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the kind words, pantherdoc. Congrats on some timely sells.

I will look at CLDX - sounds attractive.
    Aug 26, 2015. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alessandro, I have just held my large ISIS position thru this turmoil. I "get" all these "negatives." If their drugs basically work, and their next-gen technologies also do what they say, my thought is that in several years, or perhaps 10-15 years, we may look back and laugh about that insignificant dip in 2015.

I do laugh, tho. The Street thinks they are giving away too much. But their deals are basically for Gen 2.0 technology, which is what you and I can think of as first-generation technology from a commercial standpoint.

So they are getting this financed by big companies, sharing in the upside, and generating enough cash from all this to advance new technologies that they own outright. That's the message they're sending with the formation of Akcea as I see it.

Many stocks did this sort of scary plunge for no fundamental reason in 1998, 2011, 1987, etc. and went on to be great performers over time.

Here's hoping!