DoctoRx

View DoctoRx's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gilead Beats And (Sort Of) Raises, Stock Drops: What Gives? [View article]
    baerrus, every share of every company's stock is always owned by someone at every time point. So it takes no new cash to have the price increase. What simply has to happen is that the marginal buyer and seller must agree on a new price, which as a GILD shareholder I hope trends up over time. The cash never changes, as the buyer's account is debited by the amount the seller's account is credited (ignoring small transaction costs).

Re the P/E, it's b/c GILD has become in essence a 1 1/2 product line company (hep C plus the smaller HIV franchise), and thus is highly non-diversified. Worries exist about competition from ABBV and MRK, and the questions of reimbursement levels and the number of patients who actually have hep C and will get treated cannot be answered at this point. So I think the low P/E is reasonable. In add'n, the pipeline beyond HIV/Viread and hep C is not in late stage, so it isn't worth a lot on the Street given GILD's now-massive market cap.
    Oct 30 08:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Beats And (Sort Of) Raises, Stock Drops: What Gives? [View article]
    northvalley, you're very welcome.

No, the appearance of this Fee in the Q3 reports of GILD and other pharma co's was a surprise to me, and my impression from Zacks and Big Finance analysts is that they were not modeling it in their projected EPS. It is, I believe, a one-time cost and therefore a hit to book value but not relevant to the future profit prospects for GILD.
    Oct 30 08:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amgen And Regeneron Reach All-Time Highs Together: Updates On Both Biotech Stalwarts [View article]
    John edwin, you're very welcome, as always. We'll know a lot more in 3 hours!
    Oct 28 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences: Will Warehousing Dampen Q3 Revenues? [View article]
    I'm pretty sure the IMS and Symphony script counts do not include VA, prisons or foreign scripts.

Tx for the write-up.
    Oct 27 02:37 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Review Of Gilead's Harvoni, And Competitive Considerations [View article]
    john edwin, no, I regret to say that I don't follow Cubist currently.
    Oct 24 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Clears A Critical Hurdle [View article]
    Several typos/editing errors.
    Oct 23 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jimghad, You're welcome. Sanofi and Regeneron have a standstill agreement at 30%. Of course, SNY could try to dig very deep into its pockets and see if could make REGN a friendly offer that would be enough to cause REGN's board to agree. So I basically am investing in REGN because of its value per se, not as a takeover target.

Your question about AMGN is interesting. Is it a takeover target? Well, the higher the share price goes, the more difficult a takeover becomes. Apple's not going to buy it! Neither is ExxonMobil! Novartis could afford it, but I don't see it. Pfizer's not quite large enough. Roche doesn't need Amgen as it owns Genentech. So I don't see a natural buyer of Amgen. If it split into two, there might be a buyer for GrowthCo, though, and this would answer the Yee (analyst) objection about the two spun-off co's each having to replicate the functions such as sales that they now share.

But again, I look at AMGN as a growth-value-restructing play, not as a takeover play.
    Oct 23 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks very much for reading, commenting and appreciating, Alex. GLTU and congrats on your several successes on SA and as an investor.
    Oct 23 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, typo, will fix. Normally I don't have writer's dyslexia.
    Oct 23 09:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Biogen drops after earnings call [View news story]
    Haven't heard the call yet... I agree it's curious mgmt bothered to mention it - maybe they just wanted to get in front of it?

MS is a bad disease that kills people.
    Oct 22 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Impressive Growth In Key Metrics Shows Verizon Is One Of The Best Picks In The Sector [View article]
    IAE, I'm long VZ (unlike you), but why do you say the bottom line was down yoy? From the VZ PR:

Consolidated

89 cents in earnings per share (EPS), compared with 78 cents per share (or 77 cents on a non-GAAP adjusted basis) in 3Q 2013.

(The earnings presentation differentiates between net income and net income attributable to Verizon.)
    Oct 22 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Still Time To Sell Verizon [View article]
    I thank the author for a contrary POV, clearly expressed.

My view is that in a high market and with interest rates so low, telecom is attractively valued. So I think that most of the comments here are correct, and that BigAppleGuy's point that all capacity will get used is key.

Price wars started by money-losing companies such as S never have harmed the big guys that I can remember in my decades of following business closely.

FWIW, I'm guessing that while VZ is vulnerable to a market decline, a reasonable PT is 13.5X $3.80 EPS for 2015, which is mildly below consensus for EPS. I just don't see S having the financial capacity to really harm T and VZ.
    Oct 22 11:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Biogen drops after earnings call [View news story]
    If that news of one death could contribute to a major market cap loss, then the stock market has become unmoored.
    Oct 22 10:47 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Determining Biogen's Fair Value [View article]
    Good article, focused and appropriate - thanks.

Only other comment - since you're not a financial adviser, you may rethink recommending an investment. It's enough to report your findings and leave it at that.
    Oct 21 11:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences: Clear The Dockets And Settle With Merck Already [View article]
    Small Pharma Analyst, thanks for your well-reasoned response.

We've had our say; now let's see what Foster City actually wants to do...
    Oct 21 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment