View as an RSS Feed
View Don Dion's Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAOI, AAPL, AAVL, ABBV, ABX, ABY, ADPT, AERI, AET, AGN, AGRX, AGTC, AKAO, AKBA, ALCO, ALDR, ALDX, ALJJ, ALLY, AMBR, AMBX, AMC, AMDA, AMPH, AMZN, ANET, APP, AQXP, AR, ARCB, ARES, ARGS, ARGT, ARMK, ARPI, ASPN, ASPS, ASPX, ATEN, ATHM, ATRA, AVH, AZN, AZSEY, BA, BABA, BAC, BBRY, BCRH, BCS, BF.B, BHLB, BLK, BLUE, BNFT, BNK, BNPQY, BOND, BRG, BRK.A, BRK.B, BRX, BTU, BURL, BX, BYDDY, C, CBPX, CBRL, CBSO, CCS, CDW, CDX, CELP, CG, CHGG, CIO, CIT, CLDN, CMCM, CMRX, CNCE, COMM, CORI, COUP, COVS, CPWR, CQB, CQH, CRCM, CRTO, CS, CSLT, CTLT, CTT, CUDA, DADDY, DB, DBA, DBC, DBO, DIS, DLNG, DPRX, DRII, DRNA, DRW, DSG, DSKY, EARS, EBAY, EBIO, ECR, EEM, EGRX, EIGI, ELY, ENTA, EPE, EPP, EROS, ESI, ESNT, ESRT, EUM, EVDY, EVGN, EVHC, EWA, EWM, F, FB, FCB, FDO, FELP, FEYE, FFWM, FIVN, FLXN, FMI, FPI, FRM, FRSH, FUEL, FWM, GDOT, GE, GFIS, GILD, GLD, GLOB, GLOP, GLYC, GM, GNCA, GOGO, GOMO, GOOG, GOOGL, GPRK, GPRO, GPS, GRN, GRUB, GS, GSG, HELI, HGG, HIVE, HLF, HLT, HMHC, HMLP, HPQ, HQY, HRTG, HSY, IAU, IBP, ICC, ICD, IEP, IMDZ, IMPR, IMS, INGN, INNL, INP, INTC, ISTR, IVZ, JBLU, JD, JGW, JMEI, JNJ, JPM, KANG, KIN, KING, KITE, KKR, KMI, KNMD, KPTI, KTWO, LADR, LDRH, LEJU, LGIH, LMNS, LNTH, LNVGF, LOCO, LPG, LQ, LULU, MAT, MBII, MBLY, MBUU, MC, MDWD, MGNX, MIK, MMI, MOBL, MODN, MONT, MRD, MRIN, MRK, MRKT, MS, MSFT, MTLS, MVNR, MYCC, NADL, NAO, NCFT, NEP, NERV, NFLX, NMBL, NORD, NSANF, NSANY, NVGS, NWHM, OCIP, OCIR, OCUL, OEC, OPWR, OUTR, OXFD, PAGP, PARN, PAYC, PBFX, PBPB, PCTY, PE, PEGI, PEP, PFE, PG, PIH, PINC, PNC, PSJ, QIWI, QTNT, QTS, QTWO, QUNR, QURE, RARE, RBA, REPH, RICE, RIGP, RLYP, RMAX, RNG, RP, RSPP, RSX, RUBI, RVNC, RYI, SABR, SBUX, SC, SCAI, SCPB, SCYX, SEMI, SERV, SFXE, SLV, SMLR, SNDE, SNE, SNOW, SPKE, SPWH, SQBK, SRLP, SRVA, SSNI, SSNLF, STAY, STBFY, STI, STST, SYF, T, TCPI, TCS, TEDU, TERP, TGT, THD, THNX, TLMR, TLOG, TMHC, TNDM, TNET, TOUR, TPRE, TRIV, TRUE, TRUP, TSE, TSLA, TSQ, TTOO, TWOU, TWTR, UBS, VBLX, VCSH, VCYT, VEEV, VJET, VLP, VMEM, VNCE, VNM, VNOM, VOD, VRNS, VSAR, VTL, VTTI, WB, WBAI, WFC, WFM, WIX, WLKP, WMS, WMT, WNRL, WSTC, WUBA, XENT, XNCR, XNET, XOM, YHOO, ZEN, ZPIN, ZSPH, ZU
NextEra Energy IPO Quiet Period Expiration Could Open A Clean Buying Opportunity For Investors
- July 21 marks the end of the 25-day quiet period on underwriter reports that began with the June 26 IPO of NEP.
- On July 22nd, NEP’s strong underwriters, including BofA, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Barclays, and Credit Suisse, will likely attempt to push NEP’s share price higher with positive research reports.
- NEP has made solid gains post-IPO, has a good yield, growing business, and smart, experienced management.
- We see NEP’s quiet period expiration as another opportunity to get a piece of its success.
Imprivata's IPO Quiet Period Expiration: A Buying Opportunity For Aggressive Investors
- The 25 day quiet period on IMPR will conclude on July 19, allowing IPO underwriters to release reports on July 20th.
- The detailed reports will likely be positive; and with such influential firms as J.P Morgan and Wells Fargo scheduled to initiate coverage, these could give IMPR stock a positive boost.
- Given IMPR’s solid market performance, and the recent supportive environment for tech IPOs, we see the quiet period expiration as a good time to buy into this growing company.
Investors Should Go Big For GoPro's IPO Quiet Period Expiration
- The 25 day quiet period on GPRO will come to an end on July 20, allowing GPRO’s underwriters to release (likely positive) research reports on the firm on July 21st.
- This event could likely lead to a bump in the price of GPRO shares.
- While concern exists if GPRO can maintain its current share prices long term, we don't believe the hype on this company will decline in the near-term.
- Given GPRO’s strong, influential underwriters, and excellent product, we suggest the quiet period expiration as another great time to buy into this company.
Goldman Sachs Powers Up And Keeps Trading In A Tough Environment
- GS has decided to maintain its central trading business, while competitors have taken steps back.
- The rise of a competitor to GS's dark trading pool Sigma X, IEX Group, could benefit GS long-term, by bringing greater transparency and investor confidence to the entire sector.
- GS has a strong wealth management business and other platforms, which could help float the firm during this time; the stock and results have maintained general strength.
- We are positive on GS moving forward in 2014.
GM Sales Power Up With Help Of Recalls
- Despite recall issues, GM posted higher sales number for the month of June.
- This could be due to higher numbers of customers returning to GM stores for recall purposes, recovering auto sales post-recession, or other factors.
- GM has been making plans for expansion in China, in tandem with possible recovery in the domestic market.
- While YTD GM stock is at a relative low point, recovery is possible; investors might consider taking positions in the second half of 2014 if results continue up.
Quiet Period Expiration For ServiceMaster Global IPO Serves Up A Great Buying Opportunity
- August 5th marks the conclusion of the 25-day SEC-enforced quiet period on SERV.
- On August 6th, SERV's many powerful underwriters will likely attempt to boost the price of SERV shares with the release of positive, detailed research reports.
- SERV has performed generally well on the market post-IPO, and receives continued support from private equity firm CD&R.
- We see the quiet period expiration for SERV as another chance to buy into this multidimensional company.
Following BNP's Huge Fine, U.S. Regulators Turn To Deutsche Bank And Commerzbank
- US regulators are accusing Commerzbank of Money Laundering violations of over US$500 Million, and Deutsche Bank of currency manipulation of substantially higher amounts.
- Deutsche Bank has warned that continued investigations into the matter could have a material financial impact.
- With spotty results and stock in decline YTD, we suggest investors steer clear of Deutsche Bank at present.
Adeptus Health IPO Quiet Period Offers An Adaptable Buying Opportunity
- The SEC-enforced 25 day quiet period on ADPT will come to an end on July 19th, allowing the firm's IPO underwriters to publish analyses on July 20th.
- Evidence supports a rise in share price at the quiet period expiration, particularly for a firm with strong underwriters like ADPT.
- We note a short-term buying opportunity at this event time.
Bank Of America And JPMorgan Fire Thousands Of Employees But Raise CEOs' Salaries
- Mega banks, including Bank of America and JPMorgan, have tried to cut costs by closing down bank branches and laying off thousands and thousands of hard-working employees.
- This loss of people-power often makes banks less efficient and over-tasks remaining employees.
- Both BAC and JPM have shown declining performance YTD, while their CEOs' compensation and benefits, including private jets have been very rich, showing a disconnect among priorities for shareholders.
- We reiterate our stance that investors should consider taking profits in BAC and JPM and consider Wells Fargo and Heritage Insurance in the second half of 2014.
Xunlei Limited's IPO Quiet Period Expiration Opens Buying Opportunity
- July 18 marks the end of the SEC-enforced 25 day quiet period on underwriter research for XNET; July 19th is the first day underwriters can release reports.
- These detailed research reports will likely be positive and cause a short-term price increase in XNET in the days preceding and following the quiet period expiration date.
- Although XNET has not performed with consistent strength, its IPO was positive, suggesting investor confidence and excitement in Chinese tech firms.
- XNET’s reputable underwriters, including J.P. Morgan and Citigroup, will likely help boost the price of XNET shares at this time.
Citigroup Prepares To Write Obama A $7 Billion Check; Investors Should Steer Clear
- It’s estimated that Citibank will pay a $7 billion dollar fine for its shoddy mortgage practices before the financial crisis.
- While Citi likely has enough to cover this fine, it will be hampered in competing with innovative peer institutions and rewarding shareholders with increased dividends.
- We anticipate that Bank of America will be next to write a HUGE check to Attorney General Holder.
- We reiterate our stance that investors should steer clear of Citibank and Bank of America in the coming quarters at least.
Unfashionable Outlook For American Apparel Investors; Alleged Revealing Photos Not Helping Current CEO
- APP is trying to raise capital from hedge fund financier Standard General to cope with a $10 million debt, called in by Lion Capital.
- The financing would allow APP to offset a loan made by the founder of the company, Dov Charney, which is now on the outs.
- Mr. Charney has recently been charged with misusing company funds, as well as sexual harassment of a former employee; it is likely that the company leadership will be restructured.
- With leadership and financing in flux, as well as poor performance in its sector, we suggest investors take profits in APP.
Cancer Causes Leadership Vacuum At JPMorgan
- JPM CEO Jamie Dimon disclosed last week that he will receive treatment for cancer; the news raised concerns about how the institution will be managed going forward.
- This is an important time in JPM’s history to be well-managed as the environment for big banks has been tough and JPM’s results have been inconsistent.
- While some indicators are positive, we are still very concerned about declining trading revenue, other 2014 losses, and continued scandals which results in billions and billions in fines.
- We reiterate our position to sell JPM stock before news gets worse in 2014.
Trinseo IPO Quiet Period Expiration Could Manufacture A Profit For Investors
- The 40-day SEC-enforced quiet period on underwriter analysis publications that began with the June 11 IPO of TSE will conclude on July 22.
- TSE's strong and numerous underwriters will attempt to boost TSE's already strong market performance even higher with a release of positive information into the market at this time.
- In anticipation of these reports, share prices often rise a few days prior to the event and return to normal levels two days afterward.
- Given TSE's powerful positions in several of its markets, we see the quiet period expiration as another chance to buy into this growing firm.
Tesla's Strategic Management Paves Clear Road For TSLA Stock
- On June 1st 2014, Tesla CEO Elon Musk stated the company would not initiate patent lawsuits against those who use their technology in good faith.
- This highly strategic move could paradoxically help Tesla by removing gasoline vehicles from the market more rapidly, with more manufacturers utilizing Tesla batteries and specialty parts.
- Musk’s forward-thinking ideas, accompanied by a staggering 52% rise in TSLA stock for the year, keeps us very positive on the company going forward in 2014.
Disney Stock Hot After Frozen's Success
- Disney’s 'Frozen' movie has the potential to push the company, and its stock, to a new level of prominence.
- Disney’s strong marketing emphasis on 'Frozen’s' unique, boundary-pushing qualities paid off with $1 billion in box office revenues and significantly more from merchandising.
- Even without Frozen, Disney’s diversified business segments will very likely provide revenue streams from several angles in the years to come.
- With the additional boost from 'Frozen', we continue to be positive on Disney in the second half of 2014.
A Less Urbane Outlook For Citigroup Investors In Q3 2014
- Discussions recently stalled between Citigroup and the Justice Department regarding a settlement for the bank's marketing of subprime mortgage investments.
- Unfortunately, Citigroup may have little-to-no leverage in negotiating with Justice to settle for a lesser amount than $10 billion.
- Shareholders, who must carry the costs of any punitive settlement and attorneys' fees, could be alienated in this process.
- We suggest investors consider taking profits in Citigroup now, as the outlook looks bleak in the second half of 2014.
Lockup Expiration For EP Energy Corp. Could Unleash Resources For A Short Opportunity
- Wednesday, July 16 marks the conclusion of the 180 day lockup period of EPE.
- At that time, major pre-IPO shareholders, including private equity and energy firms, as well as EPE’s executives and directors, may dump some of their outstanding shares.
- With strong pre-IPO shareholders, with the power to dump 208.7 million shares into the market, a temporary short opportunity is possible for aggressive investors.
JD.com, Alibaba Boost Yahoo Stock Even Further In 2014
- Yahoo is soon looking to reap rewards from its investment in Alibaba, which some analysts value at $26 billion.
- Yahoo's large stake in Alibaba, along with a favorable market for Chinese IPOs lately, has helped lift Yahoo's share price over the past two years.
- However, with Yahoo still struggling to define its core business and compete with powerhouse rival Google, how Yahoo spends its Alibaba earnings could make or break the company.
- We are positive on Yahoo stock as it continues its surge, leading up to Alibaba's IPO, and suggest investors hop on for the ride.
As Century Communities Recovers, Quiet Period Expiration Opens Buying Opportunity
- The 25-day quiet period on underwriter research related to CCS will conclude on July 12, allowing the IPO underwriters to publish positive reports on CCS on July 13.
- CCS appears to be recovering from its weak market debut, and has posted a profit in every quarter since its founding.
- The upcoming quiet period expiration represents a fresh opportunity for investors to get a piece of this consistently growing firm; share prices often increase in anticipation two days before expiration.
Blackstone To Start An Aggressive Hedge Fund With Billions
- Blackstone is reported to be starting a hedge fund, with teams managing $500 million in assets.
- Although this is a shift in strategy from private equity, Blackstone is well equipped for the change, being the largest investment manager of hedge fund, fund-of-funds.
- The move into pure hedge fund management will more fully diversify Blackstone's revenue stream at a time when other large financial firms are seeing declines.
- We continue to be very positive on Blackstone moving forward in 2014.
Chocolate Gets Too Hot For Hershey In 2014
- This June, the price of cocoa reached its highest level since 2011.
- Hershey in particular has seen a tough 2014 in correlation with rising cocoa prices.
- As many macro factors indicate continued price increases for the foreseeable future, we suggest investors take profits in HSY now.
Powerful Underwriters Could Boost Eclipse Resources Corp. At Quiet Period Expiration
- July 14 marks the expiration of the SEC-enforced 25-day quiet period for ECR. On July 15, ECR's underwriters will likely release positive reports on ECR into the market.
- Academic studies show an increase in share price beginning two days before the quiet period expiration and lasting two days afterward, for companies with research reports released.
- Although ECR has not performed well post-IPO, its powerful list of underwriters could give ECR a boost on July 15; energy stocks have also been successful in recent months.
- We suggest ECR's quiet period expiration as a potential buying time for aggressive investors.
Investors With Foresight Will Buy Foresight Energy's IPO Quiet Period Expiration
- The 25-day quiet period on underwriter analyses for FELP will come to an end on July 12, allowing the firm's underwriters to release detailed positive research on July 13.
- Although FELP has performed inconsistently post-IPO, investors should consider buying into the firm; the anticipation of positive research reports often leads to a price increase two days before publication.
- Though the long-term outlook for coal is concerning in an era of tightening environmental regulation, coal remains a critical source of power in the United States; and FELP is poised.
Bank Of America Has Been Dead Money For 20 Years: Did They Fire The Right People?
- BAC cut the bank’s operating expenses in their mortgage sector by laying off 540 Charlotte employees.
- Despite CEO Brian Moynihan's 2014 compensation package of $14 million, BAC stock price has not seen significant improvements since he was named CEO.
- $14 million is equal to roughly half of the combined salaries of the Charlotte employees laid off in the call center and throughout city branches.
- We reiterate our negative stance on BAC in 2014 and strongly suggest investors change positions to WFC or HRTG, both industry leaders in the mortgage and insurance markets, respectively.
Quiet Period Expiration For Viper Energy Partners IPO Could Have A Bite To It
- The 25-day quiet period on underwriter research for VNOM will expire on July 12, allowing the firm's IPO underwriters to publish research reports on July 13.
- In anticipation of positive analyst reports, share prices often rise two days before the quiet period expiration.
- VNOM's IPO priced well above its expected range, saw an impressive 24.4% first day return, and has since bounced between $32 and $34 per share.
- While domestic oil companies remain more stable bets than their foreign counterparts; we recommend VNOM as a Buy.
Wells Fargo Powers Ahead Of Bank Of America, JPMorgan, And Citigroup
- Shares of WFC reached $51.90 last Friday, exceeding 14% for a one year period, while peers JPM, BAC, and C closed at lower levels.
- WFC’s current success is partially attributed to the bank’s tight regulations regarding risk taking and cautious delays when it comes to trading operations.
- We strongly suggest investors consider WFC over and above its competitors in 2014.
Heritage Insurance Holdings: Our Pick For The Second Half Of 2014
- Despite a slightly disappointing IPO, HRTG has shown impressive gains since, as investors have caught on to its strong fundamentals and industry niche.
- We expect HRTG's book value to almost double by the end of 2016, and net income to triple.
- Given continued positive market conditions, we rate HRTG a strong buy going forward in 2014 and beyond.
Investar Holding Corp. IPO
- ISTR, a commercial bank operating in Louisiana, raised $40.6 million in its IPO today.
- ISTR must compete with other commercial banks, including JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America.
- ISTR has seen growing profits over the past several years, and has established a foothold in its target markets; we suggest investors consider buying into this IPO.
Market Could Heat Up Around Markit IPO Quiet Period Expiration
- The 25 day quiet period on underwriter research related to MRKT will conclude on July 13, allowing the firm's IPO underwriters to release research reports on July 14.
- The firm has maintained impressive income figures throughout this growth, bespeaking solid management.
- MRKT’s solid list of underwriters should boost the stock’s price leading up to the quiet period expiration, opening a buying opportunity for investors.
Investors Should Dig Deep For North American Offshore's IPO Quiet Period Expiration
- The 25 day quiet period on underwriter research on NAO, initiated by the firm's June 11 IPO, will come to an end on July 7.
- NAO had a less than impressive IPO but has seen steady gains since; underwriters will likely try to boost the stock further with their detailed positive reports on July 8.
- We see this event as a solid short-term buying opportunity for aggressive investors .
Amazon's Fire Phone Douses Shareholders' Expectations
- So far, there is no indication that Amazon's Fire Phone can compete against Apple's iPhone.
- Amazon has a pattern of trying to diversify from just e-commerce; however, growth is stalling in the meantime.
- With competitor Alibaba's NYSE IPO looming large, Amazon investors should hope that the company focuses more on its core business to reverse losses in 2014.