Donald Johnson

View Donald Johnson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Fitbit: A One-Trick Pony? [View article]
    I tried out Fibit for about three months and gave it up. It added a band to my wrist that I don't need because the Apple Health App on my iPhone gives me the same readings as the Fibit. I'm not in training for anything but life, and I don't need Fibit or the Apple Watch for that.

Further, the company's nutrition monitoring feature is clunky, loaded with product promotions for restaurants' versions of various dishes instead of healthy fresh food data. Hope the geeks take their profits and run before Fitbit sinks.
    Aug 2, 2015. 02:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Higher Maintenance Costs Could Hurt Pipeline Dividend Growth [View article]
    It is wrong and intellectually dishonest to ban writers and articles that offend the executives of publicly-owned companies and the analysts and shareholders who own them.

That is like having the dictator of China ban selling and shorting stocks. It is also like having a politician silence, censor, demonize and attempt to destroy opposing candidates and those who criticize them.

People who try to silence those they disagree with need to rethink how they would feel if someone tried to silence them because they touted stocks they owned.
    Aug 2, 2015. 01:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla's Model S Announcement: No Comfort On X Ramp Or 2015 Sales [View article]
    Tesla seems to be a hope and change stock for believers, not rational speculators or investors. Playing Tesla is like playing some small, highly speculative drug stock.

Speculate on Tesla with your play money if you have play money to lose.
    Jul 18, 2015. 03:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Promise Of A Deal = An Actual Surrender [View article]
    Greece wins. It still will be in EU and Euro.

That means Greece, which is pro Russia, anti-Germany, will be the EU's Fifth Column, voting against sanctions against Russia, Iran, etc. It will be Russia's spy in the EU summits and meetings, etc.

And because of the precedents set in this deal, hard left Marxists in Italy, Spain and Portugal will be encouraged and strengthened.

Basically, the EU is taking a haircut and is being treated as the villain. French, Greece, Italian socialism wins. The EU is Greece.
    Jul 13, 2015. 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Scanning The SA Family For Alpha: BuyandHold 2012 [View article]
    Most traders buy rather than short stocks.

What does that tell you?

Most politicians and flacks always are "optimistic".

What does that tell you?

Most stock groupies are optimistic about their stocks?

What does that tell you?

Most buy and hold traders are optimistic about their strategy?

What does that tell you?

Most optimists don't know when to take losses or profits.

What does that tell you?
    Jul 12, 2015. 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    My lesson, again, from the Valuentum articles and the comments by 128 and others is that you have to decide how you will trade KMI and manage your position. If the stock continues to slide, get out. You always can get back in later. If the stock rises and you and I have sold, consider getting back in.

Personally, Valuentum and some commenters have explained the risks in KMI that caused me to sell. I'm just not comfortable with the company's financial ratios or its dividend prospects. So, at this point, I'm looking elsewhere for strong stocks that have good potential to continue raising their dividends.
    Jul 4, 2015. 01:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    Brain Nelson says he doesn't take money from SA. That doesn't mean he doesn't pay himself.
    Jul 4, 2015. 01:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    Good post, Brad.
    Jul 4, 2015. 01:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    Again, I assume you missed Nelson's comment in his article that he is not compensated by SA.

He publishes for visibility and to attract subscribers, which is how I discovered Valuentum and subscribed. Perfectly legit. His biggest mistake was to use the word "collapse". A little hyperbole can go a long way, like dozens of comments.
    Jul 2, 2015. 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    I guess you missed Nelson's assurance in the article that he is not paid by Valuentum.
    Jul 2, 2015. 03:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan's Fair Value: $29 Per Share [View article]
    12839421,

Again, thanks for your research and analysis. You've punctured Valuentum's picture of itself in several ways by showing that there are many ways to look at a portfolio manager's or newsletter's track record.

As a subscriber to Valuentum, I read its reports and recommendations. After double checking with Morningstar, SA, Stockcharts.com and the options markets, I decide when to buy in, or not.

I'm not sure how to put this into your equation. But every month Valuentum updates its VBI ratings (1-10) and Dividend Cushion™ ratings in its Best Ideas and Dividend Growth Portfolios. Most of its ratings of those portfolios' holdings are below the 8 to 10 ratings that I consider buy ratings.

That is, Valuentum "buys" mostly but not always when a stock is rated 8 or above and sells the 3s and below. It holds stocks for the long term as most of its clients, including financial advisers and institutions like to do. So when a stock's rating sinks into the mid range, it hangs on as long as its fair value estimates are above the prices of the stocks in the "portfolio."

Now and then, a stock becomes too risky or is bought out in an acquisition.

Thus, when ISRG, a groupie stock, fell well below Valuentum's buy price, it was deleted from the Best Ideas portfolio. I think Valuentum should be recommending stop loss points and dumping stocks if they fall 7% to 10% below their purchase prices. But that's just me. Every client has a different strategy.

Lots of newsletters have watch portfolios like Valuentum's. See Crossing Wall Street, a free blog, for example. Value Line recommends so many stocks that it doesn't work for me.

So I'm wondering whether there is a way to evaluate the service Valuentum provides in light of its assumed strategy and its update policies?
    Jul 2, 2015. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bet On Seeking Alpha's Future [View article]
    I remember reading the announcement of SA's plan to invite contributors to provide free content. As a business journalist and publisher, myself, I said no way.

Soon, I was a contributor. While I haven't contributed more than a couple articles for several years, I spend way too much time reading SA articles, commenting on them and using them in my searches for new trades and reviews of my holdings.

Having been a long-time commenter on Morningstar's board since the late 90s and online for close to 30 years, I've found that there are more serious, generous and expert commenters on SA than anywhere else.

That is a huge achievement for SA and for its contributors. Strong content generates strong reader participation and builds the kind of community that the Web's pioneers were only dreaming about in the mid 1990s.

Congrats for pulling a Bloomberg. Keep going.
    Jul 2, 2015. 01:29 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airline stocks fall; DOJ probing price collusion [View news story]
    Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton have been and are corrupt. They are selling socialism and making millions in speaking fees doing so. The socialism they're selling will bankrupt America as it has bankrupted Detroit, Puerto Rico, Greece and Argentina.

Since they entered politics, the Clintons have sold their influence and they continue to do so. That's the family business.

There is nothing worse than Clinton-style greed for power and the wealth that comes with power.
    Jul 1, 2015. 05:29 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airline stocks fall; DOJ probing price collusion [View news story]
    When you're operating at near effective capacity, why cut prices? Prices are based on demand as well as expenses. Airlines have been unprofitable since they were created. They're just beginning to look like real businesses instead of play things for investment bankers, leasing companies and their executives.
    Jul 1, 2015. 05:23 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airline stocks fall; DOJ probing price collusion [View news story]
    1. The terribly anti-business, anti-consumer, anti-American DOJ has no intellectual integrity.
    2. For DOJ, legal ethics is an oxymoron.
    3. DOJ specializes in extortion.
    4. Airlines should take DOJ on and force it to spend billions persecuting them. In the end, DOJ has no case and must retreat.
    5. I think airlines are lousy investments.
    Jul 1, 2015. 05:18 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment