Donald Johnson

View Donald Johnson's Comments BY TICKER:

• Apple unveils iPhone 6S/6S+ with 3D Touch sensors, A9 CPU, improved cameras [View news story]
    I'm waiting for product reviews from experts and users. We're due for new iPhones, and the iPad Pro might be nice to have when we travel if it allows me to run several Safari windows at a time. Overall, the new IOS seems to make things more complicated and gives us more things to learn to use or to just ignore.

iPhone badly needs upgrades for its Hotspot (VZ), BlueTooth, Access and Mail applications. And it's Apple Maps still is a pain. Hopefully, we can see some improvements when IOS 9 comes out.

Still don't see any announcement of the IOS 9 release, but it probably will come out when the phone is released Sept. 9.

Glad to see that we can now buy new phones for cash and get rid of high financing charges. Haven't decided whether to stay with Verizon, which I own, or find something that offers a better implementation of the HotSpot and Blue Tooth.

It is so hard to compare carriers because they're all pretty bad.

I own and have written covered calls on AAPL, MSFT and VZ.
    Sep 9, 2015. 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Buying Kinder Morgan: 6% Dividend And 10% Annual Dividend Growth [View article]
    Wall Street Journal warns pipeline expansion will be difficult. Some projects cancelled. Valuentum's warnings about risky dividend, capital markets make KMI a very risky stock, which I sold back in June.

Strong cash flow stocks like AAPL and MSFT, which I own, have more dividend growth potential and much safer dividends and investments, I think.

Before you take huge risks on Valuentum, search Seeking Alpha for Valuentum's articles about KMI and risky MLPs. Beware of stock owners touting this falling knife.
    Sep 9, 2015. 04:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Can I Find Safe Income For Retirement? [View article]
    I suspect most readers of SA and this article already are being smart about managing their risks. They're in the business of managing the risks of their investments and their lives for themselves rather than paying fees to funds or stock and bond brokers, etc.

For me, the reality is that life is and always has been a risk that I've had to manage one way or another. So far, I've been lucky.

Manage your risks by living within your means, as suggested above. Live where you can afford and where you will get excellent health care in your final years. Recognize that regardless of a state's income tax rate, they get you one way or another. The average total tax burdens are pretty much the same in all but the very most expensive and the extremely cheapest states. You get what you pay for.

My strategy is simple for me. Investing is my business now. I work every day at making money and preserving capital. I spend money on information that helps me make money.

I own stocks that are likely to appreciate and grow their dividends while providing ample opportunities to increase my income by writing very out of the money covered calls weekly and monthly. And I'm heavy in cash because I'm getting the annual income we need from our relatively small positions in the markets. But I'll increase our holdings as the market allows.

Most important, my spouse is financially sophisticated and will do fine if I die or become unable to handle our investments before she does.

btw. If you want to live very economically and still enjoy life, sell your home. Establish residence in South Dakota where there are no income or, I think, personal property taxes. Buy a three- or four-year-old 40- to 45-foot motorhome. Travel the country part of the year and spend winters in Florida or Arizona.

Your maintenance and RV Park fees will be less than property taxes, HOA fees and income taxes. But your RV home will depreciate some 10% a year over the first five years or so.
    Sep 2, 2015. 12:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric, Value Play [View article]
    Nobody but a bunch of greedy politicians, lobbyists and bureaucrats will be hurt by the demise of the Ex-Im bank. If a company can't make it without the Ex-Im, it should go out of business. I own CAT and GE.
    Sep 1, 2015. 02:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caterpillar: Activist Versus Jim Chanos [View article]
    Local governments who are working for taxpayers buy CATs. Those who don't care about the total cost ownership buy junk.

Sure, CAT management has made some badly timed trades. Who hasn't? Activists? Gimme a break.
    Sep 1, 2015. 02:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High-Yielding Strong Dividend Growth Stocks For The Long Haul [View article]
    I agree with the article. I buy dividend growth stocks that have growing dividends because management believes it will continue to grow earnings and free cash flow and maintain their dividend safety. Of course, few executives are traders or good investors outside of their bubbles. They get surprised. See Chevron, Exelon, KMI, ETP, etc.

I own AAPL, MSFT, etc. because I believe their stocks and dividends will grow, and I can generate more than 10% on my investment from their dividends and the covered call income I will earn and even more from expected capital appreciation.

I, too, have saved a lot of money because I got out of KMI and ETP in response to warnings from Valuentum. I subscribe to its service.
    Sep 1, 2015. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons Why GM Will Return To 52-Week Highs [View article]
    GM is a good dividend and covered call income stock. I wish it would get out of China before it's forced out. The country is favoring domestically-owned manufacturers over outsiders like GM. This is not a time to be investing in China, Russia or other fascist countries. Oops. That's the whole world.

I've recently purchased GM and have written covered calls on the stock, which should yield more than 10% in dividends and covered call income while it moves with the market, which, I'm assuming, will recover sooner than later.
    Sep 1, 2015. 07:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caterpillar: Activist Versus Jim Chanos [View article]
    CAT is extremely well managed and has the strong support of institutional and individual investors who are smarter than activists who specialize in leveraged buy outs that bankrupt good companies.

Commodity prices respond quickly to changes in supply and demand, which waxes and wanes as producers over expand in bull markets and over contract in bear markets.

CAT is in one business. It produces equipment that moves stuff. When stuff is in high demand, CAT thrives. When it doesn't, CAT lags. It's lagging. It will thrive again.

Real activist investors are holding the stock with a very low basis or are on the sidelines waiting for commodity prices to recover, which they will as they always do.

Yesterday, I wrote covered calls on my CAT holdings.
    Sep 1, 2015. 07:54 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook first: 1B people use it in a single day, Zuckerberg says [View news story]
    I'm on FB and twitter several times a week. I try to post quality comments. Most don't. On FB they post recipes, posters that support their political views and pictures of food.

A very few post about themselves or serious issues on FB. So of the 1 billion FB users, maybe 5% or 10% are worth advertising to, and of those, 1% or 2% look at or respond to ads that produce very little business.

twitter is more interesting because I make a point of following interesting stock pickers, politicians and pundits, not groupies. But the site is so clunky that few try to post on it.

On FB, anybody can post quite easily and engage in conversations. On twitter, only good writers who can say something in 140 characters that is interesting. Good writers seem to have a good time promoting themselves.

RealDonJohnson long before there was a RealDonaldTrump. :)
    Aug 27, 2015. 10:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Buy Now [View article]
    I just reviewed charts and technicals for my portfolio and buy list stocks. While a few have positive Stock Charts Rating Trends ( of 60 or more, all have sells on MACDs for two and 6 months and buys on two days. Same goes for Relative strengths. That includes AAPL, CMI, GILD, MSFT, MRK, VZ, and MO, which I own and would like to add to.

As long as SPY, RSI, QQQ and sector ETFs technicals are still telling me to be patient, I will.

We're getting a bounce. It's not a rally yet, I think. I've nibbled on the way down and have the losses to show for it. No more nibbling. Heavy in cash. I mean heavy.

Meanwhile, time to do some more weekly covered calls way out of the money in case the bounce continues next week.
    Aug 27, 2015. 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Worst Is Over, 5 Reasons To Get Ready For A 'V' Shaped Rally [View article]
    Nobody can predict markets of any kind for any period. Trade your expectations and manage your risks according to your ability to take risks and losses and your trading plan.

Too many touts are trying to call the bottom. I think that undermines their credibility in good times and bad.

Because so many touts are trying to call the market on SA, I think its credibility also is at risk.

I've been nibbling on the way down, but the charts and other technicals will tell me when to jump in with bigger trades.
    Aug 26, 2015. 08:15 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Agricultural Equipment Industry Is Reeling [View article]
    CAT has virtually no exposure to agriculture. Anyone who puts CAT in the ag sector doesn't know the company or industry very well.

CAT and Deere are both in materials handling and construction, but that's another sector.

Yes, corn and beans are very weak and need a good drought around the world to recover. Hogs and beef are relatively strong, however, and egg prices are sky high due to the extermination of millions of chickens.
    Aug 26, 2015. 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Is Beefing Up Content With Extended NFL Partnership [View article]
    Twitter is a clunky news service for both bloggers and readers. I've tweeted mostly on stocks and politics more than 11,000 times. How many stock and political junkies to you know? I don't know anyone personally who tweets or reads them. Yes, I have lots of friends.

All the NFL deal will do is make twitter more cluttered with worthless posts and videos.

Why does anyone want to watch mindless football player knocking each other's brains out in games that will shorten the functional lives of too many of them?

The Tom Brady sport teaches kids to cheat. Is that what you want for your kids and grandkids?
    Aug 21, 2015. 01:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Staples Be In Your Portfolio? [View article]
    My beef with Staples and OfficeDepot/OfficeMax is that they stock few toner and inject cartridges. They stock only those that fit the machines they sell. So I have to go to Amazon to buy cartridges for a one-year-old multifunction HP Inkjet Pro that I bought from an Office Max store.

What this says to me is that these stores are not MicroCenter, a small Ohio-based chain that maximizes its floor and cube space with millions worth of inventory. Their Denver store is mobbed all day long. At best, they're Best Buy.

Other than Micro Center, none of the above are destination stores that customers can depend on as suppliers. Indeed, there is no reason for individuals or business owners to deal with these suppliers. They don't maximize their floor space, much less their cube space.

I'm guessing Micro Center's sales per square foot of floor space is four to eight times the sales of their national competitors— Staples, Office Depot and Best Buy.

That makes the latter three long term losers, I think.

P.S. The only reason I try to patronize Best Buy is that its stores recycle my old computers, printers, TVs and other electronic junk.
    Aug 21, 2015. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Will Google's Transition To Alphabet Impact Shareholders? [View article]
    Kevin O'Leary on CNBC is 100% correct.

1. Googl is not a stock I will look at until it is a single class C corporation that pays a dividend.
    2. GOOGL would have soared 10% if it had become an honest company that gave all shareholders a vote.
    3. A company that reserves voting to class A shareholders, who are the founders and early investors is cheating.
    4. Fools invest in vapor class B stocks that have no votes. They're not real shares.

I've never trusted GOOG founders. They've always shown a lack of interest in ethics.

They've never shown any inclinations in being shareholder friendly.
    Aug 11, 2015. 11:47 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment