Doug Carey, CFA

View Doug Carey, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bernanke Outdoes Greenspan... Again [View article]
    Prediction- Bernanke will eventually use the disasters in Japan as an excuse for QE3.
    Mar 16, 2011. 10:24 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japanese Equities: The Buy of the Decade! [View article]
    Destruction does not create wealth. That is called "the broken window fallacy." This kind of article should have died long ago. I can't believe that people still believe this crap.
    Mar 14, 2011. 07:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Dividend Picks Using a Solid Weighting Scheme [View article]
    I really need a QA person to check my data when I transfer it from my main spreadsheet. Thanks. I've fixed the problem and updated the spreadsheet on my site.
    Mar 9, 2011. 05:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Dividend Picks Using a Solid Weighting Scheme [View article]
    It looks like that is actually the three year growth rate. I will update the spreadsheet. Thanks.
    Mar 1, 2011. 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Road Map for Managing a Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I love the premise of this article and I enjoyed reading it. However, I do have one major problem with when to sell a holding: "(6) It underperforms the market in total returns (price + dividends) for three years running.
    "
    This will happen A LOT with high dividend stocks in an irrational bull market. I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet that in the late 90s you would have been selling most of your high yielding dividend stocks because growth stocks did so well during this time. I would delete #6 altogether in terms of a rule.
    Feb 23, 2011. 05:09 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Will Social Networking Promote Democracy in the United States? [View article]
    Great title. Social unrest has begun in America. Unfortunately it's the unions in Wisconsin.
    Feb 18, 2011. 10:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Safe Fixed-Income Funds for Retirees in 2011 [View article]
    PFN fell 80% in 2009 from its peak in 2007. Yet your article title has the word "safe" in it. You might want to rethink that.
    Feb 16, 2011. 12:32 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly: Easiest Way to Make a 14.5% Return [View article]
    You beat me to it. This is a great example of wealth transfer from common citizens to the banks. You have the dual theft of low rates held down by the Fed, which REITs borrow at, and the federal gurantee on the bonds they buy. The low rates rob savers and give to the banks. The federal guarantee has already robbed taxpayers of their money.

That being said, this is an interesting play on betting that the Fed will not raise rates above 0.5% any time soon. I certainly believe that is the case. Bernanke will not raise rates until inflation is wildly out of control.
    Feb 11, 2011. 11:51 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron Has It All: Dividend Yield, Growth, Safety and a Low Valuation [View article]
    Chevron has been a part of my core portfolio as well as my clients' for the past year. This article makes me feel even better about this holding. Thanks Chuck for the research.
    Feb 10, 2011. 04:04 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Savings Strategies: Everybody's Got One [View article]
    Savers are being robbed by the Fed and that money is being given to the banks. Anybody that doesn't understand that simply doesn't understand how the Fed operates.
    Feb 10, 2011. 04:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jim Cramer Wrong on Gold, Again [View article]
    Nobody should ever listen to Cramer nor write about him. He is the American Idol of the investment world.
    Feb 8, 2011. 11:08 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed Holdings of U.S. Treasuries Surpass China's [View article]
    There is no conservation of money when it can be printed and it's backed by nothing. That's the problem. And yes, you do have the flow of money correct. The Fed prints money, buys treasury bonds, then gives the interest to the Treasury. There is no free lunch though. The citizens of the U.S. lose purchasing power due to higher inflation. It's a stealth tax basically.
    Feb 6, 2011. 12:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed Holdings of U.S. Treasuries Surpass China's [View article]
    Ask yourself, where did the Fed get the money to buy these bonds?
    Feb 6, 2011. 11:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Translation of Bernanke's Speech [View article]
    Very nice. Great to see another contributor who likes Mises and Lew Rockwell.
    Feb 3, 2011. 05:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Is QE2 Doing So Far? [View article]
    Spot on. Tarriffs are intellectual surrender and they absolutely decrease overall economic prosperity. Dr. Richman- You should read Bastiat's famous "Petition to Candle Makers". bastiat.org/en/petitio...
    Feb 3, 2011. 09:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment