Doug Carey, CFA

View Doug Carey, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Retirement Income Planning With Dividend Growth Stocks [View article]
    I agree that the level of certainty for dividend-growth stocks is not as high as many would have us believe. However, that is why the Monte Carlo analysis is included as well. It takes into account the higher levels of volatility of equities vs. fixed income. But it is very true that the stability of dividend payments is nothing like the stability of fixed income.
    Nov 6 06:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    I suppose I could run backtesting for performance, but that is also fraught with problems. Controlling for every variable is notoriously difficult.
    Oct 28 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    Good question. Yes, sometimes I use P/E rather than debt to equity and sometimes I use both. I like using P/E for value companies. For growth companies the P/E ratio is tougher to use due to their higher growth rates and thus higher P/E ratios. Price/Book for banks does sound like a solid idea too.
    Oct 25 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    That's how I look at it. Due diligence every quarter, although I don't necessarily reweight that often. It depends how much the variables have changed.
    Oct 24 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    There are an infinite number of combinations of price increases and changes in dividend yield. To make the examples more simple I chose to hold the stock price increase to 0%. This is very possible by the way. Look at Microsoft's stock from 2001 through 2012. It didn't really move, yet their dividends increased at a rapid clip.
    Oct 10 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    Yes, Einstein was on to something when he talked about the power of compounding!
    Oct 10 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    Thanks for the nice compliment. It is much appreciated.
    Oct 10 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem Of (And Solution To) Life Expectancy In Retirement Plans [View article]
    I did use a normal distribution. However, our program has an option to use a Laplace distribution, which has fatter tails. This means the probability of extreme events is higher.
    Aug 29 10:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Sysco Vs. ADM [View article]
    Dividends are reinvested so there are extra dividends coming in each year due to this. Holding price constant is a simplifying assumption. Users are free to put in any price change they want on the calculators.
    Aug 22 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Sysco Vs. ADM [View article]
    Yes, that chart has a problem with the legend. ADM should be first there. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Aug 22 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Reduce (Or Eliminate) Paying Taxes On American Capital Agency's Dividend [View article]
    As I mentioned before, if the skeptical people out there don't believe that this works, ask your accountant. I promise you he will agree with me that this strategy works great if you have capital losses to use.
    Aug 1 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You pay NO taxes if you can offset the gains with losses.
    Aug 1 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The wash sale rule does not apply here. You're simply offsetting gains with losses. If you don't believe me, ask your accountant.
    Aug 1 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Exxon Can Do For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks. Starting young is a very good idea. Just make sure you keep track of the companies' debt levels, dividend growth, and payout ratios over time.
    Jul 26 06:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Exxon Can Do For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    They only spend $45k per year, not $80k in my scenario. Keep in mind that taxes take a bite out of social security and obviously out of their investments.
    Jul 26 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment