Doug Carey, CFA

View Doug Carey, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Can You Retire By Age 60? [View article]
    Good question: We use the historical 10 year correlation, which is -0.51.
    Apr 10, 2014. 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Retire By Age 60? [View article]
    Thanks for the heads-up. It is a misprint. It should say they have $400K now. I will have this changed.
    Apr 9, 2014. 09:50 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Income Planning With Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Just a hypothetical scenario to help make the example work. Could have been sale of a business, inheritance, etc. But I do see your point and will make it more clear in future articles. Thanks.
    Mar 5, 2014. 04:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reduce (Or Even Eliminate) Those Pesky Taxes On Mortgage REIT Dividends [View article]
    My accountant and my tax forms disagree.
    Feb 17, 2014. 09:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well, nobody can predict the future price. If you would have bought and held during that time period you also would have lost money AND you would have owed income taxes on the dividends. At least with this strategy I've laid out you could have offset your dividend taxes with capital losses.
    Feb 14, 2014. 07:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Retire On Less Than $1 Million? [View article]
    Thanks, that was well said and exactly how I see it as well.
    Jan 20, 2014. 09:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Retire On Less Than $1 Million? [View article]
    I completely agree that it's prudent to be more conservative with assumptions when creating your own plan. I too assume I will live to age 95!
    Jan 16, 2014. 03:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Weights For Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Sorry, I do not give out my entire portfolio since I do charge for investment advice.
    Jan 8, 2014. 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How A Company Like Johnson & Johnson Can Save Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    I am a big fan of Exxon and Procter & Gamble for the long-run. Be careful of seeking out just high yield though. As I've pointed out before, growth in dividends can be as or more important.
    Dec 6, 2013. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble Or Kimberly-Clark For Retirement Portfolios? [View article]
    I should have made it more clear that I was looking to add only one of these stocks to my portfolio at the time. But yes, both are solid dividend-growth stocks and I have nothing against Kimberly-Clark. But if I had to make a choice, PG is definitely what I am going with.
    Nov 22, 2013. 09:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Income Planning With Dividend Growth Stocks [View article]
    I agree that the level of certainty for dividend-growth stocks is not as high as many would have us believe. However, that is why the Monte Carlo analysis is included as well. It takes into account the higher levels of volatility of equities vs. fixed income. But it is very true that the stability of dividend payments is nothing like the stability of fixed income.
    Nov 6, 2013. 06:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    I suppose I could run backtesting for performance, but that is also fraught with problems. Controlling for every variable is notoriously difficult.
    Oct 28, 2013. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    Good question. Yes, sometimes I use P/E rather than debt to equity and sometimes I use both. I like using P/E for value companies. For growth companies the P/E ratio is tougher to use due to their higher growth rates and thus higher P/E ratios. Price/Book for banks does sound like a solid idea too.
    Oct 25, 2013. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    That's how I look at it. Due diligence every quarter, although I don't necessarily reweight that often. It depends how much the variables have changed.
    Oct 24, 2013. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    There are an infinite number of combinations of price increases and changes in dividend yield. To make the examples more simple I chose to hold the stock price increase to 0%. This is very possible by the way. Look at Microsoft's stock from 2001 through 2012. It didn't really move, yet their dividends increased at a rapid clip.
    Oct 10, 2013. 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment