Doug Carey, CFA

View Doug Carey, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    I do better than backtest. I use the strategy myself and the profits speak for themselves. I pay no taxes on my REIT dividends, which come in the form of capital gains.
    Oct 11 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    You don't need to be a technician at all. Your risk is no different than owning the stock outright. Now, whether or not owning REITs is a good idea in general is a different topic altogether.
    Oct 10 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    If you sell the day before the ex-div date you do not receive the dividend. You can Google this yourself.
    Oct 10 04:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighting Your Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    It doesn't necessarily rule them out. It would just lower their weight using my method. Also keep in mind that the way I set up the spreadsheet, users can change the weight given to Debt/Equity. So if they think it's not too important, they can weight this variable by, say, 10% instead of the 33% I used.
    Sep 19 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Watch Out For This Retirement Pitfall [View article]
    IRAs are half of the total, so $450K.
    Sep 7 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analyzing Wal-Mart's Dividend [View article]
    Thanks for nice feedback. I don't generally give price points since I like to look at the long-run potential of the dividends. It's really about the total return projections for me, which is why I like to run the type of analysis shown here. I think Wal-Mart can still provide a wonderful stream of long-term income going forward from here.
    Aug 29 05:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Time To Rethink Its Dividend [View article]
    The dividend yield data has been corrected. Thanks for the feedback.
    Aug 9 01:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Time To Rethink Its Dividend [View article]
    I do not control the data feed from various sources. I apologize for the misleading dividend yield data, but that is what many sources are reporting right now.
    Aug 9 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Really Need $1 Million To Retire? [View article]
    See above: Everything is in today's dollars.
    Aug 1 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Really Need $1 Million To Retire? [View article]
    Everything is in today's dollars, i.e., adjusted for inflation.
    Aug 1 06:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: AT&T Or ADP? [View article]
    Yes, I urge people to put in their own assumptions and take a look using the same calculator I used. There is a link to it in the article.
    Jul 27 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: AT&T Or ADP? [View article]
    Thanks for the nice feedback!
    Jul 27 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing Valuations Of Dividend Stocks And Cyclical Stocks [View article]
    "Dividend champions are defined as stocks increasing their dividend for 25 years in a row. So going back 30 years in the study of these stocks is quite ridiculous!"

Very well said and spot on.
    Jul 26 12:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    Some Monte Carlo simulations, like in our software, allow for "fat tails". It's called a LaPlace distribution.
    Jul 23 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    Good idea. You can actually test your ideas using a free trial version of our software. You would have Monte Carlo access in the trial. Feel free to sign up at http://bit.ly/ylqKdW.
    Jul 20 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment