Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    Microsoft has been increasing their dividend at about this rate each year for the last 10 years. It is completely possible and very likely in my opinion for Apple to do the same.
    Jun 28 10:03 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Rising Interest Rates Save Your Retirement Plan? [View article]
    Those types of funds are certainly more risky than the dividend payers I described because they own REITs and MLPs. I'm not saying there isn't a place for these investments, but it's important to understand the holdings in these types of funds before buying them.
    May 30 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    I assumed a 6% rate of return, which includes the dividend portion. That is one difference. I'm also thinking you didn't take into account the 3% inflation rate I used. Then of course we have taxes. It can get complicated very quickly, which is why sophisticated software is more accurate than spreadsheets. Way too many variables to keep track of.
    May 17 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    You'd be surprised at how many 60-somethings have $2 million plus and will run out of money if they keep spending like they're spending. I've seen it first hand.
    May 16 05:18 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Not true. You probably did not take into account inflation or taxes or both.
    May 16 05:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Six representative stocks. I would never recommend only investing in six stocks, but instead I am recommending investing in a basket of stocks that have similar qualities as these do. I will make that more clear next time. Thanks for pointing this out.
    May 16 02:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Don't forget about taxes!
    May 16 02:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Or Target: Which Dividend For The Long Run? [View article]
    That is right. And this is the only reason I do not own Target. Although Wal-Mart's debt levels are creeping up to a point where I am becoming wary of them as well.
    May 9 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Want To Retire Before 60? Here Is What You Need To Know [View article]
    I think that's way too pessimistic. I usually reduce expected social security by 25% when I run my own plan.
    May 1 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 90% Of Green Energy Stocks Will Go Bankrupt... So Buy The Sector? [View article]
    If you bet on green energy companies you are betting on government handouts. It's that simple. Without the handouts, no question 90% of them will go bankrupt, as they should.
    Apr 19 10:53 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    And Microsoft for the past 10 years.
    Apr 4 01:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Intel & Microsoft [View article]
    My wording is definitely not that great here. I did not mean that I don't take into account any price appreciation. I meant that I assume there is no price appreciation to keep the examples simple. Thanks for pointing this out. I will clarify in the future.
    Apr 2 09:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reduce Or Eliminate Taxes On American Capital Agency, Other REITS [View article]
    You can offset short-term gains with capital losses as well.
    Feb 28 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Who said I was backtesting anything? It's all forward looking.
    Feb 27 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Exactly. Thanks for replying what I was about to. Many people simply don't understand the strategy very well.
    Feb 27 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment