Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    Good question. Yes, sometimes I use P/E rather than debt to equity and sometimes I use both. I like using P/E for value companies. For growth companies the P/E ratio is tougher to use due to their higher growth rates and thus higher P/E ratios. Price/Book for banks does sound like a solid idea too.
    Oct 25, 2013. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Weight Your Dividend Paying Stocks: Q3 Update [View article]
    That's how I look at it. Due diligence every quarter, although I don't necessarily reweight that often. It depends how much the variables have changed.
    Oct 24, 2013. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    There are an infinite number of combinations of price increases and changes in dividend yield. To make the examples more simple I chose to hold the stock price increase to 0%. This is very possible by the way. Look at Microsoft's stock from 2001 through 2012. It didn't really move, yet their dividends increased at a rapid clip.
    Oct 10, 2013. 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    Yes, Einstein was on to something when he talked about the power of compounding!
    Oct 10, 2013. 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Great Addition To Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    Thanks for the nice compliment. It is much appreciated.
    Oct 10, 2013. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem Of (And Solution To) Life Expectancy In Retirement Plans [View article]
    I did use a normal distribution. However, our program has an option to use a Laplace distribution, which has fatter tails. This means the probability of extreme events is higher.
    Aug 29, 2013. 10:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Sysco Vs. ADM [View article]
    Dividends are reinvested so there are extra dividends coming in each year due to this. Holding price constant is a simplifying assumption. Users are free to put in any price change they want on the calculators.
    Aug 22, 2013. 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Sysco Vs. ADM [View article]
    Yes, that chart has a problem with the legend. ADM should be first there. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Aug 22, 2013. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Reduce (Or Eliminate) Paying Taxes On American Capital Agency's Dividend [View article]
    As I mentioned before, if the skeptical people out there don't believe that this works, ask your accountant. I promise you he will agree with me that this strategy works great if you have capital losses to use.
    Aug 1, 2013. 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You pay NO taxes if you can offset the gains with losses.
    Aug 1, 2013. 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The wash sale rule does not apply here. You're simply offsetting gains with losses. If you don't believe me, ask your accountant.
    Aug 1, 2013. 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Exxon Can Do For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks. Starting young is a very good idea. Just make sure you keep track of the companies' debt levels, dividend growth, and payout ratios over time.
    Jul 26, 2013. 06:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Exxon Can Do For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    They only spend $45k per year, not $80k in my scenario. Keep in mind that taxes take a bite out of social security and obviously out of their investments.
    Jul 26, 2013. 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Figuring Out When You Can Retire [View article]
    I'm sure you're not properly taking into account taxes. That usually trips people up when trying to compare numbers vs. our software.
    Jul 11, 2013. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Figuring Out When You Can Retire [View article]
    Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words on this forum.
    Jul 11, 2013. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment