Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:

• Figuring Out When You Can Retire [View article]
    I'm sure you're not properly taking into account taxes. That usually trips people up when trying to compare numbers vs. our software.
    Jul 11, 2013. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Figuring Out When You Can Retire [View article]
    Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words on this forum.
    Jul 11, 2013. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Figuring Out When You Can Retire [View article]
    Way too many assumptions to try and compare it in a spreadsheet. Out planning tool has been tested by thousands of users at this point. Feel free to give it a try. Signing up for a free trial only takes 30 seconds.
    Jul 11, 2013. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    That is a very informative matrix. I wonder if it is looking at companies who raised their dividend by at least x% each and every year or if it is looking at the annualized growth rate of the dividend over selected time periods. It appears to be the former. My analysis looks at the annualized growth rate, so a 5% growth rate in one year can be made up for by a 20% growth rate.
    Jun 28, 2013. 01:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    Look at Microsoft. Share price has barely moved in 10 years and dividends up 187%. There are plenty of examples where this has happened.
    Jun 28, 2013. 10:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    Microsoft has been increasing their dividend at about this rate each year for the last 10 years. It is completely possible and very likely in my opinion for Apple to do the same.
    Jun 28, 2013. 10:03 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Rising Interest Rates Save Your Retirement Plan? [View article]
    Those types of funds are certainly more risky than the dividend payers I described because they own REITs and MLPs. I'm not saying there isn't a place for these investments, but it's important to understand the holdings in these types of funds before buying them.
    May 30, 2013. 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    I assumed a 6% rate of return, which includes the dividend portion. That is one difference. I'm also thinking you didn't take into account the 3% inflation rate I used. Then of course we have taxes. It can get complicated very quickly, which is why sophisticated software is more accurate than spreadsheets. Way too many variables to keep track of.
    May 17, 2013. 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    You'd be surprised at how many 60-somethings have $2 million plus and will run out of money if they keep spending like they're spending. I've seen it first hand.
    May 16, 2013. 05:18 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Not true. You probably did not take into account inflation or taxes or both.
    May 16, 2013. 05:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Six representative stocks. I would never recommend only investing in six stocks, but instead I am recommending investing in a basket of stocks that have similar qualities as these do. I will make that more clear next time. Thanks for pointing this out.
    May 16, 2013. 02:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $2 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Don't forget about taxes!
    May 16, 2013. 02:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Or Target: Which Dividend For The Long Run? [View article]
    That is right. And this is the only reason I do not own Target. Although Wal-Mart's debt levels are creeping up to a point where I am becoming wary of them as well.
    May 9, 2013. 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Want To Retire Before 60? Here Is What You Need To Know [View article]
    I think that's way too pessimistic. I usually reduce expected social security by 25% when I run my own plan.
    May 1, 2013. 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 90% Of Green Energy Stocks Will Go Bankrupt... So Buy The Sector? [View article]
    If you bet on green energy companies you are betting on government handouts. It's that simple. Without the handouts, no question 90% of them will go bankrupt, as they should.
    Apr 19, 2013. 10:53 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment