Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Taxes Are Going Up: When Can You Retire Now? [View article]
    Yes, that was a mistake. I was supposed to split that balance between IRAs and taxable funds. That would lower their probably of success slightly, but the impact isn't extremely large.
    Jan 4 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxes Are Going Up: When Can You Retire Now? [View article]
    Taxes is the answer. And remember, in the worst-case scenario I have social security being reduced for them.
    Jan 4 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxes Are Going Up: When Can You Retire Now? [View article]
    It's the total amount spent. So if 35K comes from social security then they need 5K from other sources.
    Jan 3 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxes Are Going Up: When Can You Retire Now? [View article]
    I do, actually. " So I moved the 25% of Treasury funds they own into a 50/50 combination of Treasury-Inflation Protected Securities (TIP) and a portfolio of solid dividend paying stocks with a history of consistent dividend growth..."
    Jan 3 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxes Are Going Up: When Can You Retire Now? [View article]
    Dave- I assumed they spend $40K per year in retirement. Check out the table in the article. I list many of the assumptions used there.
    Jan 3 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: Kimberly-Clark Vs. Wal-Mart [View article]
    Very good comments and questions in this thread. Steve, you asked "You could always switch from KMB to WMT at that point."

The main reason is this: Most likely the price of Wal-Mart's stock will have risen by that point so you would have missed out on the price growth and you will now be locking in a lower yield-on-cost. You would also have missed out on all of the dividend growth during this time.

My view is that when you invest in DG companies you are betting on their business model and their continued growth in earnings and dividends. If you believe in the company and trust the company to keep growing their dividends then they might be the better investment compared to a higher yielding stock.

What I really try to show with these articles is that you don't have to have a 4%+ dividend yield to be a solid long-term investment. It's very important to understand the potential a DG stock can have, which is why I like to run the numbers over 10 and 20 years.
    Dec 28 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike- It is good to be diversified, but the main point I like to get across in these articles is that a high dividend yield might not be as valuable as some might think. You have to run the numbers and see just how the cash flows pan out over the long-run. I always run several scenarios first to see what my total return will be over a 10 year and a 20 year time frame.
    Dec 27 10:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Vs. Coca-Cola: Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth [View article]
    Yes, that is a fair point. But it makes it all the more important to give users access to these tools so they can input their own assumptions, which is why we offer our calculators for free.
    Dec 14 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Vs. Coca-Cola: Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth [View article]
    Yes, I do agree that the price will go up rather than the dividend yield going to 10% or more. But there are an infinite number of combinations I could run, so the easiest example is no price appreciation and I then let readers go to our free calculator and input any assumption they want for price appreciation.

Also, in terms of total return, the results would not be drastically different if the gains come in the form of dividends or capital gains.
    Dec 14 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Vs. Coca-Cola: Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth [View article]
    Thanks for the nice feedback. One way to handle the riskier payout ratio is to reduce the growth rate of the dividend slightly if the payout ratio is higher.
    Dec 13 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Beat Inflation With Dividends? [View article]
    50% CUMULATIVE inflation. Seriously, compounding is a fundamental part of finance. Please stop hurling accusations before you think about the simple math of it all. It only takes 13 years to achieve 50% cumulative inflation if inflation is 3% per year. And look at the column for Dividend Payments. It's clearly increasing, which means dividend growth.
    Dec 12 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prepare To Short Gold [View article]
    Your correlation between gold and CPI- Which years did you use? You don't even mention your time period. Try correlating changes in gold vs. inflation over the past 150 years. You'll find the correlation to be extremely positive.
    Dec 7 12:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Changes To The COLA Index And The Impact On Your Retirement Plan [View article]
    Most of my dividend paying stocks are in my IRA so I'm not worried about the higher tax rate there. As for dividend payers in taxable accounts, at the margin it of course reduces the incentive to buy dividend paying stocks. I think the worst part will be from the corporate side- It will reduce THEIR incentive to increase the dividend.
    Dec 7 10:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I often show exactly what you're asking about- What happens if a person or a couple moves into dividend aristocrats from the typical equity fund? See this article by me here- http://seekingalpha.co...

and this one- http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 6 09:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Procter & Gamble Save Your Retirement Portfolio? [View article]
    You got it! Thanks for the reply.
    Nov 29 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment