Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Can You Beat Inflation With Dividends? [View article]
    Of course dividends can grow faster than inflation. But my article was simply showing what happens to those dividend payments as inflation rises. Even if dividends are increasing faster than inflation, if the inflation rate skyrockets the tax bite will become worse and worse.
    Nov 7, 2012. 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Beat Inflation With Dividends? [View article]
    I did not assume dividends stayed the same. I assumed the total return from dividends stayed the same or moved with inflation. Very different. This implies dividends are rising.
    Nov 7, 2012. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $1 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    And thanks for the comment. Monte Carlo can be useful if the starting assumptions are reasonable. Some advisors use 10% return assumptions for equities, which in my opinion is ludicrous. Garbage in garbage out. But with conservative starting assumptions I believe Monte Carlo is a great tool, even for dividend paying stocks since dividends can of course be cut.
    Oct 25, 2012. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $1 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Yes, but even if you plan on spending only $25,000 a year you should still find out if you can spend that amount without running out of money.
    Oct 25, 2012. 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $1 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Hey, that's great that you feel that confident about your retirement! Most people don't though. I suppose you don't read all the articles out there discussing how few people have enough money saved for retirement.
    Oct 25, 2012. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will $1 Million Get You In Retirement? [View article]
    Ah yes, I get this question a lot. One answer is taxes. It's amazing how much of an impact taxes have on retirement plans. That's why it's vitally important to use an accurate retirement planner that takes into account today's tax code.

The other reason the probability is not closer to 100% is that the value of their equities could plummet in a market crash type of scenario, which of course Monte Carlo takes into account. So in certain scenarios (the tail-end risk) the value of the equities (and their dividend payments) falls by 50% or more.
    Oct 24, 2012. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation, Deflation, Gold And Central Banking [View article]
    For 100 years before the Fed was created the price of gold increased by 0%. How's that for price stability? In other words, we don't need the Fed at all.
    Oct 19, 2012. 11:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Vs. Wal-Mart: Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth [View article]
    Dave- Yield is never locked in since dividends can be cut. It's the same issue. You're making a projection based on the knowledge you have today.
    Oct 18, 2012. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Vs. Wal-Mart: Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth [View article]
    No need to take the present value when we're comparing their future values that already have reinvestment taken into account.
    Oct 17, 2012. 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Housing Starts, New Permits Rise Sharply In September: The Economy Isn't Deteriorating [View article]
    The author knows nothing about what causes true economic growth. This could have been written by Paul Krugman.
    Oct 17, 2012. 02:15 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    I respectfully and completely disagree. There is nothing at all misleading about the title.
    Oct 11, 2012. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    You are missing the point of the article. I am not recommending any stock. This is an illustration of how one can take any high dividend stock or REIT and convert the dividends to capital gains.
    Oct 11, 2012. 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    The "data" you are referring to are all hypothetical. It's all forward looking. I could show you my own brokerage statements that prove that this strategy works since I use it myself.
    Oct 11, 2012. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    I do better than backtest. I use the strategy myself and the profits speak for themselves. I pay no taxes on my REIT dividends, which come in the form of capital gains.
    Oct 11, 2012. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boost Your Total Return For REITs - A Look At Chimera [View article]
    You don't need to be a technician at all. Your risk is no different than owning the stock outright. Now, whether or not owning REITs is a good idea in general is a different topic altogether.
    Oct 10, 2012. 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment