Doug Carey

View Doug Carey's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Analyzing Wal-Mart's Dividend [View article]
    Thanks for nice feedback. I don't generally give price points since I like to look at the long-run potential of the dividends. It's really about the total return projections for me, which is why I like to run the type of analysis shown here. I think Wal-Mart can still provide a wonderful stream of long-term income going forward from here.
    Aug 29 05:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Time To Rethink Its Dividend [View article]
    The dividend yield data has been corrected. Thanks for the feedback.
    Aug 9 01:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Time To Rethink Its Dividend [View article]
    I do not control the data feed from various sources. I apologize for the misleading dividend yield data, but that is what many sources are reporting right now.
    Aug 9 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Really Need $1 Million To Retire? [View article]
    See above: Everything is in today's dollars.
    Aug 1 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Really Need $1 Million To Retire? [View article]
    Everything is in today's dollars, i.e., adjusted for inflation.
    Aug 1 06:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: AT&T Or ADP? [View article]
    Yes, I urge people to put in their own assumptions and take a look using the same calculator I used. There is a link to it in the article.
    Jul 27 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth: AT&T Or ADP? [View article]
    Thanks for the nice feedback!
    Jul 27 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing Valuations Of Dividend Stocks And Cyclical Stocks [View article]
    "Dividend champions are defined as stocks increasing their dividend for 25 years in a row. So going back 30 years in the study of these stocks is quite ridiculous!"

Very well said and spot on.
    Jul 26 12:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    Some Monte Carlo simulations, like in our software, allow for "fat tails". It's called a LaPlace distribution.
    Jul 23 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    Good idea. You can actually test your ideas using a free trial version of our software. You would have Monte Carlo access in the trial. Feel free to sign up at http://bit.ly/ylqKdW.
    Jul 20 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    Glad I could help. I plan on digging deeper into the issue of volatility of returns for DG stocks vs. the S&P 500 and Nasdaq. The correlations matter as well, which will be another article I write. Thanks for the feedback.
    Jul 20 02:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    To be honest I would rather be in Cash (or very short-term fixed income) rather than any fixed income past two years. I believe the risk/reward tradeoff is not in bonds' favor right now.
    Jul 20 11:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Need In Order To Retire Before Age 60 [View article]
    With fixed-income yields as low as they are it can be very wise to move funds to dividend paying stocks with a consistent history of raising or at least not cutting their dividends. Some people are definitely not cut out to have a high % in equities. But others have done quite well with the strategy of investing in safe dividend payers with a proven history.
    Jul 20 11:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Save On REIT Taxes With Hatteras Financial Corp. [View article]
    You have to pay the taxes on dividends even if you reinvest them.
    Jul 16 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Calculating The Probability Of Running Out Of Money In Retirement [View article]
    No doubt that low yields have made it very difficult on a lot of people in or nearing retirement. It's part of the Fed's stated objective of pushing people to take more risk. It's sad and angering at the same time. But like you said, a solid DG portfolio is a good option for many investors in place of treasuries.
    Jul 12 09:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment