Doug Eberhardt

View Doug Eberhardt's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The FOMC Kept GLD From Falling Further [View article]
    The Fed wasn't going to do anything to upset the markets and still views the economy as doing fine. http://cnb.cx/1z8UDC7

I see the glass as half empty; The Illusion of an Economic Recovery http://bit.ly/1spb4Tf

We'll see who is right soon enough. Just remember, the Fed didn't see 2008 coming, and Japan and Europe have their own issues which isn't going to help our economy either. I don't see the Fed raising rates while fighting deflation which seems to be in line with your thinking Lior. I do think we get some year end selling in gold though. Last year we got a bounce into the end of the year. I don't think we repeat.
    Dec 18, 2014. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Capitulation Moment Appears Imminent - See Bottoming Within Days Thereafter [View article]
    Thanks ptTL9, yes, that's how I see it setting up right now. Bounces will come and go, but nothing I see with my indicators tell me we go higher and higher yet.
    Dec 18, 2014. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Markos, you may want to update your "brag"ing page on your site to a date where you were right since 2008; the last post of your past predictions. Perhaps something in the last 6 years?
    Dec 17, 2014. 10:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Give Thanks For Gold Being On Sale [View article]
    It's the Fed meeting week. Volatility was expected. :-)

Dec 16, 2014. 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Ways To Invest In Silver With Your IRA [View article]
    Hardog, your not really making sense. You can buy US mint silver with your IRA. There is no real numismatic value with silver Eagles. There IS premium one may get in the future when supplies disappear. Anything more is speculation.

You can buy silver rounds that are .999 pure for $1.70 an ounce less than the US mint silver which is $850 more for 500 ounces. You can have that $850 working for you doubling and tripling in silver rather than hoping for appreciation from a numismatic aspect for the Eagles.
    Dec 15, 2014. 10:48 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Ways To Invest In Silver With Your IRA [View article]
    dvernes,

Yeah, I have been consistent with my recommendations on dollar cost averaging because I view gold as insurance first and foremost. Meaning, you have to have some just in case we get that black swan event. But with all of the potential problems that have come our way with higher debt, QE, wars, etc., gold still hasn't taken off. That's because the indicators I follow haven't given me the sign it is ready to yet. In that sense, nothing has changed. But I still recommend to dollar cost average.

I have many trained to buy the dip. So when a dip comes, you buy. My busiest times the last two years were the two dips last year and the November dip this year. Anyone who bought at those times is doing ok overall. I have others who buy every month and don't care about price. I have many waiting for the "all in" article.

I would simply buy now, buy next month on any dip and buy the following months until you have fulfilled your allocation. Whether or not we hit a bottom price, the way to look at is is as follows;

If investor A bought Apple stock at $300 pre-split and investor B bought Apple stock at $400, and today it is at $700, both investors would be very happy with their purchase price. Yet Investor B paid over 20% more for his stock.

One of the issues I have with calling a bottom is we didn't really capitulate yet. If I am right about the deflationary aspect to this economy, and so far I have been, then we can still go lower and market makers will make sure the pain is felt. This scenario, along with my other indicators I have written about (the 8 indicators article), and some others have kept me from writing the all in article despite the fact I would make more money by simply writing it.

Hope that helps some.
    Dec 13, 2014. 01:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude oil eyes a 5-handle [View news story]
    I think we concur on most everything PF.

One thing about Keynes from my reading of him is he would scoff at our present governments spending. It is supposed to be "temporary" lol.
    Dec 13, 2014. 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Give Thanks For Gold Being On Sale [View article]
    zub, I have a reputation here, you don't. So what I say about Avi goes a long way towards those who have been reading comments here for years and know me.

I also don't hide behind a pseudonym and sit in a university office criticizing others but more than one comment and I move on unless I get a reply from the author and we have a civilized debate. I also use my real name and won't give time to write more than a couple comments to those who try and draw me into a meaningless debate with those that don't use their real name.

You ask me to recall trades I made with the help of Avi and his team when above I said "I can vouch for Avi's accuracy as well as other in his staff and in his trading rooms." I have made a ton of good trades via the calls by Avi and his staff. I have lost some as well. I am a member of his Elliottwavetrader.net Why don't you sign up for the 2 week free trial and then open yourself up to a real debate based on facts rather than a Marketwatch and Seeking Alpha arm chair quarterback poster?

Of your 229 posts (so far), how many of them have helped others make money? Most all of my almost 3000 posts, and including my articles here have. That's all Avi is trying to do in writing and he has several testimonials on his site that prove he has done well for them. I chimed in because I pointed out that no one is perfect.

And yes, this will be the last I post on it to you as I felt it needed a follow up. Naturally you will take this opportunity to tell us how great your trading is because you took someone else's advice and how Avi or his followers have to somehow prove to you his accuracy while not making the effort to find out yourself.

"Bertrand declares that a teapot is, at this very moment, in orbit around the Sun between the Earth and Mars, and that because no one can prove him wrong his claim is therefore a valid one."

Good look Mr. Burden of Proof.

Dec 13, 2014. 08:30 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Recent Recovery Of GLD Sustainable? [View article]
    I don't see the Fed raising rates either. Sure, they can "talk the talk" to accomplish a goal (see Draghi) and they may have a little wiggle room to do this with the 10 year closing in on 2%, but I just wrote about what I believe to be the real economy;

The Illusion of an Economic Recovery

This doesn't mean that the stock market can't continue higher (I think it will) and gold lower (I think it will).
    Dec 12, 2014. 10:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Running Out Of Its Safe Haven Steam [View article]

Can't say I agree with you on a stronger economy Markos.

My latest;

The Illusion of an Economic Recovery http://bit.ly/1spb4Tf
    Dec 12, 2014. 09:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude oil eyes a 5-handle [View news story]
    pink, Japan has lasted during their bout with deflation because they have been a net exporter and of course government made up for any slack in GDP. They also held a surplus of American debt to the tune of about $1 trillion. The U.S. on the other hand, as strong as the Fed may think this current economy is, and with the perception by many economists that it is, happens to be a net importer and the largest debtor nation on earth. While the dollar and treasuries have been stronger with this deflation, when money velocity kicks in, it's the beginning of the end if the economy is indeed still lagging. Will be interesting to see how deep we continue with deflation. We're seeing a current bounce in some commodities but it is rather weak. Other commodities like oil and natural gas are still hitting 52 week lows this week. PPI contracted. But hey, consumer confidence at an 8 year high! (lol)
    Dec 12, 2014. 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Interesting Times For All Commodities And Investments!! Chapter 92.... [View instapost]
    They don't have to go hand in hand IT. It's definitely not static. Deflation has been wreaking havoc on all commodities and some commodities, (grains and metals) have bounced a little.
    Dec 11, 2014. 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude oil eyes a 5-handle [View news story]
    The Fed would like you to believe deflation is bad because they need some inflation to keep their game going. That's why they fight it (see Bernanke's 2002 deflation speech).

Deflation resulting in lower prices is not bad. Deflation that weeds out the companies that make bad decisions leaving good ones is not bad. Anything the government is involved in (student loans, health care, food stamps) that results in higher prices is not inflation, but those businesses taking advantage of guaranteed programs paid for by U.S. taxpayers, which is not good.
    Dec 11, 2014. 10:40 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude oil eyes a 5-handle [View news story]
    Deflation http://bit.ly/1urekOM
    Dec 11, 2014. 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Give Thanks For Gold Being On Sale [View article]
    Dennis Gartman claims an 80% failure rate and charges $5,000 a year for his newsletter subscription. He told this to his audience at a Chicago investment conference I attended. He's touted on CNBC as an expert.

So let's put things into perspective. No one is perfect and I can vouch for Avi's accuracy as well as other in his staff and in his trading rooms. For someone to waste so much time talking about others in a critical manner via multiple paragraphs, a reader would have to judge as to intent. I have better things to do with my time; like make money. I'm not perfect with my calls, but I'm not bad either and not deserving, like Avi, of so much criticism when all we try to do is help people understand things for themselves.
    Dec 11, 2014. 09:33 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment