Doug McHugh

View Doug McHugh's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Panera Bread: The Darkest Hour Is Just Before The Dawn [View article]
    Excellent article!! It seems that Panera will employ leading edge technology, as it applies to the food biz, in its transition to 2.0. Or will it be bleeding edge? Time will tell.
    Jul 29 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Preview: Expectations Are High [View article]
    Wow...pity the fool who says anything negative about AAPL. People get emotional.
    Jul 21 09:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, Phil.
    Apr 25 08:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's For Fast Food, Not Fast Growth [View article]
    Mking30, you already understand the basic mechanics of a split, and there really isn't much more to it. Sometimes companies split to encourage trading activity - people (for no logical reason) have an easier time buying 100 shares for $50 each than buying 50 shares for $100 each. Also, a split is generally viewed as a bullish signal that the directors expect the stock to go up in the near term. But in the end, as you state, it really doesn't matter with regard to the value of what you are holding or buying. It's mostly about perceptions.
    Apr 16 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's For Fast Food, Not Fast Growth [View article]
    No....I haven't heard that.
    Apr 16 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, scchan. I think your point is that entry into the restaurant industry is relatively easy. My point in the article is that getting into the Panera Bread franchise business, as compared to getting into some other franchises, is relatively difficult.
    Mar 26 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks, QTR. I can't disagree with "cheeky." Happy trading.
    Mar 23 01:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks, Rob. You've probably seen the recent support around 155. I think the next catalyst will be earnings in May.
    Mar 23 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    Mydweigh, if you think UA probably has a bright future, we agree. But I would stop short of calling it a sure thing. I've invested in a few "sure things" over the years that weren't. Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 15 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    SoCal88, thanks for summing up some of the "intangible" value of the company.
    Mar 13 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    soleprop, you've got me thinking...what if there was a Superbowl commercial for military surplus?...
    Seriously, your point is well-taken. A huge part of success in chasing the discretionary dollar is in effective marketing. And sometimes this branding enables a company to charge more for their products. But some people will not pay more for "fluff."
    Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 13 02:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    Thanks for your comment, Phil. I agree with your assessment of UA's strong brand.
    In the short run, having a product that's new and exciting will get you far. In the long run, quality and value take the front seat.
    Mar 13 01:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Stocks To Buy, 1 Stock To Sell, Weekly Outlook For Market [View article]
    It's time for Tim Cook to share at least a part of his secret plan for 2013. Because increasingly, the market is believing he doesn't have one.

Long AAPL.
    Mar 4 10:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Ryan, I agree. I wonder how many people think inflation is "under control" because the government is reporting it at 2-3%. This while they're filling their tanks with $3.75/gal gas that was $1.85/gal a few years ago. Common sense!
    Feb 26 10:36 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lululemon Vs. Under Armour: Which One Is On Sale? [View article]
    How many men out there plan on showing up at the gym next year sporting Lululemon garb? Anyone?

I'm not being sexist. I just don't see it. I think UA has a much broader appeal to different market segments.
    Dec 18 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment