Doug McHugh

View Doug McHugh's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Is Windows 8 A Microsoft Buying Opportunity? [View article]
    "No matter how much we love to hate Windows, it is still ingrained in our daily lives."

I think MSFT and the PC world have overplayed this hand. My personal experience is that PC hardware and software, although much more capable, are much less reliable than they were 10 years ago. Unacceptable. I'm going to give a Mac a spin the next time around.

I don't know one person who's tired of their Mac and planning a switch to PCs.

Long AAPL.
    Mar 22 09:43 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Ryan, I agree. I wonder how many people think inflation is "under control" because the government is reporting it at 2-3%. This while they're filling their tanks with $3.75/gal gas that was $1.85/gal a few years ago. Common sense!
    Feb 26 10:36 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Stocks To Buy, 1 Stock To Sell, Weekly Outlook For Market [View article]
    It's time for Tim Cook to share at least a part of his secret plan for 2013. Because increasingly, the market is believing he doesn't have one.

Long AAPL.
    Mar 4 10:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks, Rob. You've probably seen the recent support around 155. I think the next catalyst will be earnings in May.
    Mar 23 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    Thanks for your comment, Phil. I agree with your assessment of UA's strong brand.
    In the short run, having a product that's new and exciting will get you far. In the long run, quality and value take the front seat.
    Mar 13 01:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lululemon Vs. Under Armour: Which One Is On Sale? [View article]
    How many men out there plan on showing up at the gym next year sporting Lululemon garb? Anyone?

I'm not being sexist. I just don't see it. I think UA has a much broader appeal to different market segments.
    Dec 18 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Office 2013 Will Solidify Microsoft's Top Position [View article]
    Although I suppose it's inevitable, I don't see the cloud-based product as a boon for consumers. Right now, I buy an Office upgrade when I want to - maybe each time, or every other time, that I buy a new computer. (Often there's a "bundle deal" involved.) I don't mind the thought of not having my own copy of Office on my own CD, but I do mind the thought of sending money to Microsoft every month for the rest of my life, if I want to keep using the Excel spreadsheet I built 10 years ago. And how will these cloud access rates be determined? What if Microsoft feels like doubling them every now and then?

I understand that cloud computing facilitates inter-device functions, but as a consumer I don't like the trade-off.
    Aug 23 09:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bullish Look At McDonald's Through Cattle Prices [View article]
    Brad, I like your article but I'm not clear on something. Isn't the price of beef an input cost to MCD? And as such, doesn't an increase in beef prices increase their Cost of Goods, and therefore squeeze their profit margins?

Or are you saying that they'll be able to bump up the price of their burgers to more than compensate for the higher prices they will pay for beef to make those burgers?
    Mar 21 11:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Fear Europe - Buy The GM Juggernaut [View article]
    I don't recall the government bailing out any airlines, and they're still around, albeit consolidated. And much leaner.

That's the market at work.
    Mar 2 09:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Apple Will Succeed Without Steve Jobs [View article]
    Despite a recent stall, AAPL is still on an upward trajectory, with a very reasonable P/E for a growth stock. Hard to get excited about MSFT, trading in the same range as it was 13 yrs ago - before the dot com bubble (talk about no vision!). SJ was one of a kind, but I'm more optimistic about AAPLs future.
    Oct 10 10:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, Phil.
    Apr 25 08:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's For Fast Food, Not Fast Growth [View article]
    Mking30, you already understand the basic mechanics of a split, and there really isn't much more to it. Sometimes companies split to encourage trading activity - people (for no logical reason) have an easier time buying 100 shares for $50 each than buying 50 shares for $100 each. Also, a split is generally viewed as a bullish signal that the directors expect the stock to go up in the near term. But in the end, as you state, it really doesn't matter with regard to the value of what you are holding or buying. It's mostly about perceptions.
    Apr 16 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's For Fast Food, Not Fast Growth [View article]
    No....I haven't heard that.
    Apr 16 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, scchan. I think your point is that entry into the restaurant industry is relatively easy. My point in the article is that getting into the Panera Bread franchise business, as compared to getting into some other franchises, is relatively difficult.
    Mar 26 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread's Dough Is Rising [View article]
    Thanks, QTR. I can't disagree with "cheeky." Happy trading.
    Mar 23 01:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment