Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Realty Income: Pragmatism Trumps Dogmatism [View article]
    Good point, no reason to buy a rumor. I mean that. Capital is precious.

Doug
    Jan 24, 2015. 07:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income: Pragmatism Trumps Dogmatism [View article]
    Nathan, the rumors are swirling about O now.
    Jan 24, 2015. 03:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income: Pragmatism Trumps Dogmatism [View article]
    DVK,

I thought that was a good from the broker as well, it very reasonable to think about rates and the effects they have on your investments, or might have.

Polecat, be sure your broker knows your goals well, perhaps even in writing, as pressure to change can occur after you are not able to drive the goals. A great example of an investment plan in writing can be found by following Bob Wells here on Seeking Alpha. Change occurs in life, often unexpectedly.

The other thing I say to encourage you is that companies that are well run and have integrity will find ways to reward shareholders in time. Realty is one of those companies, they have the cost of capital in the right place and when the right merger/deal/buyout shows up, these guys will do the right thing and grow. They might plod along and become very bond like, but in time an opportunity will present itself and shareholders will benefit greatly.

Stay the course, buy quality, and then stay the course.

Doug
    Jan 24, 2015. 03:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income: Pragmatism Trumps Dogmatism [View article]
    Growth is what differentiates a REIT from a bond, the better the growth the less bond-proxy. Conversely, the lower the growth, the more bond like, the market will punish slow growth REIT's when the media and sentiment on rates change. I don't know that any real FFO will be lost, but that will not stop the selling. It creates an argument between buy-and-hold investors and more pragmatic sellers/trimmers.

Doug
    Jan 24, 2015. 09:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income: Pragmatism Trumps Dogmatism [View article]
    Adam,

Nicely done here. Thanks for spending your time on this. Pragmatic is best. My interest rate thesis is was leaning toward a change in the rate environment (this includes media participation) to the increasing side. Now with QE in full bloom in Europe I don't know that the Fed will want to overly support the US dollar. Bringing me back to my normal state of not knowing where the interest rates are heading but still taking the position that we have pressure coming in that area.

Long O, trimming, and holding.

Where to go with proceeds? I have been adding PSX, PAA, KMI, STWD and cash.

Thanks again,

regards,

Doug
    Jan 23, 2015. 08:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Just Got Another Raise: Thanks Realty Income [View article]
    Rick Co, always ask, always

ZIRP - Zero Interest Rate Policy
    Jan 22, 2015. 08:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Holly Energy declares $0.53 dividend [View news story]
    These guys have not failed me for something like 12 years, every quarter..... an increase.
    Jan 22, 2015. 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Just Got Another Raise: Thanks Realty Income [View article]
    DJ, be patient. Unless you are spending capital down in the place of the income it could earn, it's a good time to relax if your in cash, hold REIT allocations till the rate markets get sorted out.

I will say this, I don't think the FED will want to over support the US dollar, so while the ECB is printing money it could put pressure on the the US FED to hold the inter bank rates low, and push the auction coverage up, keeping the Treasury rates low as well. NO need to make the dollar even stronger right now with higher rates. It's a lot to think about, especially with higher yielding investments.

Doug
    Jan 22, 2015. 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Just Got Another Raise: Thanks Realty Income [View article]
    Med, well worth the $99 per year. I mean a real bargain for research in this space. Wow! Brad's annual subscription is very well done.

However..... please look closely at VTR if you want to see another rock solid REIT.
    Jan 22, 2015. 05:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Just Got Another Raise: Thanks Realty Income [View article]
    sah1k,

I filled up on Whole Foods as well, I don't get that perfect bottom price in very often but on that one I hit it just right. Happy clients, WFM remains a small allocation because most of my clients have higher income goals, with moderate growth goals, but I got the WFM trade perfect!!!

I hope I got the bottom in PSX last week too, been adding all along but filled it all the way up on that spike down.

Doug
    Jan 22, 2015. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Just Got Another Raise: Thanks Realty Income [View article]
    Thanks Brad, Long O here. Not adding now, but enjoying the dividends and resting very comfortably having Realty be a part of many dividend income plans over here.

great read,

Doug
    Jan 22, 2015. 08:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income Corp: Why Now's A Good Time To Sell [View article]
    Ron, I'm on board with these guys. VTR, O and OHI are big over here. To get exciting I have some CSG and STAG too, REIT's are fully priced right now, could they go higher? yes, but I think there is a better chance of lower prices over the next 6 months.

but O, VTR and OHI are the only REIT's that hold full allocations over here, rick solid, WPC and NNN are well run operations too, but I do not hold them, probably should.

Doug
    Jan 18, 2015. 04:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income Corp: Why Now's A Good Time To Sell [View article]
    dj, good point. Politics can matter, I do worry that rates will be in the news by summer. If the rates are raised the market reaction will have absolutely ZERO to do with the actual number or the actual change/effect to FFO from any REIT. The reaction will to be sell them all, I seriously doubt that any real amount of dollars of FFO was lost due to the tapper tantrum, but it was a very real market reaction, and that is a good road map for the next media driven interest rate anomaly.

I'm going to contemplate politics and the Fed. I do still have and plan to hold a big solid group of positions in O, Realty is vital to the income models I have in place, the stability with them is worth some choppy markets and premium, where prudent, I did make some changes in line with the authors views.

regards,

Doug
    Jan 17, 2015. 09:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Will Beat The S&P 500 In 2015 [View article]
    Mr. Cho, good read here. Thanks for sharing your work, Intel is getting it done. I trust them and it's hard to argue against that massive R&D netting them a lead over many years. Your work is appreciated.

Does anybody here have any thoughts about ARM getting some traction in the MacBook line?

Doug
    Jan 17, 2015. 09:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income Corp: Why Now's A Good Time To Sell [View article]
    I re-allocated some O this week, I had a few spots where it was a little overweight to start with and had become as much as 12% in a few accounts. I fixed that and was happy about the trade. I picked up some PSX and STWD in it's place, blended dividend about the same.

I was going to start cutting into my Con Ed positions and then they announced the 3.6% increase in the dividends, dividend growth keeps speeding up for them that's another tough call right now too.

Good read here Casey. Thanks for taking time to share your work.

Doug