Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Prospect Capital's Dividend And Net Asset Value Sustainability Analysis (Post Fiscal Q2 2014 Earnings) - Part 2 [View article]
    Well done, thanks for taking time to put this together. This is a valuable work.
    Apr 7 08:26 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China announces mini-stimulus to keep economy on even keel [View news story]
    Michael, I agree. I think your thoughts about this are important and wanted to say thanks for commenting. China has a long history of this happening in terms of foreign involvement.
    Apr 3 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American States Water Company Announces Share Repurchase Program [View article]
    DS, that facilities group has done well. I got into these guys two years ago big time because the profits were starting to come in from those long term contracts. I did not expect to move this far from capital gains, and the shocking dividend history makes me more comfortable. I have been close to selling them a few times, but churning accounts is just not something I do very often.
    Mar 31 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rising Risks For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Eric, this was a nice work. I hope I was complimentary enough, I think this is an important read so people can understand the price action. So many investors with so many different needs, but price needs to be understood as well as possible and this really helps.
    Mar 29 05:52 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rising Risks For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    People are paying premiums for stable income that has a real chance to stay ahead of inflation. Price might get choppy but the income has more dependability and as long as that meets needs smart investors will keep paying premiums. It's a demographic trend. Price remains uncertain. This is a solid work up, thanks for taking time to write. It would be nice to see a dividend chart up there with the prices, that will show you what people are paying for, growing income. I personal feel that interest rates are the biggest threat to upsetting this trend.

great read, Mr. Parnell.
    Mar 28 07:06 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Safety, Stability And High Income For The Retired Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I think that some return of capital can be generated by profits from options.
    Mar 28 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    locutus, I'm sure it has been mentioned in this long comment stream, but many investors would face taxes at the selling of a long held stock like JNJ. Those taxes can be retained in the stock price and used to earn income. Selling can be a big problem in non-tax sheltered accounts. One of the great things about getting a lower yield from a stock like JNJ is that (if you can afford that lower yield) you get to retain the growth and at lower risk, this is a concept often lost on 401k (the real construct of the financial service industry) and IRA holders.
    Mar 28 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Long AWR, been long, staying long.
    Mar 27 06:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Drive-Thru Dividend Growth Investing: Yay Or Nay? [View article]
    Morgan, I have a fair value study at $58 on enterprise value and $60 on cash flow, but I might have those back wards. I think a static study does not reveal the growth premium, the more certain the 10-15% growth is - the more of those future earnings are in the current price. So if you have two years at 15% here then that EPS starts to look like $2.40-2.60 (maybe more). Which means to means todays price - with two year future earnings) is almost totally justified by the long term PE ratio (10yr ratio at 27). So when buying growth, you just have to have some certainty that the next several years will hold up. We will see about SBUX and Whole Foods (my other under cover growth-DGI stock).
    Mar 23 07:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Drive-Thru Dividend Growth Investing: Yay Or Nay? [View article]
    I agree on the junk in all this junk food. we do still have Chipotle, if you want to see what people will wait for to get good fast food, go to a Chipotle anywhere in Dallas at lunch. Wild ride in that stock, but great, I mean Great fast food.
    Mar 23 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Dividend Stocks To Add As Cornerstones [View article]
    Nice work, thanks for taking time to write. I think you covered Altria in about the same way that many people see them. I agree to your great point about the government regulation and involvement not effecting the shareholders at this point. I will throw in that MO has a growth industry on there hands with e-cigs. I see them everywhere. Lorillard is ahead of the e-cig game but MO will catch up. Long ED, MO and MSFT (one of our biggest holdings).
    Mar 23 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Drive-Thru Dividend Growth Investing: Yay Or Nay? [View article]
    When SBUX was at $66 I told myself and a few clients that I wanted a pull back to $60 to start adding it in steps. I totally missed it, I always re-learn that buying growth is a different art than value investing, at times these can be the same investing activity but often it's just different. I have extended the risk tolerance in longer term portfolios needing growth, this has had me adding SBUX on dips.

As for the experience, I do get my daily 'grande drip' but it's more than that. SBUX seems more in tune with food trends than these others. Plus before long SBUX could be a food company to go along with a drive through. Premium fruit drinks, yogurt, the new pastries (the bought the company), and please do NOT under estimate where this Tea Bar (Teavanna) idea can go. Teabucks? People drink tons of tea, think of Asia. Do some interesting reading about premium branding and what the growing middle class in China think about quality. The Haagen Dazs stores in China are very interesting for General Mills, Teavanna or Tea Bars could do well, very well. For junk food, go with McDonalds, they understand the market better. In Plano TX (where I live) they have the most consistent of all fast food traffic flows, I know this because there is a McDonalds right across from my Starbucks! ha!

Great MM, I always click on your stuff.
    Mar 23 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    I have been looking over WFC trying to get comfortable, I don't know that I can. It's hard to know what kind of back end exposure they have in the credit markets, derivatives, trading desk stuff (think JPM's London Whale issue), litigation risk, political risk and such, all the same things other companies have but it seems the financial sector can implode every so often. AFL is a good company, I agree they are undervalued and I can only imagine that is the Japanese Yen discount. I'm a sucker for valuation as well, I think that is where all this MSFT stock came from, and dang WFC does looks good right now.

Thanks for the time you spend here, it's appreciated.
    Mar 21 09:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    Great read Mr. C, thanks for spending the time to write. I have stayed away from financials. I stayed away in 2008/9 and now. I have always felt that the reporting from the financials does not allow for proper pricing of the risk. I admit that I can't look at JPM and know how much risk an investment would have. I have felt at a loss to properly evaluate these big financial companies, thus I do not hold any of them. Now that last list of Dividend Champs is another matter, I have a bunch of them and always have had.
    Mar 21 08:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vanguard Natural Resources: Dividend Hikes Are Always Welcomed [View article]
    Bill in SD,

I have enjoyed holding VNR for years, for myself and clients, other monthly solid stuff has been BTE and PBA (Canadian). Not the same as an MLP at all but monthly payouts and historically stable. On the REIT side if you want monthly, look at Realty Income (O), a good one, or ARCP. To extend the risk to a higher point for some more monthly payouts look at PSEC and MAIN. Understanding the businesses and your risk tolerance is important.

And Mr. Alfonso, great read. Thanks for taking time to write.
    Mar 18 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment