Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Caution At Times Of Elevated Price Risk [View article]
    v,

I try to keep a position under 5%, so you seem great at 4%. MMM is so rock solid that it deserves full (or more allocation). MMM can pull back in a market correction so prices today are not indicating large returns from this point forward a few years. But as discussed, the dividend is part of another plan it's growing and safe. I have talked to a few people at MMM, and I have not heard anything about a split, the stock purchase plan is strong and they seem to have the stance to reduce outstanding shares right now. But splits happen all the time, MMM has historically split at these levels. I just do not have any information on that. I have always been very neutral on stock splits.

thanks for commenting,

May 26, 2015. 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Par,

You will get there, keep saving, live below your means and enjoy a life where you are in charge of your money, not the other way around. Thanks for getting in the discussion.

May 26, 2015. 11:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jkelley,

Go read Kurtis Hemmerling's new article, wow! He's a solid analyst, you'll enjoy that read. And thanks for stopping by, much appreciated.

May 26, 2015. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High-Quality Dividend Growth Ranking System For 'Buy And Hold' Investors [View article]
    Kurtis,

Great work. Value screening is a big and important part of planing a Dividend Growth Portfolio. This is a rockstar article to me. Thanks for taking time, it is a little like "preaching to the choir" here. I think it's good follow up on the rigorous work you have published in the past, with a positive spin. It makes your work seem more balanced, but I appreciate your view points and your insistence on data and facts merging. You're still the only guy I'm following, ha!

regards, and thanks again.

May 26, 2015. 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bill,

I'm writing cash secured puts against MMM at about $145, it's variable, and with taxes it's not quite a yield replacement, but it's better than the cash sitting around. Options are certainly not for everyone, but I trie to stay structured and "on plan". I have loved every share of MMM that we hold, ha! just need more.

Thanks for stopping by,

May 26, 2015. 09:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Way To 'Buy The Dip' For Income Investors [View article]
    Great read here. We have added a cash secured put option strategy as well, I'm holding put options on FAST, ha! nice idea. My goal is simple yield replacement on stocks that I plan to hold in investors account at better price points. MMM, ABC, DIS, WFM, FAST, AAPL and others, this is the best way I could come up with to use this cash right now. My options have a slightly higher margin of safety (larger strike gaps), and are running in the 90 day range, some less, some more.

Most of these options have the intent to own, as these accounts are all designated to be 100% equity in time and then to be mostly long term holdings.

nice work,

May 23, 2015. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattel Is Threatened By Hasbro And Disney [View article]
    CT,

good points, things will change in time for sure. And I would disagree that DIS does not mean bank, they do indeed mean bank as the movie franchises and stories that they are telling are leading into major toy sales and profits via the licensing agreements. In fact DIS is one of the major influences in toys right now. DIS is not the only bank around, but they do indeed mean bank. HAS has moved closer to DIS and thus assured they will be the prime participants in the on-going Marvel work, Disney children's/princes items (not just Frozen, others will come) and Star Wars is going to be a huge deal, the have the right director. It's a sure thing, it just is, I mean look how good the Star Trek re-do under JJ Abrams was, and this is a big leap ahead of that. I don't know how to convince anybody about that because it's total opinion for sure, ha!

Now yes I do own HAS (a substantial amount) and I do not own MAT. Banking on the multiple streams of licensing with DIS is a great investment thesis. My cost basis in HAS is pretty low based on all those investment thesis together. But you are 100% correct, it not about Frozen, at some time Frozen will not matter but HAS has been getting these things right, it's reasonable to assume they will keep getting them right. I'm holding and adding to HAS positions on pull backs while the tail winds mount.

Suicide Squad would be a great name to change to something more positive, great informative details there thanks. When Task Force X produces the top grossing films of all history and toys to back that up (under MAT direction) we can discuss the Avengers title, not great for sure but good enough to make a few billion in ticket sales. But what is MAT going to do to move into the space that HAS and DIS have teamed up to fill? it's tough to see a way for them to match the success at HAS. But it's not 100% about competing with HAS. MAT could do well on their own, and they have enough time to get it right, but they simply have not done that yet and time is passing. The record is pretty clear and the market has spoken.

Best of luck with MAT, they have a long future ahead for sure, the level of success is uncertain based on the last few years of management direction. Good discussion.

May 22, 2015. 09:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • These 12 High Quality Dividend Stocks Match Retired Investor Needs [View article]
    I think GIS is the only big food company on trend. Getting that right these years is important. I'm worried about the cereal market over the next ten years. Food trends are important and slow moving.
    May 22, 2015. 08:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattel Is Threatened By Hasbro And Disney [View article]
    Hasbro has already won this battle and war. Marvel and Star Wars and expanded licensing with Disney. That IS the toy market for the next four years. Nobody is making this about DIS, it's about making money, who ever has the spot light right now will make the money that is DIS and HAS in this space.

Suicide Squad (bad name) and Hello Barbie (parents value the kids privacy), not good. And C. Nolan set the bar so high for Batman (DarkKnight series), that fans will not be moved by the Superman cross over. I don't see any of this over taking what are truly juggernaughts (a Marvel pun) and the market with Frozen, Star Wars, Avengers, and all of Marvel. HAS also has My Little Pony and Transformers and Monopoly et al.

nuff said
    May 22, 2015. 08:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Chris DeMuth Jr. [View article]
    B&H,

Demuth is the real thing. I agree whole heartedly that this is some of the best reading I have seen here. Mr. Demuth and Mr. Ward..... a genuine THANKS for spending this time here.

May 19, 2015. 09:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should I Have Followed My Advisor's Advice ? A Look At 4 Year Performance [View article]
    Nam, I am an Financial Advisor and this industry amazes me. No Joke. There are a group of people that should have advisors and everybody needs somebody to talk with from time to time. Seeking Alpha is good for that. You know I talk to Mr. Wells every now and then and believe me (even as an Advisor) it's good to hear from people like him (and many of the other guys here). When I do get the chance to speak with Bob he's not asking me questions, it's often me asking him or just sharing ideas and trying to be smarter together.

Regards,

May 17, 2015. 07:46 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rnsmth,

Congrats on your retirement, great job, enjoy yourself! and thanks for sharing.

Having un-restricted cash savings is very important as an adjunct to tax shelters. The ROTH's are good but for many ROTH's are not an option and lack the scale needed. I have found that early in retirement the cash or "taxable" savings are most important. I'm helping (sending him his money, encouraging him to go) a client do a scuba dive way off the cost of Indonesia, he claims it's one of the ultimate "bucket list" dives, and he needs to do it now while his health is still top notch. That dive would upset his tax brackets if he did not have the cash to fund it, and instead needed to pull it as earned income from and IRA.

All situations are different, wisdom is best at the very specific level.

regards,

May 15, 2015. 09:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Awesome Bob. Thanks for your work, very important information. As the bull market takes a breather, the focus should fall on the goals an investor sets, dividend growth investors continue to succeed even in a price-sideways market.

Regards,

May 14, 2015. 04:04 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Disappoints On NII, Surprises On NAV [View article]
    IT,

A stable growing dividend is the basis of building a dividend income. Capital losses and dividend cuts are very hard to take, in that idea. It's very important evaluate dividend growth outside of re-investment, re-investment does not create growth. In time, when you NEED the income you can rotate to less growth more income.

So many ways to do an income strategy, for me I base income models on low yielding Champs, Challengers and such, some call them Aristocrats, but I'm not constrained to lists. For every dollar invested in mREIT's and BDC's and such I have nine dollars in solid growth stocks that pay growing dividends, depending on goals some accounts have no high yielders.

Stopping the drip and investing elsewhere will still build an income stream. Equity REIT's are getting to a better value, JNJ, MO, ADM, KMB, GIS these will not fail you.

May 9, 2015. 07:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hasbro, The Growth Is In Licensing Products (And There Is More To Come) [View article]
    I was HAS when HAS was not cool. This is one of the most mis-understood stocks I have in my client accounts, I have backed up the truck for conviction buying several times over past few years. From here on in HAS is going to catch tail wind after tail wind from the Avengers/Marvel/StarWars and Frozen... - repeat repeat repeat. Not all quarterlies are going to have the DIS tailwind, but it's going to be an interesting next four years with HAS.

Long HAS, feeling extra smart about it. ha!

May 8, 2015. 09:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment