Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3M Makes Its Largest Acquisition Ever With Leading Protection Gear Producer Capital Safety [View article]
    Long MMM. One of my favorite companies, hard to ever get a bargain, but averaging in carefully. Historically a seller of quality products and solid margins, also employee centric as they can be. Rock solid. 98 years of dividends is pretty nice as well.

thanks for sharing your work.
    Jul 1, 2015. 12:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Mills to phase out artificial flavors and coloring for cereal [View news story]
    General Mills is still one of the few big food corps that is staying on trend with their product decisions. LONG GIS, sleeping well at night.
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Continues To Outperform All Other BDCs [View article]
    Long MAIN, thanks so much for your work!
    Jun 18, 2015. 10:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buy: Union Pacific Corporation [View article]
    Mike,

MSFT is doing the right things under Nadella, hard to put a price target on them. That's a bunch of cash, but it's overseas, but they keep making it, they are refreshed and staying relevant, right? I see them staying important for many years and the cloud success helps me with my "tech worry".

Railroads don't have that "tech worry", that's why I jumped in here.

Good read DM, thanks for your work.

Jun 4, 2015. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Rationale For Selecting STAG For The Long Haul [View article]
    Mike,

I love your stuff too. Thanks to you and Brad for your work.

Jun 4, 2015. 09:39 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Rationale For Selecting STAG For The Long Haul [View article]
    Brad, we are long STAG as well. Confidence is high. I will add that these warehouse units are often attached to strongly embedded manufacturing tenants, with significant investment in near by space, very stable and when you visit them on-site you get a sense of the investment levels and how stable the use of this type of space can be. I did a couple of deals in the middle of nowhere last year (still beautiful Ohio country side), plastic bottle makers, the warehouses (that were purchased as a lease back deal) were sitting next the the injection facilities. I could not over state the necessity of that warehouse space, plastic bottles take up space. All that just adds to my 'Sleep Well At Night' with STAG. Anyway, great work I'm fine with being at portfolio neutral on STAG as I have been adding and adding and adding shares. I expect to own them for years.

Jun 4, 2015. 09:38 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Phillips 66 Is An Obvious Winner For Long-Term Investors [View article]
    wild,

Smart move. I did that too, I was scooping them up under $60, crazy times those weeks. LONG PSX, many happy clients with that one.
    May 27, 2015. 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Caution At Times Of Elevated Price Risk [View article]
    v,

I try to keep a position under 5%, so you seem great at 4%. MMM is so rock solid that it deserves full (or more allocation). MMM can pull back in a market correction so prices today are not indicating large returns from this point forward a few years. But as discussed, the dividend is part of another plan it's growing and safe. I have talked to a few people at MMM, and I have not heard anything about a split, the stock purchase plan is strong and they seem to have the stance to reduce outstanding shares right now. But splits happen all the time, MMM has historically split at these levels. I just do not have any information on that. I have always been very neutral on stock splits.

thanks for commenting,

May 26, 2015. 09:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Par,

You will get there, keep saving, live below your means and enjoy a life where you are in charge of your money, not the other way around. Thanks for getting in the discussion.

May 26, 2015. 11:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jkelley,

Go read Kurtis Hemmerling's new article, wow! He's a solid analyst, you'll enjoy that read. And thanks for stopping by, much appreciated.

May 26, 2015. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High-Quality Dividend Growth Ranking System For 'Buy And Hold' Investors [View article]
    Kurtis,

Great work. Value screening is a big and important part of planing a Dividend Growth Portfolio. This is a rockstar article to me. Thanks for taking time, it is a little like "preaching to the choir" here. I think it's good follow up on the rigorous work you have published in the past, with a positive spin. It makes your work seem more balanced, but I appreciate your view points and your insistence on data and facts merging. You're still the only guy I'm following, ha!

regards, and thanks again.

May 26, 2015. 10:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bill,

I'm writing cash secured puts against MMM at about $145, it's variable, and with taxes it's not quite a yield replacement, but it's better than the cash sitting around. Options are certainly not for everyone, but I trie to stay structured and "on plan". I have loved every share of MMM that we hold, ha! just need more.

Thanks for stopping by,

May 26, 2015. 09:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Way To 'Buy The Dip' For Income Investors [View article]
    Great read here. We have added a cash secured put option strategy as well, I'm holding put options on FAST, ha! nice idea. My goal is simple yield replacement on stocks that I plan to hold in investors account at better price points. MMM, ABC, DIS, WFM, FAST, AAPL and others, this is the best way I could come up with to use this cash right now. My options have a slightly higher margin of safety (larger strike gaps), and are running in the 90 day range, some less, some more.

Most of these options have the intent to own, as these accounts are all designated to be 100% equity in time and then to be mostly long term holdings.

nice work,

May 23, 2015. 04:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattel Is Threatened By Hasbro And Disney [View article]
    CT,

good points, things will change in time for sure. And I would disagree that DIS does not mean bank, they do indeed mean bank as the movie franchises and stories that they are telling are leading into major toy sales and profits via the licensing agreements. In fact DIS is one of the major influences in toys right now. DIS is not the only bank around, but they do indeed mean bank. HAS has moved closer to DIS and thus assured they will be the prime participants in the on-going Marvel work, Disney children's/princes items (not just Frozen, others will come) and Star Wars is going to be a huge deal, the have the right director. It's a sure thing, it just is, I mean look how good the Star Trek re-do under JJ Abrams was, and this is a big leap ahead of that. I don't know how to convince anybody about that because it's total opinion for sure, ha!

Now yes I do own HAS (a substantial amount) and I do not own MAT. Banking on the multiple streams of licensing with DIS is a great investment thesis. My cost basis in HAS is pretty low based on all those investment thesis together. But you are 100% correct, it not about Frozen, at some time Frozen will not matter but HAS has been getting these things right, it's reasonable to assume they will keep getting them right. I'm holding and adding to HAS positions on pull backs while the tail winds mount.

Suicide Squad would be a great name to change to something more positive, great informative details there thanks. When Task Force X produces the top grossing films of all history and toys to back that up (under MAT direction) we can discuss the Avengers title, not great for sure but good enough to make a few billion in ticket sales. But what is MAT going to do to move into the space that HAS and DIS have teamed up to fill? it's tough to see a way for them to match the success at HAS. But it's not 100% about competing with HAS. MAT could do well on their own, and they have enough time to get it right, but they simply have not done that yet and time is passing. The record is pretty clear and the market has spoken.

Best of luck with MAT, they have a long future ahead for sure, the level of success is uncertain based on the last few years of management direction. Good discussion.

May 22, 2015. 09:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These 12 High Quality Dividend Stocks Match Retired Investor Needs [View article]
    I think GIS is the only big food company on trend. Getting that right these years is important. I'm worried about the cereal market over the next ten years. Food trends are important and slow moving.
    May 22, 2015. 08:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment