Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Strong Q2 Results Reinforce The Bullish Outlook For Microsoft [View article]
    Sorry JD, what was the question? I did not see any information about a change in the dividend, so I'm expecting the next div in mid Feb to be $0.28.
    Jan 23 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Strong Q2 Results Reinforce The Bullish Outlook For Microsoft [View article]
    MSFT had a huge dividend increase last quarter, paid the new higher div in November. MSFT is 4% of my total client portfolio base, it's been a great couple of years holding MSFT. Some of these enterprise software gains could have been from the iOS7 app? It required a subscription to MS Office 365, right? and it was lunched in June last year. iOS7 is a widely used mobile platform, for those of you who have not heard of it, ha! Nice read Mr. Blair, Long MSFT. Keep em coming, thanks.
    Jan 23 07:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebuttal: Kinder Morgan Vs. AMLP, An MLP ETF [View article]
    Sumflow, I know you are right. I just see that these two issues are out of proportion in these discussions. The one disadvantage of KMR is simply having to sell shares, not a big deal but it does not fit well into strategies that need regular income. Income investing is gaining in popularity and many investors that I talk with are full of sell side anxiety, which brings it back to using KMP for a portion of a regular income stream. I see the difference in strategies and the lack of a K-1 IS a bonus, but the K-1 need not be feared at all. In 99% of all cases the UBTI taxes need not be feared at all and these two things are part of every discussion on SA concerning an MLP.
    Jan 22 08:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebuttal: Kinder Morgan Vs. AMLP, An MLP ETF [View article]
    It can happen, but it is so exceedingly rare and applicable in only very few positions. It is odd how often it is brought up. I get it, 990's and all that, but I looking for real world applicable information that would effect the investment decision. Look at the returns KMP has churched out in the last 10 years. There is no need to mention UBTI taxes in relation to gains like that. Now I do have more interest in the more delayed cost basis issues, but still, I'm waiting for real information that would sway any rational decision.

I totally understand not wanting to deal with a K-1, what a headache, but NOT something to fear or be used as a basis for investment decisions.

This is a real issue, not academic, but so over blown, this is a Kinder Morgan article and KMP is churning out negative UBTI, right? negative, as in below zero.
    Jan 21 09:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebuttal: Kinder Morgan Vs. AMLP, An MLP ETF [View article]
    Tom C,

If you or anybody here has actually paid UBTI or other taxes from the holding of an MLP in an IRA please email me. I'm needing information on how it happened, I see that it could happen but I'm still looking for a sequence of real life events where it happened.

Best regards,

Doug
    Jan 21 04:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    I think the tax is a matter of total price. In many cases the payer of a procedure like those is not the person getting the knee, it's often settled by the insurance companies (or a state plan like medicaid) and they might ask JNJ to absorb some of the added cost, and that pass around is not just for joint replacements it could result in the lost of a fraction of a point from drugs as well. Also there is the worry of delayed payments and such. They will get it worked out.
    Jan 21 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Helmrich & Payne: 5 Reasons I'm Buying The Contract Driller's Fundamentals [View article]
    I ran across HP when I was looking fleet utilization numbers, and working up some DD on Seadrill, it just happened to pull a land drilling fleet comparison chart, I and just had to look into the one company with over 90% utilization while all the others were much less. I made some calls (and emails) and heard only good stuff. Long HP.
    Jan 21 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    JNJ provided guidance to the low side of 2014 estimates. It is common for investors to sell the good news as well. Finally earnings that beat estimates have real positive price pressure only when estimates are raised or a "beat and raise". This was great news for long term dividend income investors, but for trading it was just another day in the up and down price market. I own the earnings by being a long term shareholder ( and director of many shareholder accounts) so I will be looking forward to yet another dividend increase which will be more than 50 years in a row for JNJ.
    Jan 21 11:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    People are just afraid of the market. Also, JNJ is a dividend growth company and few investors have the dividend growth idea, when your JNJ is buried deep inside a mutual fund all you know is that you lost 50% in 2008/9. So most don't know that JNJ has double the dividend since 2005, they raised it 11% in 2008 and 8% in 2009.
    Jan 21 10:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Nicely done, JNJ. Thanks! A core holding for me, staying Long JNJ.
    Jan 21 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I love it! It's tough to go through all the Hewlett Packard news to find the Helmerich stuff. Podindet, that made my day. Thanks!
    Jan 20 10:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We are long HP. One of the things that drives these numbers and the relative outperformances is the fact that these are the A/C drill rig people. HP's whole fleet is A/C and can drill deeper faster and more on target than old mechanical drive rigs. A self designed and built uniform drilling fleet has other advantages as well like labor and parts, this has been a good holding for us and we like the 16% (approximate) payout ratio. Good read Mr. Sundermann, and thanks for taking time to write.
    Jan 20 06:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3M Company: Rich, But Not Too Rich [View article]
    3M is a great company, and I enjoyed this article. Thanks Mr, Theta. The recent dividend increase and expansion of the share purchase plan seem to be adding support at a higher level to the price, we moved up buy targets and are adding 3M (in small steps) at $130. It's good to hold a company that constantly innovates and has a long record of increasing dividends and creating value and just does not compromise margins. On another note, 3M treats employees well. Long MMM, thanks for taking time to write.
    Jan 19 08:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shed Some Tiers Over Your Income Portfolio [View article]
    Mike, I'm down from an average cost basis of 62.90, some of that TGT was loaded around $64. If it dips to $58.90 I'm out of all of it. That's an 8% beating on my highest basis, much more than $100K across many accounts in total. I could still unload it for other reasons as well, now I normally don't run from a good solid DG company like TGT, but I'm not interested in holding beyond that or testing those Dec 2012 lows.
    Jan 19 12:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 13 Stocks Increasing Dividends Like A Champion [View article]
    I think the details of the rate fix ED has with New York will alow some wiggle room in 2016. Pull a Morningstat "ket ratio" screen up for ED and look at how healthy the payout ratio has gotten over the last 5-8 years. Increased dividend growth rate (still pretty low) was not a surprise, and I bet it's better next year.

ED is just nice and steady, we have had better utility Div growth in AWR and with some more risk, in CMS. But ED is steady and keeps the geo risk spread around in utilities.
    Jan 19 12:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment