Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dave Van Knapp Positions For 2014: The Best Dividend Growth Stocks Will Pay Out More This Year [View article]
    Rawn I agree that selling and churning can change results big time. My reason for commenting was that I don't think Robert has good numbers for SDY, and SDY does not fit a DG profile at all. SDY's current yield is 2.22%.
    Jan 11 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert, I'm looking at SDY's dividend history and it has been dropping. The price appreciation in the S&P has been great, but the point of DGI is to have a growing income while having a healthy participation in the market.

SDY Div per share.

2009 - $2.15
    2010 - $2.09
    2011 - $1.74
    2012 - $1.79
    2013 - $1.41

I got those numbers from Yahoo as well, I'm not seeing any dividend growth at all, just growth. Plus SDY is up only 42% from June 2, 2008 ( from $51 to $72.51) with out re-investment. So if, like you said dividend growth is the key, then I don't see your point. Dividend growth is not a metric of re-investment, it's income growth while you spend the dividends of the cost of living expenses.
    Jan 11 12:10 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    He is doing some good work for sure. I need to look a little closer at ARCC, i do have some MAIN in here somewhere. These are very small allocations and only in yield enhanced portfolios, or maximum current yield accounts.
    Jan 10 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Izz,
    My firm, Pier LLC, only does DGI. We talk to clients plan the income and income growth. Starting yield are all planned out up front. We also do targeted buying in these portfolios against a selected entry price to enhance starting yield. Time frames, risk tolerance and income needs are different for all investors. We do not use ETF's or funds of any kind.

To end my sales presentation I will say that we do not, and will never charge fees against cash or cash equivalent holdings. Cash management services are provided for all accounts at no charge as long as it can be done electronically.
    FINRA/SEC registered investment advisory firm CRD# 158377, based in Texas, serving clients nation wide.
    Jan 10 07:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Lonestar, that's why I started my company. I tried to find an advisor that could get me an efficient portfolio of DGI stocks. I could not find one. That was 10 years ago, today even more people need this, still hard to find professionals to manage DGI portfolios for people. People are still being sold annuities, sigh......
    Jan 10 07:08 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BHN,

PSEC has lot's of floating rate stuff in there, earning more interest as the rates go up. I gotta admit that I added PSEC to my FASTgraphs portfolio tool and hit the sort by total return. I was shocked to how high up PSEC is in total return over the last 7 years. I strongly suggest looking over the series of SA articles by "BDC Buzz". This guy is doing us a favor by posting his BDC work.
    Jan 10 07:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    DVK, it's has been absolutely fascinating. If you invest for growth only all you own is the price, and that is a tough way to go, sell side anxiety is very high with boomers moving into retirement. People need to read your book! Dividends seem to be a better form of compensated risk to me, I know people would argue that, but I can not go back to just owning the price, I own companies and earnings.
    Read DVK's new book!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 10 11:56 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rob(andcindy),

Many advocate re-balancing a portfolio. Please be very careful when selling a big move up, the replacement DG stock would need to have the same quality of income. Most of these DG stocks are well followed and don't just explode up to a new high. I have done some rebalancing based on big moves, I have seen some benefit to income growth, not enough to justify taxes in taxable accounts when compared to the original holdings.
    Jan 10 10:10 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Reasons for higher divs:
    Corporate cash levels are very high, cap ex is still low.
    Stock re-purchase plans are the new cap ex.
    Inflation effects input costs but many of these dividend champs can pass these inflationary costs on with brand, efficiency of scale and quality repeatable business models.
    Reason for firm prices:
    Rotation out of bond funds will support stock prices as the Fed unwinds the QE (if they unwind it).
    Historically the stock market tends to move up the year following a big move like 2013, not as much but still up.
    Just some thoughts, nobody really knows.
    Jan 10 09:58 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chris, good luck with your work, just keep putting in the time. Read David Crosetti and the other guys commenting below and read there last articles too. Dividend growth IS growth, and does not need to be an alternative to growth at all. In fact I require that growth stocks in client accounts be dividend growth stocks. An investor needs to dig deep into the quality of the dividend, I suggest you start with payout ratio and go into more from there to learn about dividends. Good luck.
    Jan 10 09:50 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DVK, nicely done. Own the income, own the business. Your points and your experience with this mirrors so many individuals right now, the conversion of retirement savings to income is a very important topic. Thanks for sharing, I agree with you 100%. I would like to add my support to your point it does take a couple of years to stop watching the markets so much. I have clients who were very much market watchers when we started several years ago. It has been a very interesting part of my practice to see these people change their thoughts concerning the markets, that first year of income growth is helpful, but after living on a budget for that year and then having the budget move up that second year DOES change them. The modeling of an income growth curve is a goal that can be met, if expectations are correct, and income has become a VERY important factor for so many people today. Great reading, thanks again.
    Jan 10 08:29 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquid Natural Gas The Future Of Energy With Chevron Leading The Charge [View article]
    I think LNG will be a strong story in 2014. I am long Chevron here in this range and paying more than I ever have for it. We will keep adding on any weakness and look forward to the increased earnings as the profits from these projects start coming in. These are not over night deals, construction has been going on for years, I think everybody expects that CVX is smart with capital investment, these LNG products are a big smart deal. Long CVX, very carefully adding shares. Thanks for a good read!
    Jan 9 08:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Might Disrupt Mobile With Intel Security Embedded Into Devices [View article]
    Long INTC. Have been long, enjoying nice gains. I was very happy to see the Intel Chip (Haswell) was well received. When I saw the MacBook Air had a 12 hr battery with the new Intel chips I doubled down, nice to see them in the MacBook Pro as well. I have not seen an anti-virus window pop up on my MacBook in 6 or 7 years, oh that's because it does not have anti-virus software........ I could not resist, sorry.

Nice read Mr. Blair, thanks for taking time to write.
    Jan 9 08:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing In 2014 [View article]
    I have to say that General Mills has done a great job getting gluten free foods out there. Chex has been an important part of our life for years now, with a celiac kid here, I have a deep appreciation for GIS and their efforts with gluten free foods, as an advisor I find it appealing that they are having success with newer food trends, tough to do for a big giant food company.
    Jan 5 10:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing In 2014 [View article]
    I'm a big General Mills guy when it comes to products for sure. Great point, I do fill up at Chevron stations when I can, too!
    Jan 5 06:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment