Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • General Mills beats by $0.03, revenue in-line [View news story]
    I'm good with this. Long GIS. The adjusted EPS was good for those interested enough to click through to the press release, these guys know how to market their products. Time to make some Gluten Free Chex Mix for the family. Nice dividend bump too!

GIS is a core holding, and going to stay that way.
    Mar 18, 2015. 07:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Helmerich & Payne: An Example Of Why Management Strategies Are Important For Investors [View article]
    Mr. Sands. Thanks for sharing your work. Great read. Long HP, core holding. Market share capture will present a strong way to outperform on the other side of the down cycle. Better rigs, good people, great company.

regards,

Mar 17, 2015. 11:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cheap Or Expensive? The One Thing About Equity Valuation That Few Talk About [View article]
    Fantastic read here, I love macro-economics. I watch year-over-year corporate earnings growth rate, the market rarely drops when market wide YoY earnings growth is accelerating. Yes that is a double positive, not just growth, but more growth. It's much the same as Mr. Hul is going over, as economic expansion.

When growth is still positive but not accelerating things are much more choppy. The market moves ahead of this trend to the down side, so watching for the choppy is about the best you can do, by the time earnings are dropping the prices are already getting hammered. How often do we go from choppy to bear? I wish I knew. Price strategies are difficult.

Great read here, well done.

Mar 17, 2015. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The REIT Dividend Delusion [View article]
    rich,

I agree, Karl provided important input. Details are important.
    Mar 16, 2015. 11:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The REIT Dividend Delusion [View article]
    Brad, you are, indeed, the 1000 gorilla, I do hope your GGR (Gorilla Growth Rate) stays high over the next decade or more!

Rubicon, I enjoyed this article, preferred's do have a way of sneaking into an income portfolio. As common equity has been bid up over the last few years it seems the advantage in current income is going preferred. I wonder if that has always been the case. I'm going to check on the preferred-common premium over time.

Great work.

Mar 16, 2015. 08:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Health Care REIT Showdown: March Madness Continues [View article]
    Long VTR, love Ventas. I do love Omega too, and the good thing about a portfolio is that I have room for the final four.

Thanks Brad, good times.

Mar 16, 2015. 08:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: This Year The Ides Of March Are On My Side [View article]
    Veni, vidi, vici.

Be well RS.

Mar 15, 2015. 08:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Home Depot's Risk/Reward Becoming More Balanced After Solid 2014 [View article]
    Home Depot is largely currency insulated, they import lower cost goods as the dollar rises, sales need little forex adjustment out side of the peso and Canadian dollar. Rising rates could strengthen the dollar, lowering input costs even more for many products they sell that are made overseas. I think Home Depot is doing a great job, and this was a great read. Thanks for sharing your work.

Long HD.

Mar 14, 2015. 12:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Has Given Dividend And Income Investors A Gift: Qualcomm [View article]
    Mr. Eassa,

Thanks for joining the discussion. I have always valued your input.

Mar 13, 2015. 07:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Has Given Dividend And Income Investors A Gift: Qualcomm [View article]
    Thanks for jumping in here RS, QCOM is solid. In tech it's hard to imagine 25 years of dividend growth but not impossible, I tend to think in terms of the tech brands like Apple. I do not own QCOM and will not be adding them at 2.4% yield in a tough business. I do think the NAND developments at INTC (with some partners) could be a solid driver for them in the next few years. I think Apple just might go with the INTC modem, Apple does use INTC chips in the MacBook line, so relationship is in place. Either way Apple benefits from better tech and competition.

This week in the accounts that needed this kind of move, I sold WFM (sad to see them go, but up big) and bought ADM.

regards,

Mar 13, 2015. 03:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Construction In The Utility Sector [View article]
    Well done and a good read, thanks. I consider that utilities have currency insulated earnings to be important as well. It has been nice to not have to think about "international" exposure from this segment. Long AWR, WTR, SO, ED, CMS and ARTNA. Note: AWR has an interesting model now with the base operating contracts and variable construction input, might not as "pure" a water utility has it has been.

regards, and thanks for sharing your work.

Mar 13, 2015. 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Selling One Dividend Aristocrat And Buying Another Makes Sense When Reaching For Income [View article]
    Bruce, I agree. As a professional asset manager I feel that planning equity income has a certainty at a level that I can offer it as a service. It's more doable than price, it needs a certainty to meet a budget. I have many clients with 20 years to go, I'm compelled to think with an open mind about the merge of income and growth. I have another set of very important clients in your position and I'm compelled to think of an income only strategy as well.

I have read your comments and I know you understand a growth component that stays ahead of inflation, that much growth is needed to maintain the income quality and certainty. It's important to keep income quality high.

I have to say your contributions to the ongoing discussion and learning around here are huge. I mean that.

Regards,

Mar 12, 2015. 05:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Will Not Raise Rates... Here's Why [View article]
    Mr. Cheer, imagine a 5% inflation rate. GDP growing 5-8% a year, tax base moving up the same, or imagine an inflation rate of 10% for a few years, that's a strong reduction in debt. Under that idea the US could afford a much higher rate on that 18T. I can't imagine the carnage it would take to get us there.

Great article, I appreciate your work and the comments here.

Mar 12, 2015. 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have passed that point in my planning and negotiating client expectations. Div Growth will be muted in many of the DG big names, not all. KO, MCD, WMT are easy examples, I expect GIS to follow. However, some good spots still exist like healthcare and industrials but balance is important. One thing I have enjoyed is a purposeful currency insulation, but that cycle will peak as well in time.

Shifting to growth is still dividend growth, it does lower yield and add beta. All us DG guys have been geniuses for several years, I'm trying to be a genius over the next few years (cycle).

highest regards,

Mar 12, 2015. 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TF,
    I have no criticism of the trade. I'm just advocating your point that it's a holistic thought process, RS is very clear of the weight to income here. This is a laser beam target hitting right were he is aiming. I'm aiming for a bunch of different people and trying to be smart about it, thinking and making fewer and fewer presumptions as the bull ages.
    Mar 12, 2015. 01:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment