Doug Meeks

View Doug Meeks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Retirement Strategy: The Apple Juggernaut Should Be In Every Retirement Portfolio Right Now [View article]
    jb, the products are the best from Apple. I'm typing this on my new MacBookAir. I paid three times what a Windows base machine would cost for this machine. After having ten PC's and switching to a Mac (that i gave to my kids when I got this one) I can tell you with a certainty that this machine was a bargain at triple the price, I would happily pay double what I paid and I'm grateful that I did not have too. The quality has made Apple what they are today. I'm at the 7 year mark with no anti-virus software and no mal-wear infiltration. Hard to even calculate the hours these Apple computers have saved me.
    Aug 3 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Long AAPL, been a great investment. Many happy clients.
    Jul 31 08:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Tale Of Unbridled Optimism [View article]
    I feel the same about my Breitling, but maybe I could put a picture of the Aerospace face on the iWatch face and it would look the same. I seriously doubt I will have to send the iWatch back to Apple every four years for a tune up, ha!

It's about getting people into the eco system not selling a single device, Apple customers keep on spending and after the first purchase, it's on to the apps and other nice high profit stuff. With these margins they can keep buying their own stock back and staying insanely flexible.
    Jun 24 10:06 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Reevaluating My Investment [View article]
    From an article in the WSJ about Cisco's experience with allowing Mac's into the employee program:

"Apple laptops spread quickly after Cisco gave employees the option to switch from Windows-based laptops. Today, one-fourth of Cisco's company-provided laptops—roughly 35,000—are Apple MacBooks. Macs cost more than PCs, a hurdle for Apple in the past. After taking into account factors like maintenance and support, Sheila Jordan, a Cisco senior vice president, said the costs end up about even over the life of the machine."

According to Cisco cost's are the same. I would add that user experience is better because guys like me have to avoid all "maintenance and support" delays and issues, the cost of being down when I need to be up is a big deal to me (and many others).

Just my own experience, this has little to do with owning the stock, I totally agree. But this is not trendy value, it's legit value. To be fair I have tons of MSFT stock as well as AAPL. Been super happy with the way MSFT has done it's business over the last 5 years. Ballmer built a fortress balance sheet.
    Jun 11 05:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Reevaluating My Investment [View article]
    I had about 10 PC laptops before switching. As an example, when I got the first mac, it had all the plugs on the side.....not something that any of the 10 PC's had before that. That's just design, and I assure you that the soft ware is of exceedingly better quality as well.

But I agree, you can't drop the stuff. How many Mac's have you had?
    Jun 11 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Reevaluating My Investment [View article]
    I just got a new laptop (MacBook Air) to replace my 7 year old MacBook that was and is still working perfectly. No viruses, no virus proofing software. Still works great, I gave it to my 8 year old daughter ( a life time Apple customer, i'm sure). Seven years, yes 7 years....you know I did not update a anti viral or map ware program even one time the whole time. Never failed me the whole time. Just needed a better cloud interface.

Satisfied? yeah. Three time the price of a PC laptop and worth double what I paid for it.

Doug
    Jun 11 02:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Reevaluating My Investment [View article]
    I think that many investors are comfortable with Apple because they have consistently high margins. Growth is important and the market works hard to price growth into a stock, but it's a the margins that give Apple massive flexibility. If value needs to be returned to shareholders that margin can be turned to meaningful share re-purchase, or growth by acquisition, or innovation, or even some of all three in Apple's case.

Now I have used lot's of computers, not a programmer here or even a power user, but dang Apple makes a great product. I have tried to use a MS Surface, really? And after about 10 PC laptops, I got my first MacBook.....there is a strong reason why people never go back. I need my machine to work, every time, everyday, year after year, I don't have time for maintenance or being down. I understand Apples margin and I'm thankful for every percentage point if it keeps the quality rolling out.

Fanboy? yeah I guess so. Long AAPL! Many happy clients that are long AAPL.
    Jun 10 08:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Heading Lower [View article]
    What about dividends? Dividends have the distinction of always being positive, while price is uncertain. Apple is doing fine, purchasing Apple stock is a value transaction, low PE, market leader, tons of cash, tons of tons of cash, quality and margins. Price is always uncertain, but I do not mind being an Apple owner, not trader.
    May 9 01:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Mostly Just An Overvalued Hardware Stock; New Catalysts Needed [View article]
    Apple is a hardware company, but not JUST a hardware company, with just iTunes and the App Store it does take away from the premise of the article to offer valuations justified by other hardware companies. But the margins matter right?
    Feb 4 08:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Long AAPL. I voted with lots of money.
    Feb 4 08:18 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And The Coming Leveling Of The Semiconductor Giants [View article]
    Great Read. Thanks for taking the time to write, nicely done.
    Jan 17 02:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2014 Prediction #2: Apple Hits $650 A Share [View article]
    2ng,
    Bret wrote an article about Apple several weeks ago, in that article he mentioned that Apple was "on fire" or "en fuego". Although "en fuego" has a slang or urban hip component to it's use, it does translate from Spanish as "on fire" according to Google.

So I agree with Mr. Jensen here that Apple is hot and we are long Apple.
    Dec 31 10:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2014 Prediction #2: Apple Hits $650 A Share [View article]
    En fuego.

I agree with you Bret, it's the ecosystem. Long AAPL.
    Dec 31 09:27 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment