Douglas Albo

View Douglas Albo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Equity CEFs: Demystifying Return Of Capital Distributions By Eaton Vance [View article]
    Hard to find the time. My articles here are really my newsletter right now! Thanks for note.
    Oct 31, 2012. 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for your comments, here and previously...
    Oct 31, 2012. 07:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The point of comparing high ROC option-income CEFs with leveraged municipal bond CEFs was to dispel the perception that the latter would hold up much better than the former during a bear market. Certainly, individual muni bonds and muni bond mutual funds & ETFs would, but not necessarily more risky muni bond CEFs.

Then consider that most of the 12%-15% yields offered by option-income CEFs during this time period was "tax-free" ROC compared to say, 6%-7% yielding tax-free municipal bond CEFs and you can see that the tax-equivalent total returns were far better for the defensive option-income funds during this period.

Thanks for correcting the total return performance of ETB rather than its parent company, EV.
    Oct 30, 2012. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I generally don't include MLPs and REITs in my analysis for the reasons you give. Tough enough trying to keep track of the ones I already follow!
    Oct 30, 2012. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There's not many option-income funds that have outperformed ETB either on a total return market price basis and especially on a total return NAV basis, particularly considering how defensive it is. However, for an up market, leveraged option-income funds like INB and DPO will outperform.
    Oct 30, 2012. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. You always keep me in check and I appreciate that. I suppose if everyone knew as much about ROC and CEFs as you and I did, then I wouldn't have to keep emphasizing the same points over and over again but I believe a lot of investors still don't understand the basics of CEFs, let alone more complex issues. How many investors do you think buy a CEF thinking that it's an ETF w/ the assumption that it has no other basis of valuation other than it's market price? For most individual investors and even brokers, I think the percentage is still pretty high.

The only fund family that I know of that puts out their option overlay each month is for Nuveen's JSN, JLA, JPZ & JPG but that's because its the same % each month. They just adjust the in-the-money vs out-of-the-money based on where the market is each rotation.

I own all the Eaton Vance CEFs, including their leveraged ones, except for ETJ. ETJ has no upside in an up market and its NAV total return is only 2% YTD. Surprisingly, EXG now has the best YTD NAV performance up about 11%, but as I've said in past articles, EXG is the most risky while ETJ has the least upside and downside. The question is can it continue to pay a 9.5% NAV yield w/ that limited up or downside? I'm not sure it can.
    Oct 30, 2012. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The High Cost Of High Distributions, Part II [View article]
    Not an easy answer since a lot of it will have to do with the market environment. A strong ramp-up market favors the leveraged funds and my favorites w/ above average yields and strong NAV performance are CHW, UTF & EVT though they tend to be more volatile and its best to buy on weakness. A flat to even slightly down market favors the option-income funds and ETV, JLA & ETW have very generous yields and are very defensive. Other option-income funds with a bit more NAV umph for an up market and have above average yields include INB & EXG. Of these funds, only ETV and JLA are pure US stock based. The others are global (US and Intl) so it will also depend on how the US vs. the International markets perform.
    Oct 19, 2012. 09:10 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The High Cost Of High Distributions, Part II [View article]
    Thank you. Good to hear my articles are making a difference. Didn't always seem that way!
    Oct 19, 2012. 08:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The High Cost Of High Distributions, Part II [View article]
    Used to be 1,000%.
    Oct 18, 2012. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The High Cost Of High Distributions, Part II [View article]
    Well, if you're happy with what you are receiving on your investment then congratulations.
    Oct 18, 2012. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The High Cost Of High Distributions, Part II [View article]
    Thank you...
    Oct 18, 2012. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: YTD Top Performers Through 3rd Quarter 2012 [View article]
    Morningstar and I are in agreement on the vast majority of equity CEFs but not on the Eaton Vance option funds. Their favorite for years was ETJ, which is the only one I didn't like! Part of Morningstar's problem is that they run CEFs through the same old analysis models as they do mutual funds and sometimes the results don't come out they way they should. CEFs can be a bit more complex than that. So yes, their size and traditional methodology can hurt their analysis on CEFs I believe.

And you're right...the #'s don't lie, however distribution cuts and ROC can be net/net positives when your analysis points that direction. But even then, all those statistics are secondary to what should matter most to investors...how has the fund performed? Would you agree then that the most important number is total return market performance?

And if that's the case, then please go over my articles and see how I have done. Take the date of the article, my picks and/or pans from the article and run them through a total return chart like from http://ycharts.com

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty confident that the vast majority of my picks and pans on equity CEFs would have worked out pretty well for investors and that should be the final say on the quality of my research.
    Oct 5, 2012. 03:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: YTD Top Performers Through 3rd Quarter 2012 [View article]
    M* actually has EXG as a 4-star fund based on its benchmark performance though Cara Esser has not been very kind to any of the Eaton Vance funds (nor has she been very right). I don't want to appear cocky, but my research has been far superior. M* downgraded one of my favorite equity CEFs, UTF, to a 1-star fund a week before it went ex-dividend because they have it categorized as a utility fund! I'll let you decide whether you think that was very smart or not.
    Oct 4, 2012. 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: YTD Top Performers Through 3rd Quarter 2012 [View article]
    I would take a pass on IGD. NAV performance has been underwhelming so far this year.
    Oct 3, 2012. 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: YTD Top Performers Through 3rd Quarter 2012 [View article]
    Well, of course I like EXG. GPM is starting to look attractive again but I would wait on it. I think the market is going to give you better opportunities later in October.
    Oct 3, 2012. 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment