Douglas Albo

View Douglas Albo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Equity CEFs: ING Funds Get Axed Again [View article]
    Would you buy a mutual fund composed of mutual funds? You probably wouldn't need THAT much diversification and you certainly wouldn't want to pay 2-layers of management fees.
    Sep 22 11:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: ING Funds Get Axed Again [View article]
    Don't own EXG any more. ETY is a better alternative right now, better NAV performance simply because it has a larger US exposure and also because its at a wider discount. ETB is the most volatile and is good to pick up on weakness because it always seems to bounce back. EOI and EOS have had great years & I own both. ETV has been a bit disappointing at the NAV level but its very defensive and I still hold a large position.
    Sep 16 09:06 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: ING Funds Get Axed Again [View article]
    Yep. At some point, GNT/GGN will have to cut again though the funds rely on gold prices and any spike up would more than offset that in the minds of investors. I would certainly never buy these funds at a premium when you could buy the GLD ETF and sell your own call options against it.
    Sep 16 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: A Legg Mason Fund At A Double Digit Discount Outperforming The S&P 500 [View article]
    I think you guys place way too much emphasis on UNII. If a fund is growing its NAV, everything else is secondary. CEF Connect calculates its UNII info straight from each fund's latest annual, semi-annual or quarterly report and one period calculation can be totally different than the next.

In the case of SCD, they used an accounting method which resulted in a $4.068 million loss for the latest semi-annual report ending May 31, 2013 (the fund has ALOT of loss carry forward from years past during the financial crisis that they can use). However, in that same report, SCD actually had a $40,225,000 increase in net assets over that same 6-month period which INCLUDES $10,070,000 paid out in distributions.

We'll see what the annual report says next but I wouldn't worry about a negative UNII for SCD. If anything, SCD might be able to raise its distribution again.
    Sep 15 11:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eaton Vance Faces Stiff Headwinds [View article]
    Actually, most of the Eaton Vance equity CEFs have significantly outperformed over the past couple years compared to BlackRock, ING, Nuveen and most other fund families. I should know, I follow all of them very closely.
    Sep 9 09:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: The Most Undervalued And Overvalued Funds - 6 Months Later [View article]
    I think ETB is great here. Its probably the most volatile of the EV option-income CEFs at market price due to its smaller size but historically, it has had one of the best NAV total return performances. And yes, its NAV is very defensive, more so than EOI, EOS, EXG or ETY. The only negative is that it trades at the narrowest discount of all the EV funds.
    Sep 4 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: Time To Step Up To The BlackRock Option-Income Funds [View article]
    Yes, I only disclose funds mentioned in the article, long or short. And I don't really have a source where you can see all of my positions. Only my clients get to see that!
    Sep 3 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Really for new money. I might swap some EXG to buy BOE but I wouldn't swap EOI or EOS to buy CII. Like I said in the article, the Eaton Vance funds have a lot of overlap so you might want to diversify a bit if you are heavily weighted in their funds.
    Sep 3 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Well, these are option-income funds. They depend mostly on option-premium but also to a degree on portfolio dividends and interest. If the markets go up, then yes, option-income funds depend mostly on unrealized portfolio appreciation. If the markets go down, they depend on the option premium.
    Sep 3 05:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There's big difference between ROC and destructive ROC.

Say a fund which paid a 10% annual yield held only one stock in its portfolio. Say it was a tech stock and had no dividend. Not very prudent but lets say the manager also partially hedged the fund's downside by buying a leap put option 1-year out.

Let's say after 1-year, the stock was up 50% and the put option expired worthless. How would the 10% yield the fund paid be classified? It would all be ROC because the fund only showed a realized loss for the year despite the 50% appreciation of the one position.
    Sep 3 04:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You should always trust Yahoo! Finance! ;-)

For CII

For BOE

Sep 3 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rodney Dangerfield Of Closed-End Funds [View article]
    Got caught with my pants down on HTD. Their diversified income sector focus of utilities, financials and preferreds have gotten hit hard, particularly in just the past week. Then throw in the leverage.

I agree this should be a good entry point for HTD, particularly if the interest rate spike alleviates, which I think it will since in don't think the US economy is on solid ground at all. The other positive for HTD is that I have found that diversified funds which have outperformed historically, and none come close to HTD's NAV, will outperform in the future. I'm not talking about sector or country specific funds, I'm talking about diversified funds.

The real debacle is in the muni bond CEF space. I have not seen a sector implode this badly since the financial crisis.
    Aug 16 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I noticed the mistake after I published. Honestly didn't think anyone would pick it up!
    Aug 7 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: A BlackRock Energy Sector Fund That Gets No Respect [View article]
    UNII is not really applicable to option-income funds. UNII (and NII) is only based on net income from portfolio dividends/interest, which is not what most option-income funds depend on obviously. Sometimes NII doesn't even cover management fees in option-income funds.
    Jul 28 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm guessing you're looking just at the market price of BGR and not the NAV. The NAV performance of a fund is the true comparable to its benchmark whereas the market price performance is based more on investor sentiment and market volatility. I therefore give the market price of a fund very little credibility since I have seen the worst funds trade at the highest premiums and often the best funds trade at the widest discounts. Yes, this can go on for awhile and some funds stay at perpetually wide discounts but in my experience with CEFs, many funds will actually go through premium/discount cycles. Imagine if BGR cut its discount to -2% or even a slight premium like it has done in the past. A distribution increase could spur such a move.
    Jul 28 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment