Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:

• Rio Tinto's Q3 iron ore output jumps 12%, on track for full-year guidance [View news story]
    Sure the annual run rate is 396M but Rio is sticking to guidance of 340M. Here is my take: Why Rio Tinto's Latest Production Report Failed to Excite the Market:
    Oct 17, 2015. 01:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Dollar Pressured As Rate Hikes Push Out Toward Neverland [View article]
    Just so I am clear - with risks going parabolic, are you anticipating the dollar to run-up alongside? If very few believe the dollar has peaked, who is left to buy dollars? Or have these beliefs yet to convert into dollar-buying?
    Oct 16, 2015. 10:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glencore's Correlation With Market Sentiment And An End To The Collapse In Commodities [View article]
    Thanks for reading!
    Oct 15, 2015. 12:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rio Tinto CEO Walsh says not interested in acquiring Glencore [View news story]
    Glad to hear Walsh is showing some restraint. Besides, he knows that Glencore is likely going a lot lower along with commodity prices. Investors will likely demand a lot more than the current $10B clean-up before this is done.
    Oct 13, 2015. 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rapid7 buying machine data search software firm, challenges Splunk [View news story]
    Fascinating development!
    Oct 13, 2015. 06:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Peter Boockvar's Contrarian Play: Sell U.S. Stocks, Buy Commodities And Emerging Markets [View article]
    Agreed. Made no sense. Glad I am not the only one. Even more strange is the casual assessment that the low % of stocks trading above their respective 200DMAs is the sign of an unhealthy market. When this happened in 2011, it was a buying signal, not a sell signal. The last time it was a sell signal was 2008 but the strategist doesn't think we are in a 2008 scenario... These kinds of indicators are really oscillators - so when they are low, it is time to consider the bullish case, when they are high, it is time to consider he bearish case...
    Oct 11, 2015. 12:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rio, BHP up sharply as Morgan Stanley turns bullish on miners [View news story]
    Thanks for the link by the way!
    Oct 7, 2015. 11:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am wondering the same thing. Feels more like a desire to stand out from the crowd. There is nothing positive over the horizon for commodities except for sharp bouts of short-covering and rushes to speculate on fiscal and/or monetary the current phase.
    Oct 7, 2015. 11:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank Of Japan Maintains Stimulus Levels Even As Inflation Sits Well Below Target [View article]
    Nice analogy!
    Oct 7, 2015. 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tensions Between The Fed And Market Expectations Should Keep The U.S. Dollar In Trading Range Limbo [View article]
    Yes - I have argued that the Fed is forced to listen to the market. The best it can do is try to convince the market of one reality or another.
    Oct 5, 2015. 11:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Will Cord Cutters Cut Disney's Growth Potential? [View article]
    The $11/month is for Hulu. We essentially replaced the cable subscription with a Hulu subscription. I was astounded to find the amount of programming there. I watch it now a lot more than Netflix which somehow rarely seems to have the specific movie I am looking for (again, it has been GREAT for the kids).

I should have also mentioned that the cable cost I quoted was all-inclusive (taxes and DVR leasing fees) and was for a "somewhat" premium package that allowed me to watch the NFL Network (I'll miss it, but it isn't worth keeping cable for it!) The cable programming fee goes down to as low as $20 for just the basic broadcast channels. That option still pales in comparison to Hulu.
    Oct 2, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Will Cord Cutters Cut Disney's Growth Potential? [View article]
    As a recent "cord cutter", I disagree with the economic model in this article. Cord-cutting is a huge savings, especially when you consider the cost of internet as a fixed cost. Almost no one these days goes without internet, and it is used for more than streaming videos (for many older folks, I bet email, news, and browsing are still primary use cases). The internet has become a true utility. Cable TV is still not considered a must-have utility.

My family was barely watching any of the channels on cable, and we made a conscious decision to just do without what is not available on a combo of Hulu+Netflix+Amazon Prime. We only added Hulu to the mix after cutting the cord. Amazon Prime added video to the service well after we signed on and it is still primarily used for shopping, not streaming. Netflix has been a great source of children's programming with no commercial interruptions.

As part of cord-cutting, we also bought an HD antenna for regular broadcast TV and a pre-activated, fully-owned TiVo for on-going DVR service. We are going to go from spending about $100/month to $11/month when just looking at variable, recurring costs. The premium antenna and DVR combined cost almost $500 but are not recurring. We recoup those costs in 5 months of doing without cable. We will recoup the cost of a second antenna after another month.

We were also delighted to discover that Disney already provides programming on Hulu (as a part-owner, this makes sense) and look forward to an expanding partnership between Netflix and Disney. So, even though we have cut the cord, we also highly doubt Disney is going to tank because of folks like me and my family. I am also relieved to see that Disney is getting ahead of the cord-cutters NOW while the numbers are small. Other networks could get steamrolled when more and more people do wake up to the cost savings available from cutting the cord. It is coming.
    Oct 1, 2015. 07:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hulu CEO: Ad-free model is adding net subscribers [View news story]
    I love Hulu. I find a lot more programming I enjoy there than Netflix. I think it boils down to TV vs movie preferences.
    Sep 29, 2015. 07:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is A Low Rate World - Get Used To It [View article]
    I am willing to review the data on the issue....
    Sep 26, 2015. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sarepta schedules conference call to update investors on eteplirsen; shares slump 6% [View news story]
    I doubt there is a conspiracy going on. But I do think it is more likely SRPT is down as part of industry-wide selling. Just look at IBB. The announcement just came on a bad stock day.
    Sep 25, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment