Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Molycorp: CEO Confidence In Light Of SEC Action? [View article]
    Agreed. It seems some calculation is going on that includes a hope that the buying itself is a bottoming signal to the market. But it has yet to work for all prior insider purchases by each and every insider. The negativity and selling pressure toward MCP never ceases to amaze me.
    Nov 22, 2012. 02:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Time Should Be Different - Fade The Japanese Yen [View article]
    Good luck then to both of us!
    Nov 21, 2012. 09:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • This Time Should Be Different - Fade The Japanese Yen [View article]
    Thanks.

The 20DMA is now darting upward and is likely to support any uptrend. So, a pullback to that moving average should fully relieve current overbought extremes. Right now that would be around 80.5.

The last two days alone have been extreme. USD/JPY launched from 81.25 so it is very possible that in a very bullish scenario, this is the best pullback I will get. So, when/if we get there, I will definitely consider nibbling around that level.
    Nov 21, 2012. 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Positive Trade When Incumbent Presidents Run For Re-Election Rarely Lasts [View article]
    Clinton's re-election campaign year was one of only two years where the pre-election trade sustained its gains. But as I noted, the 1996 starting point just barely survived the March, 2009 crash.
    Nov 21, 2012. 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Molycorp: CEO Confidence In Light Of SEC Action? [View article]
    Mr. Smith made at least two different purchases of stock last year at much, much higher prices. While I want to believe that he has finally found THE bottom in his stock, I reserve judgment for now. But I do like this purchase much more than the others given the overall negative shroud hanging over the company. I too bought (more) shares this week on more technical grounds that indicate a bottom may finally be here.
    For reference, this is what I wrote about last year's purchases: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Nov 21, 2012. 08:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Consider Going Long Cliffs Despite Goldman Downgrade [View article]
    Iron ore prices still look like they are in a downtrend from recent highs. What's the thesis for the current uptick breaking the downtrend. What's to prevent a fresh drop?

I am also wondering whether it is just as valid to have hope that CLF will chase iron ore prices higher as it is to worry that CLF has continued going down DESPITE the recent recovery in iron ore.
    Nov 20, 2012. 08:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • With Housing Demand Rebounding, Negative Equity Now Supports Housing Values [View article]
    Yes, indeed. I was floored when I saw those numbers. VERY encouraging indeed.
    Nov 19, 2012. 10:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I forgot to point out an interesting coincidence in these data - the historic (intraday) March low on the S&P 500 at 666.79 happens to be rest just above the value of the index on July 31, 1996. The S&P 500 closed that day at 639.95, and it would have been the buying point for playing the pre-election trade in 1996 with Clinton running for a second term. So, it was only by a sliver that 1996 turned out to be a lasting buying point.
    Nov 18, 2012. 01:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dollar's Vote Is In And Appears Ready To Run Higher [View article]
    We can only take this one step at a time until the market "chooses" to reveal itself. I am surprised there is such a large commercial long position in the yen and yet the yen has been generally weak for months. I was thinking that weakness portended a stronger stock market. But the yen DID strengthen ever so slightly against USD. Regardless, I think staying flexible and keeping an open eye are going to be key here.
    Nov 7, 2012. 11:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dollar's Vote Is In And Appears Ready To Run Higher [View article]
    That is a funny juxtaposition. But differences of perspective and opinion are what make the market. I am basically thinking that the dollar seems to have enough momentum now to do what I thought it could not do in the near-term: make a breakout above the 200DMA. Time will tell. VERY interesting the dollar index was flat to down while the stock market sold off heavily. Correlations seem to be a-changing...
    Nov 7, 2012. 11:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dollar's Vote Is In And Appears Ready To Run Higher [View article]
    Australian deputy governor made references to the fact that essentially all the struggling developed economies are printing money. Australia's answer is apparently to continue cutting rates. An interesting discussion on EconTalk about hyperinflation here: http://bit.ly/RYgvGj
    Essentially argues it won't happen in the U.S. because Fed money is still small compared to "bank money."
    Nov 7, 2012. 11:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reserve Bank Of Australia Balks On Inflation - Currency's Rise Provides Fresh Shorting Opportunity [View article]
    I don't think intervention is yet on the radar. Given all the hints Aussie officials keep dropping, I am guessing they think some combination of subtle jawboning and an accomodative bias will be sufficient to gradually erode interest in the Aussie dollar. It is a slow grind though since so many are merely focused on itnerest rate differentials.
    Nov 6, 2012. 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hurricane Sandy And Nasdaq Closure Interferes With Post-IPO Facebook Stock Lockup [View article]
    Strange to call the delay of a lockup expiration an "unfortunate effect" of a Hurricane. The sellers will still get their shot to dump shares after the storm has past and the market re-opens. A lot more people will be much worse off after the storm passes...
    Oct 29, 2012. 07:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned As Apple Earnings Deliver Dream For Options Sellers [View article]
    A stock split is loooong overdue.
    Oct 27, 2012. 06:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I think it is good to keep as close a tab on Samsung's results as it is to track Apple results. This is from SeekingAlpha. I am guessing Apple is the one applying the pressure going forward with all these new product releases.

Samsung's (SSNLF.PK) Q3 net profit soared 91% to 6.56T won ($6B) - the company's third straight quarter of record profit - while revenue jumped 26% to 52.2T won. As ever, earnings were boosted by Samsung's mobile unit, where sales of the Galaxy S III helped operating profit more than double to 5.63T. However, Samsung indicated that momentum may stall in Q4, saying it "expects market competition to intensify" and "muted" seasonal demand due to the global economy.
    Oct 27, 2012. 06:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment