Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Arrows Pointing South For Priceline.com Post-Earnings [View article]
    Thanks for the additional background. I am finding the spreads on PCLN options too wide for my taste, so very unlikely I will get a fill on anything.
    May 9, 2012. 12:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Earnings Plays [View article]
    Follow-up question: seems to me that buying a straddle (or strangle) naturally gives you the worst possible positioning since you buy pre-earnings risk premium on both sides of the bet. What about betting 100% of the time in one direction? What happens to your table then? Or how about selling puts and call spreads as a replacement for selling a straddle that opens up near unlimited downside potential?
    May 6, 2012. 02:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Must Sell In May, Choose The Start Or The End Of The Month [View article]
    For the technically inclined, my case for a topping pattern. I cannot estimate (yet) the depths of the decline likely to come though.
    May 6, 2012. 12:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cool. I will check it out soon.
    May 6, 2012. 12:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That is an angle I never considered. However, most retail investors are long-term, buy and hold. So, I would assume sell in May is irrelevant to them. It is traders that care most. To the extent those traders decide to stay active, I am thinking the adage should still be relevant. To the extent the remaining participating retail investors have decided to become traders, I would think they are particularly sensitive to the sell in May strategy.
    May 6, 2012. 12:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Austerity Under Fire: One Of Several Economic Drags On The U.K. Vs. The U.S. [View article]
    You think the UK government is trying to protect the pound? My assumption has been the pound is climbing just about as high as they are willing to tolerate. Austerity right before elections is definitely a tough (impossible?) sell!
    May 5, 2012. 07:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding To Skullcandy On Post Earnings Pull Back Noise [View article]
    At $13.75, I am starting back into a small position here. I missed the last trip here. Will expand position on any further significant pullback. Thanks for all the articles on SKUL
    May 4, 2012. 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Odds Deliver As Post-Earnings Apple Breaks April's Downtrend [View article]
    And I definitely was not trying to answer that question. This was all about focusing on what the stock might do immediately following earnings.
    May 3, 2012. 04:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very good analogy. I agree.
    The main problem Apple has in the short-term is that the last earnings report did not provide investors (or analysts in particular) with any sizzle. Apple was more than its typical conservative self. The numbers themselves, when seen out of context, look weak with sequential declines. Cook had great explanations for everything, but it was surely not enough to maintain momentum given all the macro risks we see every day and now the fears of "Sell In May." As I mentioned above, I think at these levels, Apple is a decent buy.
    May 3, 2012. 04:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I sure haven't. Any particular lesson I should get from it?
    May 3, 2012. 04:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sorry for the late response, at the time of writing my assessment was that Apple would meander, going nowhere until earnings comes up again. However, since then, the post-earnings selling has surprised me by its strength. I now need to look out for another test of the $558 breakout level. At a minimum, Apple seems to lack the momentum to make another run for fresh all-time highs in the coming weeks. Finally, I still think below $600 represents a decent buying opportunity.
    May 3, 2012. 04:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Imperial Sugar: Ultimate Value Trap, Or Jackpot In The Making? [View article]
    I have already sold my holdings, so good luck and much success to everyone else choosing to bleed every last bit. :)
    May 1, 2012. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Australian Dollar Holds Firm Ahead Of A Likely Rate Cut [View article]
    Sure was. I have now posted my thoughts on it.
    May 1, 2012. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fiscal Policy Under Fire: An Economic Drag On The U.K. Versus The U.S. [View article]
    Hi Everyone - this was inadvertently reprinted. Original here: http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 1, 2012. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Imperial Sugar: Ultimate Value Trap, Or Jackpot In The Making? [View article]
    Hey Mark - conclusion is JACKPOT! Man, thanks so much for writing all these pieces on IPSU. They gave me the confidence to take the plunge in IPSU. I had been watching this for months thinking it was undervalued.

Good stuff and congrats!