Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Despite Buyback, RIM Short Interest Increases To New Highs Ahead Of Earnings [View article]
    Addendum. RIMM short interest dropped by 2 million as of August 31. Sizable 2-week drop, but overall levels still extremely high. See www.nasdaq.com/aspxcon...
    Sep 12 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    $35 is the intermediate target. I was focused on that level for before earnings. Almost got there two weeks ago. Post-earnings is really, really tough to call...
    Sep 12 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unimpressed By CEO's Purchase Of Molycorp Shares [View article]
    Hi Lisa - you are a braver soul than I! I know MCP has great volatility for daytrading and short-term trading, but the devil is in the execution! I am focused on the longer-term (2012 and beyond). I am waiting out the churn by occasionally selling calls against my positions and/or buying puts to stay protected (and selling them if they make money).
    Sep 10 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Flowserve Loses All of Its QE2-Inspired Gains [View article]
    Definitely more attractive with a 3% yield. But that would also require another substantial drop in the stock price!
    Sep 9 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Despite Bullish Outlook From Joy Global, The 'Commodity Crash' Playbook Stays Active [View article]
    My thesis follows Grantham who is predicting a crash followed by a continuation of the secular bull market. He is far from doubting human ingenuity, just recognizes it does not have infinite powers. I am not clear whether your outlook is bearish or bullish from your commentary, but it seems your main quibble is with the notion a crash may come.
    Sep 2 04:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unimpressed By CEO's Purchase Of Molycorp Shares [View article]
    What's the easiest way to get data on insider transactions on Canadian listed stocks?
    Aug 27 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unimpressed By CEO's Purchase Of Molycorp Shares [View article]
    I don't think of Lynas as competition. It is an additional source of much-needed supply. I am not expert enough to make specific predictions on supplies or price, but I believe on balance the market is going to remain constrained for some years to come at a minimum. China continues to have every motivation to restrict exports and even encourage manufacturers to move operations behind their borders. Again, an economic contraction will certainly send the prices of commodities lower. But I see this as a buying opportunity, not something to fear. You should size positions accordingly. That is, do not get too aggressive here.
    Aug 27 06:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unimpressed By CEO's Purchase Of Molycorp Shares [View article]
    Hi Lisa,
    MCP is tough to hold, even tougher to trade. I would recommend next time you buy (and I think here around $50 is a GREAT place to start buying), that you consider a little put protection to help you sleep at night. Bottom-line, never trade or invest in anything that makes you nervous. I have a longer-term reference for MCP that extends several years, so I anticipated buying MORE MCP if economic conditions send the stock down further.
    Aug 27 06:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unimpressed By CEO's Purchase Of Molycorp Shares [View article]
    Interesting. I never heard that explanation. I did not notice it in the SEC filings either.
    Aug 27 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ReneSola Will Survive A Solar Recession [View article]
    Agreed!
    Aug 24 05:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ReneSola Will Survive A Solar Recession [View article]
    Good luck to us both!
    Aug 24 05:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wrong About Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Time should soon tell. But I think fallout that infects the entire space should present a fresh buying opp for the patient.
    Aug 22 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wrong About Municipal Bonds [View article]
    You have any good references for researching CEFs, UITs, etc..?
    Aug 22 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Picking Through The Rubble Of Solar Stocks [View article]
    Thanks, Pudentane. My take on SATC is all pain! Thanks for reminding me about the inverter plays. I will need to collect myself one of these days and write separately on them. I am afraid to say that SATC looks like it is getting buried under a poor capital structure (poor balance sheet) that can't survive a recession. There was a time not long ago when inverters looked like a one of the best ways to play solar.
    Aug 22 05:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Crash: Stocks That Have Erased QE2 Gains [View article]
    TC's dilution is not bad, but it is not good either. The trend is the worst part. It suggests the business cannot fund itself. Do you know whether expansion or capital investment plans keep getting more expensive than planned? I am not sure how TC's revenue is distributed, but this is not a requirement for the "commodities crash" scenario given presumed future shortages will cause prices to rise globally.
    The potential slowdown in the economy is not good (steel industry's woes start from margin pressure from increasing input costs). But it is also the partial catalyst for this whole thesis. TC's chart is quite ugly, and it is hard to buy (I have not done so). But, assuming there are not serious operational problems we don't know about, TC does look like a target by some cash-rich suitor. We will see. Hard to bet on that.
    Let's keep an eye on it for now! There were lots of other healthier buys in the commodity space last week....
    Aug 17 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment