Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Coal Companies That Could Be the Big U.S. Exporters to China [View article]
    Any thoughts on WLT after today's earnings collapse?
    Aug 4 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Play Another Yen Intervention [View article]
    Thanks. Don't get *too* quick on that short! However, like you, I sense 80 may be the ceiling for this intervention....
    Aug 4 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Play Another Yen Intervention [View article]
    Intervention has begun: www.cnbc.com/id/44012398
    Japan didn't wait for even more weakness this time.
    Aug 3 10:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boring Week Waiting for RIM's Buyback but a Big Move Is Brewing [View article]
    At this point, they could be waiting for the turbulence from the debt ceiling debate to pass. If they believe in the launch of the new products, they will be buying stock before the launch (but after all official announcements about the launches are complete since they legally cannot purchase shares while they have material knowledge that is not yet public). Given the volumes over the past two weeks, I suspect there was ONE day RIMM did finally step into the market. But that is guesswork.
    Jul 31 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seagate Not Likely to Find 'Ruthenium-Like' Relief From Soaring Rare Earth Prices [View article]
    I have had Great Western for a while now. I think Jack Lifton is the best reference on that piece. Here is one of his latest: www.techmetalsresearch.../

You can see other articles on the right-hand side of the page. To me, basically, Great Western has valuable supply chain expertise, REE heavies, and good intermediate-term prospects.
    Jul 28 05:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I wrote earlier that fresh 52-week lows would be a good indicator that the whole strategy to piggyback repurchases has gone awry. Almost there...
    Jul 28 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Solar: Solid Long-Term Prospects at a Great Current Entry Point [View article]
    Solar is not a replacement for oil, especially in the U.S. Coal and natural gas are the biggest contributors to electric generation: drduru.com/onetwentytw.../
    Jul 27 12:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enthusiasm for Gold Continues to Wane [View article]
    Thanks, Sean.

Based on some of the commentary here, I think next time I write about this, I will make it much more clear what I think the limitations and benefits are of these data. I incorrectly assumed the close correlations in peaks in search volume and (short-term) peaks in the price of GLD would be compelling enough on its own...
    Jul 24 10:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Enthusiasm for Gold Continues to Wane [View article]
    Meaning I am still thinking on the potential implications. The article's main focus is on the implications of search volume. As I noted above, the relationship of news references to GLD appears mixed. My parameter has absolutely nothing to do with the news references. I also noted in the article that Google does not provide the ability to download the data anyway.
    Jul 24 10:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enthusiasm for Gold Continues to Wane [View article]
    Thanks for adding that clarification. I referred to some of your points in my previous post on this topic.
    I should have also mentioned that my early interest in using Google Trends search data was to see whether we could get any indicator of whether a bubble was underway. In a bubble, I would expect a tremendous surge in search interest as just about all the possible new entrants and skeptics alike finally get on board and stampede for info, investments, etc...
    I am not certain this will happen, but I like keeping my eye on these data because I suspect it will happen. As I suggested above, we are likely still far, far off from such bubble behavior. Plenty of gold skepticism abounds.
    Jul 24 10:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enthusiasm for Gold Continues to Wane [View article]
    It doesn't. There are many limitations to using Google Trends. I outlined some of them in a previous post (link posted above). For example, I am only looking at English language searches. But I found the correlations between spikes in search activity and short-term peaks in GLD compelling enough to extend the analysis...
    Jul 24 10:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seagate Blames a "Bubble" In Rare Earth Prices for Causing a Margin Squeeze [View article]
    Also note that as of the 2010 annual report, Molycorp estimates that its Bastnasite ore contains about .05% Dysprosium and that the company has developed the expertise to process Dysprosium (and other REEs...)
    Jul 23 03:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I was disjointed there. Thanks for pointing that out.

The two mentions were meant to be separate. Dysprosium as an example that I had ready in mind of a rare earth that Seagate must be referencing when they complain about soaring prices in the past 60 days. Molycorp as a U.S. mine that Seagate must have been thinking will be producing in the near future. Seagate apparently also uses Neodymium and Cerium in their hard drives. MCP has both of these.
    Jul 23 02:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for this reminder. Complete gaffe on my part for not mentioning Ucore in conjunction with Seagate's commentary (disclosure: I am long Ucore as well). But I consider it a VERY speculative play.
    Jul 23 02:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    All I can say is hang in there.
    Jul 23 02:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment