Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ranger Equity Bear ETF Still Behaving As A Leveraged Bet Against The S&P 500 [View article]
    Agreed. Shorting the S&P 500 is the benchmark. I use SDS as my personal benchmark because I replaced holdings in SDS with HDGE looking for less downside in market rallies...
    Mar 1, 2013. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am definitely not giving up on HDGE, just shortening my range of applications. The good part of the inverse behavior, I guess, is that once the market has its next big correction, HDGE should soar. Where did you get the commentary from the fund manager? I was looking for more.
    Mar 1, 2013. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Definitely - a bull market tends to allow even the worst companies to thrive, but HDGE has been able to find some real stinkers that have declined throughout the rally from last year's June lows. Would be interesting to see the entire portfolio. As a shareholder, I thought I could get access...
    Mar 1, 2013. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Time VIX Spike #11 (And A Treasure Trove Of VIX Spike Data) [View article]
    I agree that the Italian election drama is a sideshow, an excuse to sell. Immediate sellers have been washed out, relief rally ensues, and selling restarts shortly as folks who didn't get out Monday are relieved to get another chance. (I like a retest of the 50-day moving average for the S&P 500 as a better risk/reward dipping point).
    Feb 27, 2013. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Reserve Bank Of Australia Explains The Link Between The Currency And Interest Rates [View article]
    It *should* be explicit but the politics here are that countries who participate in the currency floating scheme are not supposed to intervene. Explicit targeting is one semantic twist away from intervention.

Stevens also made a reference to an era when Australia did intervene in the markets to pin its exchange rate. I am not sure how that all worked out.
    Feb 25, 2013. 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Supply/Demand Imbalances Continue Building In The Housing Market [View article]
    Thanks for the additional numbers. California's housing market is of course particularly tight. The SF Bay Area seems like it is right back to the good ol' bad days....
    Feb 25, 2013. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I wrote about their impact in an earlier piece. These investors seem to be holding onto the properties for rental income. One insider suggested that the typical holding period is projected to be around 4 years. That provides a rough gauge for how long it might take for housing to return to any semblance of "normalcy." Should be interesting to see what happens to the market if investor projections do not pan out.
    Feb 25, 2013. 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I definitely agree that all stats should be examined first with skepticism and next with a critical eye. I hope I was clear about the caveats on the data here. Housing is particularly tricky when it comes to aggregated numbers since markets vary so much from one locale to the next.
    Feb 25, 2013. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We actually don't really want wage inflation engineered by monetary policy. We want higher productivity engineered by private enterprise. This *should* lead to greater prosperity and wages....
    Feb 25, 2013. 02:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed. I tried to place the necessary caveats. I was mainly struck by how "normal" it is for inventory to drop so much following a recession. It puts the current drop into better perspective and makes it a lot less surprising.
    Feb 25, 2013. 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pound Vs. Euro - Debt Downgrade Vs. GDP Downgrade [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback. It is ironic that the sell-off in the pound is effectively what King wants in the first place in order to help "rebalance" the UK economy.
    Feb 25, 2013. 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Weakening Canadian Economy Needs A Weaker Currency [View article]
    Thanks for that addition. I did not address the housing numbers in this piece. Some have argued Canada is still within the throes of a housing bubble. If that is the case, these rule changes will cause some sharp pain for the domestic economy.
    Feb 24, 2013. 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Weakening Canadian Economy Needs A Weaker Currency [View article]
    No. That is not the argument here. The argument is that the Canadian dollar in particular seems over-valued versus the U.S. dollar. Whether the Bank of Canada weakens the currency or markets do is a matter of timing if my read of the economic fundies is correct.
    Feb 24, 2013. 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Weakening Canadian Economy Needs A Weaker Currency [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback. I will be watching those levels. Canada has a lot of flexibility. I am confident they will be fine. But traders have overloaded on the Loonie, and it is time to let it fly (south) a bit.
    Feb 24, 2013. 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collateral Damage In The Currency Wars [View article]
    I think you meant the pound has fallen against the U.S. dollar?
    Feb 23, 2013. 07:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment