Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A Time To Buy Housing Stocks: iShares U.S. Home Construction [View article]
    The interesting thing with homebuilder stocks, as in real estate in general, is that most people are most reluctant to buy when these assets are cheap. Instead, low prices cause fear and projections of apocalypse. And then, when prices recover, the hesitation continues because of the fear imprinted from the last trough that says that the recovery can't possible be real or last.

Just look at some of the extremely bearish articles printing when housing was struggling at its very bottom.
    Aug 30, 2015. 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time To Buy Housing Stocks: iShares U.S. Home Construction [View article]
    Homebuilders are going to benefit greatly from the cyclical downturn in commodities. That is yet one more positive tailwind coming down the line.
    Aug 30, 2015. 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time To Buy Housing Stocks: iShares U.S. Home Construction [View article]
    Take your pick, that's all good! Investing in housing over the long-term America should be a winner given the country is under-producing relative to future population and economic growth. I understand your hesitation given homebuilders have had nice run-ups from their bottoms. I still prefer to buy/add on dips, not chase.

The regional builders are still very cheap though. I have written about them in previous pieces.
    Aug 30, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time To Buy Housing Stocks: iShares U.S. Home Construction [View article]
    I have been hearing about the looming threat of shadow inventories ever since the bubble popped. It was one of the biggest bearish arguments applied when I made the case for a housing bottom. I even had to write a piece addressing the rumors of all that shadow inventory. Sounds like I need to write another one, but I am even more curious about the evidence since you say it is well-documented. Where can I find it?
    Aug 30, 2015. 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Here's Why You Should Stick With BHP Billiton In The Downturn [View article]
    I agree. My read is that there are plenty of reasons to continue to stay away until the industries BHP plays rationalize and stop over-producing into weakening demand. The next blow could come from a cut in the dividend. That would hurt short term but longer term it will save resources for making key acquisitions and/or keeping the company fit to ride out what could be an extended period of slower growth in China.
    Aug 30, 2015. 11:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Once Again, Buy The Euro [View article]
    Over what timeframe and currencies are you taking about strengthening? For example, the euro still trades lower against the dollar relative to the ECB's official QE news. Ditto the pound. The more salient narrative right now is that the strength of the euro during the recent crash was all about carry unwind, not a safety trade.
    Also, going forward, you seem to imply that the inflation numbers presage a significant strengthening in the euro zone economy. Is that correct? Given China is a major trading partner with the euro zone, doesn't the yuan devaluation threaten to slow the eurozone's prospects?
    Aug 29, 2015. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Second Quarter Earnings, Splunk Or Tableau Are No-Brainers [View article]
    I was wondering a similar thing. The companies are not direct competitors so I didn't get the direct head-to-head comparison. Given the data here, a portfolio-based approach could work although I would still like to see more profitability.
    Aug 28, 2015. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley's 27 stocks to buy on the dip [View news story]
    Liking the domestic-based businesses like homebuilders.
    Aug 28, 2015. 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Icahn Takes Large Stake In Freeport - Sign Of Mature Mining Bear? [View article]
    Thanks for that info. I was going to ask why we should assume the commodity bear is mature just because a guy with a lot of money throws some money at it.
    Aug 28, 2015. 08:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Freeport-McMoRan Soars Over 28% On A Commitment To Stop Wasting Cash [View article]
    I agree. Very positive development. With FCX respecting the cycle, a bottom could very well finally be here.
    Aug 27, 2015. 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Breathe But Don't Panic [View article]
    " we found that 41% of respondents expected a tail-risk event in the next 12 months." - doesn't that mean we can't consider these risks tail risks? Respondents are effectively saying that the odds for something very bad to happen are very high. This wasn't reflected in the low VIX before. Now that it is...fading volatility is likely to lead to a lot larger returns than buying the S&P 500....
    Aug 25, 2015. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman sees rebound ahead, lists 25 most oversold stocks [View news story]
    Comparing to 1998 is an odd way to be optimistic...unless this is a 12 to 18-month trading call. We all know what happened in 2000....
    Aug 25, 2015. 11:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SPDR Gold Shares Closes A Gap As The Fed Maintains Its Churn On Rate Hikes [View article]
    What do you think then about owning gold miners who own productive mines?
    Aug 25, 2015. 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Flirt No More - The U.S. Dollar Breaks Down As Rate Hike Odds Move To 2016 Again [View article]
    I am so tempted to add the New Zealand dollar to my trading list, but I am already full to the brim with currencies! :) Seeing how the kiwis got slammed makes me even more convinced that one day we will wake up to a significantly lower Australian dollar....seemingly out of nowhere.
    Aug 25, 2015. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It is exactly the odds of rate whiplash that will make the Fed even more reticent to hike than ever. If the Fed does surprise me with a hike, as I have noted before, it will likely be exceedingly emphatic to note that data suggest there is no need to hike again anytime soon. As always, the Fed will emphasize data dependence, etc...
    Aug 25, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment