Dr. Duru

View Dr. Duru's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Tensions Between The Fed And Market Expectations Should Keep The U.S. Dollar In Trading Range Limbo [View article]
    Yes - I have argued that the Fed is forced to listen to the market. The best it can do is try to convince the market of one reality or another.
    Oct 5, 2015. 11:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Will Cord Cutters Cut Disney's Growth Potential? [View article]
    The $11/month is for Hulu. We essentially replaced the cable subscription with a Hulu subscription. I was astounded to find the amount of programming there. I watch it now a lot more than Netflix which somehow rarely seems to have the specific movie I am looking for (again, it has been GREAT for the kids).

I should have also mentioned that the cable cost I quoted was all-inclusive (taxes and DVR leasing fees) and was for a "somewhat" premium package that allowed me to watch the NFL Network (I'll miss it, but it isn't worth keeping cable for it!) The cable programming fee goes down to as low as $20 for just the basic broadcast channels. That option still pales in comparison to Hulu.
    Oct 2, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Will Cord Cutters Cut Disney's Growth Potential? [View article]
    As a recent "cord cutter", I disagree with the economic model in this article. Cord-cutting is a huge savings, especially when you consider the cost of internet as a fixed cost. Almost no one these days goes without internet, and it is used for more than streaming videos (for many older folks, I bet email, news, and browsing are still primary use cases). The internet has become a true utility. Cable TV is still not considered a must-have utility.

My family was barely watching any of the channels on cable, and we made a conscious decision to just do without what is not available on a combo of Hulu+Netflix+Amazon Prime. We only added Hulu to the mix after cutting the cord. Amazon Prime added video to the service well after we signed on and it is still primarily used for shopping, not streaming. Netflix has been a great source of children's programming with no commercial interruptions.

As part of cord-cutting, we also bought an HD antenna for regular broadcast TV and a pre-activated, fully-owned TiVo for on-going DVR service. We are going to go from spending about $100/month to $11/month when just looking at variable, recurring costs. The premium antenna and DVR combined cost almost $500 but are not recurring. We recoup those costs in 5 months of doing without cable. We will recoup the cost of a second antenna after another month.

We were also delighted to discover that Disney already provides programming on Hulu (as a part-owner, this makes sense) and look forward to an expanding partnership between Netflix and Disney. So, even though we have cut the cord, we also highly doubt Disney is going to tank because of folks like me and my family. I am also relieved to see that Disney is getting ahead of the cord-cutters NOW while the numbers are small. Other networks could get steamrolled when more and more people do wake up to the cost savings available from cutting the cord. It is coming.
    Oct 1, 2015. 07:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hulu CEO: Ad-free model is adding net subscribers [View news story]
    I love Hulu. I find a lot more programming I enjoy there than Netflix. I think it boils down to TV vs movie preferences.
    Sep 29, 2015. 07:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is A Low Rate World - Get Used To It [View article]
    I am willing to review the data on the issue....
    Sep 26, 2015. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sarepta schedules conference call to update investors on eteplirsen; shares slump 6% [View news story]
    I doubt there is a conspiracy going on. But I do think it is more likely SRPT is down as part of industry-wide selling. Just look at IBB. The announcement just came on a bad stock day.
    Sep 25, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is A Low Rate World - Get Used To It [View article]
    Just to be clear, I am using that phrase as the messaging being used by Haldane from the Bank of England.

Trying to chase yield for retirement income is definitely risky business. When rates do go up, real rates (or yields) may not rise anyway. The point here is that *real* rates are going to stay low for quite some time, especially because inflation is so stubbornly low. Low inflation is a particularly good thing for anyone on fixed income or budgets.
    Sep 24, 2015. 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Anti-Climactic Fed Meeting On The Path Of Policy Normalization [View article]
    I hope you got that short in on AUD/USD already! The Aussie is telling us all we need to know about the real data in China, right?

I neglected to think through implications of the Canadian election. Thx for that heads up! I think "risk" on USD/CAD is to 1.35 or so.
    Sep 23, 2015. 12:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We should probably expect the market to churn within a new (and lower) trading range for a while until the next catalyst....
    Sep 23, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Earnings Plays [View article]
    It's too bad SA no longer supports articles about options trading.
    Sep 23, 2015. 12:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How The S&P 500's Current Breakdown Increases The Odds Of Further Selling [View article]
    Do you have a reference for us to learn about the model?
    Sep 23, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Swiss Franc Report Card After A Rush For 'Safety' Trades [View article]
    Thanks for reading. Too bad for Switzerland it will take a deteriorating economy FIRST before traders and investors take the foot off the Swiss franc pedal....
    Sep 16, 2015. 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Commodity Crash Takes A Pause: An Attractive Trade On Coffee [View article]
    Yes. Cautionary indeed. The fundamental story I think is still correct, but the weight of the on-going collapse in commodities is simply too forceful still. I played the previous bounce well but did not lock in the profits....
    Sep 16, 2015. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank Of Canada Avoids The 'R' Word [View article]
    The Australian dollar is a great target for a fade on USD post-Fed weakness. I am never wrote the article on the Australian dollar that I wanted to summarize all the recent economic data. For now, I am on board with all the bears targeting 0.65...
    Sep 15, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LGI Homes Is Now A Bit Hot To The Touch [View article]
    I think it is a multi-year investment as well. My only issue is that the run-up seems like a lot of hot money rushing in to ride momentum. I have relatively portfolio of homebuilder stocks (relative to other holdings anyway), so I am just doing some trimming as this position became extra large.
    Sep 12, 2015. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment