Dr. James V. Baker

View Dr. James V. Baker's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Analyzing Citigroup's Worth [View article]
    The reverse stock split clearly reduced the number of potential buyers at a time when the big, institutional buyers had a dismal view of large financials. When financials come back into favor, it should enjoy significant upside versus other commerical banks.

I have not read the sudy of reverse splits; however, the data were probably heavily weighted with dot.com companies that were crushed in 2000 and never returned to prosperity.

By the way, I got my undergraduate degree from Penn State in 1962. Good luck and keep working. A CFA will open many more occupational doors than an MBA.
    Jun 2, 2011. 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Democratization and (In)accuracy of Financial Data: BofA's Share Price [View article]
    I have calculated the REPORTED book value per share of BAC common equity as of December 31, 2008 at $27.77 per share. Those favoring nationalization say that BAC's true common equity (tangible common equity TCE) would be negative if you marked its assets to their true market value, which they assert is the amount that would be paid by private equity investors for BAC assets.

You might find my comments of BAC on my blog of interest, see:
    bankofamericamonitor.b.../
    Feb 18, 2009. 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer Is Right about Ultrashort ETFs [View article]
    Trader Mark is on the money as is Jim Cramer. The Ultra ETFs are explosive devices that need to be eradicated by the SEC. A check of the Yahoo message boards on these ETFs stongly suggests people buying and selling these things would be better off in Las Vegas.
    Dec 23, 2008. 06:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Game Console Wars Rage: What A Difference $100 Makes [View article]
    The sales of the Wii grossly understate what sales would be if the Wii console was generally available. The premium price being paid for the Wii on eBay reflects this acute shortage.
    Aug 9, 2007. 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Video Game Industry: Nintendo Back In The Lead [View article]
    The Good Doctor wrote:
    Be careful Robert, there will be a huge difference between the number of games available for sale on the Wii and those that sell in sufficient quantity to make the game a success for the developer. Also, COOL is a thinly traded stock with a spread between bid and asked that is guaranteed to make the dealers a profit. Find another stock to trade, while you are still alive financially.
    Jul 13, 2007. 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Video Game Industry: Nintendo Back In The Lead [View article]
    The Good Doctor said:
    Per Robert Bohrer's comment and today's sharp run-up in the price of COOL shares I have added Majesco to the list of the leading companies in the video game industryon my website. To check out the revisions go directly to my website. Its URL is:
    nintendostock.blogspot.../
    Jul 12, 2007. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Video Game Industry: Nintendo Back In The Lead [View article]
    The Good Doctor said:
    Thank you for the nice comments on my most recent article. As you can imagine, it took months of reseach.

Additionally, I appreciate your calling Majesco, symbol COOL, to my attention. It would have made the list but just barely because in its most recent fiscal year it showed total revenue of only $66.7 million. In the previous year to showed total revenue of only $59.7 million, which was substantionally below its fiscal 2004 total revenue of &121 million.

The next time I update the article I will include COOL.
    Jul 12, 2007. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analysts Comment on Nintendo as Shares Keep Climbing [View article]
    Credit Suisse needs to fire Jay Defibaugh and encourage him to go back to Finance 101. His comment that Nintendo's valuation is pricey at 25x expected earnings vs. 19x for Sony is absurd.

Nintendo is a pure play on the video game industry where it earns virtually all of its income from the sale of home console and hand-held systems and proprietary video games.

In Sony's latest fiscal year (March 31, 2007) the game segment of its business represented only 12% of its total sales. Furthermore, it reported a loss on that segment of $1.97 billion.
    Jul 5, 2007. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment