Dr. Kris

View Dr. Kris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Reading China's Fortune [View instapost]
    Just wondering how shorting $YINN fits into your investment strategy?

Additional disclosure: Chris DeMuth Jr is a portfolio manager at Rangeley Capital. Rangeley invests with a margin of safety by buying securities at deep discounts to their intrinsic value and unlocking that value through corporate events. In order to maximize total returns for our investors, we reserve the right to make investment decisions regarding any security without further notification except where such notification is required by law.
    Apr 9, 2015. 04:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiny Toilet Arbitrage [View instapost]
    Does this ruling apply to private jets, too?
    Apr 4, 2015. 11:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    A cybersecurity company is only as good as the hackers it employs.
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From A Dozen Years Of Short Selling [View article]
    Another disadvantage of shorting is that the short seller is on the hook for paying the dividend (if there is one).

I agree with others here. Instead of shorting, I prefer using options to limit risk. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is...
    Feb 27, 2015. 02:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Attractive Biotech Picks For 2015 [View article]
    glenn#2,

I don't understand your "curt remarks" comment. How was my response curt? I was making an observation that I felt was not only true but funny. I respect all my fellow contributors and only have had issue with a few of them over the course of many years because I didn't think they had their readers' best interests in mind.

Dr. Kris
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Attractive Biotech Picks For 2015 [View article]
    There's one thing that beats good timing: dumb luck.
    Jan 23, 2015. 03:10 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Hi Mercy,

Something I stumbled across: Saudi Arabia plans to construct 16 nuclear power reactors over the next 20 years at a cost of more than $80 billion, with the first reactor on line in 2022.

Not sure what to make of it...

Dr. K
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:23 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    From the beginning of 2014, the TLT has appreciated 30% while the S&P has appreciated 9.6%. The TLT beat the S&P by 3 miles since then.

Dr. K
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    You, too, Mercy!

BTW, this is typically one of the most bullish weeks of the year. Just sayin'...
    Dec 21, 2014. 10:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Fat Years Of Event-Driven Investing [View article]
    Hi Chris,

There should be an index of Hedge Fund redemptions off which you can base a fund.

Okay, doing a search, apparently there is: http://bit.ly/1txYT6M

Seriously. I did not know.

Throwing in my two cents, you may wish to read articles outside of the financial literature for inspiration such as Wired, MIT Technology Review, and Popular Science. 'Tis the season to look outside of the box.

All the best to you and your family,

Dr. Kris
    Dec 2, 2014. 01:04 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What did the billionaires do in Q3? [View news story]
    I think there should be an index based on arbitrage between the Millionaire/Billionaire indices. I mean, what's next--the Kumquat index?
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:59 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Rand Worldwide Before It Completes Another Self Tender Offer And Goes Completely Private [View article]
    Boy, were you ever right--great call! Very sorry I didn't read this sooner...
    Nov 4, 2014. 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Kors Vs Coach: 1 Chart Says It All [View article]
    And I have an absolutely ancient MCM large tote that probably has racked up enough frequent flier miles to go to the moon and back. And the bag still looks like new!

Yep, they don't make 'em like the used to...
    Nov 4, 2014. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Kors Vs Coach: 1 Chart Says It All [View article]
    Mitch & Vireo,

I didn't mean to strike such a major controversy, but at my local Santa Monica based stores, yes, the Michael Kors bags really have been reduced at least twice. Nobody seems to want to buy them here.

Regarding $COH, yes, it can go lower, but you'll need to find out if the CEO can turn the company around. What they need to do is be innovative and great--I hate their logo handbags but I have loved the few that are innovative and have been orphaned--and those are the ones they need to promote--the daring, fun, darlings that their designers have said "Look at this!"

I do think both of these companies can go higher, but they both need marketing teams that can assess future needs and design teams that can translate them into viable goods. Perhaps the days of designer initials on everything are gone but I do think that the days of quality workmanship are here to stay... and that's a major selling point. And that's one point on which I think both of these manufacturers can (and need to) execute.

Dr. K
    Nov 4, 2014. 03:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #275, November 3, 2014 [View instapost]
    LT,

I'm not a Forex trader but I did recommend to my subscribers on 7/30/14 that they go long the USD (based on $UUP) and short the euro (based on $FXE). As of today, the $UUP is up 6.9% while the $FXE is down by the same amount.

Yes, it has been one of the best Forex trades in recent years.

Also agree with you on the significance of weak oil and Apple's European bond offerings. Somethin's goin' on...and I believe has been for a while...
    Nov 3, 2014. 10:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment