Dr. Kris

View Dr. Kris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Quick Chat #281 June 1 2015 [View instapost]
    Hats off to you, Mercy. You are my pick for the savviest person here (if Perkins Cove was hosting such a contest).

Wish you would post an original offering instead of a response, from time to time.

All the best to you!

Dr. K
    Jun 30, 2015. 01:34 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quick Chat #281 June 1 2015 [View instapost]
    Tribute Pharma is being bought out in a complicated deal. Shares of Tribute keep rising under heavy accumulation. I'd like to jump in but have no idea of how the company (and hence share price) should be valued. Since fundamental analysis is not my forte, I was wondering if any one of you fundamental experts here were willing to take a stab at it..? So far, it's been off the media's radar screens.
    Jun 19, 2015. 02:47 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The #1 Stock In The World [View article]
    Boy, it seems as if I've hit a nerve. I thought it was ingenious of Chris to take advantage of the fact that CNBC personal were remiss in their duties to consider the other side of providing the public with market-moving material. They probably thought that by providing the incoming callers with current information the callers could adjust their questions accordingly.

Hats off to you, Chris!
    Jun 11, 2015. 10:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Quick Chat #281 June 1 2015 [View instapost]
    Mercy,

Coal (kol) has been in a downward spiral for a long time.

Today, solar (tan, kwt) both broke major support.

Dr. K
    Jun 10, 2015. 01:37 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The #1 Stock In The World [View article]
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Jun 10, 2015. 01:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The #1 Stock In The World [View article]
    According to Investopia (and some other sites), what you're doing with the Cramer call-in strategy could be classified as insider trading. Not that the SEC will be coming after you--they have much bigger fish to fry.

"The buying or selling of a security by someone who has access to material, nonpublic information about the security."

Just sayin'...

Dr. K
    Jun 9, 2015. 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The #1 Stock In The World [View article]
    Your Cramer trade is priceless! I'm wondering if his show will now be getting swamped with callers...
    Jun 8, 2015. 04:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Spas And The Pampering Lifestyle For Fun And Profit [View article]
    Doctor,

Thanks so much for the article. Steiner stock broke out of a 2 1/2 month base today, closing above $50 resistance. Also, penny stock Kimberly Parry (KPOC, $0.47), a maker of high-end organic spa products, has been trending up, too.

It appears as if the consumer is still wanting to spend money, but tastes appear to be shifting from away from material goods (aka "stuff") and into the experiential: vacations, dining, fitness/wellness, etc. The spa space is definitely one to watch.

Dr. K
    Jun 1, 2015. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Economy Stalls But Markets Shrug It Off To Make New Highs [View instapost]
    Marc,

Art is the new black in terms of money laundering. Great pieces of art are sitting in secured warehouse docks.

Dr. K
    May 19, 2015. 01:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Corrections Corporation Of America - An Innovative Yield Strategy [View article]
    Good article, OM!

Good choices on your options strike picks: $38 is overhead resistance and $32 is major support. However, since the stock appears to be in rally mode, I would have waited until it starts flagging to write the call. Call me greedy.

Looking forward to more articles!

Dr. K
    May 18, 2015. 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Recession Is Over! [View instapost]
    Mad,

I always enjoy your articles as they are very well-written, entertaining, thoughtful, and informative. What you posit in this article certainly may be true (my crystal is at the cleaners so I have no way of knowing myself), but I'm wondering how your friends at Business Insider arrived at a P/E of 17 for stocks..? The average P/E of the S&P 500 today is 20.68 (according to multpl.com). If I'm reading the chart above correctly (and it's a bit fuzzy on my screen), the bar representing a P/E of 21x appears much less appealing than the 17x bar. According to the 21x bar, the chances of stocks gaining ground or losing it over the next 12 months appears to be around 50/50. Assuming those conditions, stuffing cash under one's mattress may be the prudent move.
    May 8, 2015. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great Social Security Marriage Benefit You've Never Heard Of [View instapost]
    Mad:

If my husband doesn't mind, I'll marry you in the state of Utah. And I adore blinding snowstorms--what better place to sport one's ermine?

Dr. K
    Apr 30, 2015. 12:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    MJ--

What the CME said really isn't laughable, it's deflating and demoralizing. What's really crummy is that Wall Street gets away with raping the savings of mom & pops everywhere while profiting from their scams. The person who promulgated this fiasco should pay in part, but it's the people who funded him who should bear the brunt.

My take on this:

It's similar to a pump & dump in reverse. To execute this strategy, you'd need the backing of big money and since the short side risk is theoretically unlimited, it would be quite nice if there was something to balance it. Enter the plays in increased volatility.

The article you mentioned doesn't say how the volatility aspect is played but I'm guessing it's via futures or index tracking stocks. Perhaps between private betting billionaires--ahem--tr... firms.

Kris
    Apr 28, 2015. 01:23 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    MJ: Seems like they were looking for a scapegoat, and you're right, this is done by HFTs every day. As far as I can see, there was nothing illegal about it--unethical is another story.

Reminds me of the "Bunny Lady" of the Enron oil futures fame...

Kris
    Apr 21, 2015. 04:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reading China's Fortune [View instapost]
    Just wondering how shorting $YINN fits into your investment strategy?

Additional disclosure: Chris DeMuth Jr is a portfolio manager at Rangeley Capital. Rangeley invests with a margin of safety by buying securities at deep discounts to their intrinsic value and unlocking that value through corporate events. In order to maximize total returns for our investors, we reserve the right to make investment decisions regarding any security without further notification except where such notification is required by law.
    Apr 9, 2015. 04:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment