Dr. Kris

View Dr. Kris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Economy Stalls But Markets Shrug It Off To Make New Highs [View instapost]
    Marc,

Art is the new black in terms of money laundering. Great pieces of art are sitting in secured warehouse docks.

Dr. K
    May 19, 2015. 01:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Corrections Corporation Of America - An Innovative Yield Strategy [View article]
    Good article, OM!

Good choices on your options strike picks: $38 is overhead resistance and $32 is major support. However, since the stock appears to be in rally mode, I would have waited until it starts flagging to write the call. Call me greedy.

Looking forward to more articles!

Dr. K
    May 18, 2015. 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Recession Is Over! [View instapost]
    Mad,

I always enjoy your articles as they are very well-written, entertaining, thoughtful, and informative. What you posit in this article certainly may be true (my crystal is at the cleaners so I have no way of knowing myself), but I'm wondering how your friends at Business Insider arrived at a P/E of 17 for stocks..? The average P/E of the S&P 500 today is 20.68 (according to multpl.com). If I'm reading the chart above correctly (and it's a bit fuzzy on my screen), the bar representing a P/E of 21x appears much less appealing than the 17x bar. According to the 21x bar, the chances of stocks gaining ground or losing it over the next 12 months appears to be around 50/50. Assuming those conditions, stuffing cash under one's mattress may be the prudent move.
    May 8, 2015. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great Social Security Marriage Benefit You've Never Heard Of [View instapost]
    Mad:

If my husband doesn't mind, I'll marry you in the state of Utah. And I adore blinding snowstorms--what better place to sport one's ermine?

Dr. K
    Apr 30, 2015. 12:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    MJ--

What the CME said really isn't laughable, it's deflating and demoralizing. What's really crummy is that Wall Street gets away with raping the savings of mom & pops everywhere while profiting from their scams. The person who promulgated this fiasco should pay in part, but it's the people who funded him who should bear the brunt.

My take on this:

It's similar to a pump & dump in reverse. To execute this strategy, you'd need the backing of big money and since the short side risk is theoretically unlimited, it would be quite nice if there was something to balance it. Enter the plays in increased volatility.

The article you mentioned doesn't say how the volatility aspect is played but I'm guessing it's via futures or index tracking stocks. Perhaps between private betting billionaires--ahem--tr... firms.

Kris
    Apr 28, 2015. 01:23 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    MJ: Seems like they were looking for a scapegoat, and you're right, this is done by HFTs every day. As far as I can see, there was nothing illegal about it--unethical is another story.

Reminds me of the "Bunny Lady" of the Enron oil futures fame...

Kris
    Apr 21, 2015. 04:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reading China's Fortune [View instapost]
    Just wondering how shorting $YINN fits into your investment strategy?

Additional disclosure: Chris DeMuth Jr is a portfolio manager at Rangeley Capital. Rangeley invests with a margin of safety by buying securities at deep discounts to their intrinsic value and unlocking that value through corporate events. In order to maximize total returns for our investors, we reserve the right to make investment decisions regarding any security without further notification except where such notification is required by law.
    Apr 9, 2015. 04:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiny Toilet Arbitrage [View instapost]
    Does this ruling apply to private jets, too?
    Apr 4, 2015. 11:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    A cybersecurity company is only as good as the hackers it employs.
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From A Dozen Years Of Short Selling [View article]
    Another disadvantage of shorting is that the short seller is on the hook for paying the dividend (if there is one).

I agree with others here. Instead of shorting, I prefer using options to limit risk. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is...
    Feb 27, 2015. 02:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Attractive Biotech Picks For 2015 [View article]
    glenn#2,

I don't understand your "curt remarks" comment. How was my response curt? I was making an observation that I felt was not only true but funny. I respect all my fellow contributors and only have had issue with a few of them over the course of many years because I didn't think they had their readers' best interests in mind.

Dr. Kris
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Attractive Biotech Picks For 2015 [View article]
    There's one thing that beats good timing: dumb luck.
    Jan 23, 2015. 03:10 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Hi Mercy,

Something I stumbled across: Saudi Arabia plans to construct 16 nuclear power reactors over the next 20 years at a cost of more than $80 billion, with the first reactor on line in 2022.

Not sure what to make of it...

Dr. K
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:23 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    From the beginning of 2014, the TLT has appreciated 30% while the S&P has appreciated 9.6%. The TLT beat the S&P by 3 miles since then.

Dr. K
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    You, too, Mercy!

BTW, this is typically one of the most bullish weeks of the year. Just sayin'...
    Dec 21, 2014. 10:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment