Dr. Kris

View Dr. Kris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • VisionChina Media: A Stock That Defies Logic [View article]
    BEA: Excellent point.

Re: Chinese kleptocracy--and other countries aren't?
    Dec 30 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VisionChina Media: A Stock That Defies Logic [View article]
    Something fishy is definitely going on with these stocks. My guesses are as follows:

1. The pump & dump is a bait for something bigger
    2. It's a diversionary tactic
    3. It's an artifact of an ancillary scheme
    4. It's part of a more complicated algorithm involving other stocks and/or indices

Since many questions remain unexplained, I wouldn't ever recommend shorting them. The only way I would play them is to the long side, and then only with a small amount of mad money that one can afford to lose.

Perhaps the way to solve this puzzle is to follow the money--who has made it and who has lost it?
    Dec 30 03:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Truth From Facts – Friday, December 27, 2013 [View instapost]
    Buying a lot of cheap out of the money SPX options would be a way for someone of means or a hedge fund to actually skew the SKEW, don't you think?
    Dec 30 02:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VisionChina Media: A Stock That Defies Logic [View article]
    Mukticat,

I think you hit the nail smack on its head. This is not your mom & pop pump & dump--it's a very sophisticated p & d. I'm seeing this all over the place--just look at the chart of LOTE (Lot78). Same story as VISN.

I think this is run by insiders who control the stock. They start buying (from each other?) at low prices as trading volume increases. The reason there's no stock to short is because they own it all. When the stock rises, they start slowly selling their positions. The question now is why is there still no stock to short?

I've been looking at this for a year or so and there is definitely something fishy going on. I just haven't had time to figure it out, but good for you for voicing your doubts.

I'm right there with you.

Dr. K
    Dec 29 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Full Steam Ahead For Marine Shippers -- December 26 [View instapost]
    Hi Chris,

The entire group has been badly beaten down for one thing. I think the other is a bet on the global recovery. Also, some of the ones based in Greece (SB, NM) are benefitting from the Greek recovery. SB has purchased new vessels at low prices and NM recently posted blow-out earnings with a continuing positive outlook.

One big caveat in this space is the enormous amount of debt held by some companies. But, if they're well-run and the global economy continues to improve, then they should have the funds to begin paying down their debt (generally needed to acquire new vessels). So, if you're interested in investing in the shippers, it would behoove you to closely peruse their balance sheets, management efficiencies, and future revenue forecasts.

I'm certainly not an expert in this space but them's my two dracmas.

Thanks for your feedback!

Kris

Dec 27 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Humor – Tuesday, December 24, 2013 [View instapost]
    I like this idea. Much rather be watching the game on my new wide screen TV with a brewski in hand than cooking Christmas dinner.

Urp!
    Dec 24 02:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chart Of The Day – Tuesday, December 24, 2013 [View instapost]
    A lump of coal in our stocking! As a nation, we're getting dumber and poorer.
    Dec 24 02:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Recovery Spurring Santa Rally? -- December 23 [View instapost]
    And a merry merry to you, too, Hill!
    Dec 23 11:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Humor – Sunday, December 22, 2013 [View instapost]
    This is classic. Merry Christmas to you!
    Dec 23 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Remembering Hitch [View instapost]
    Um, just chiming in my matchmaker hat:

To: TheCompleatAngler please meet ValGal.

To: ValGal please meet TheCompleatAngler.

Live long and prosper...and send me baby photos.

DK
    Dec 17 02:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Humor – Wednesday, November 27, 2013 [View instapost]
    This is hilarious.
    Nov 27 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weekend Wrapup: Any Bargains Left In This Market? -- November 22 [View instapost]
    Thanks for your nice thoughts, oldorv. Internet banks are interesting but the brick & mortar banks are rapidly expanding into that area. Sure, a bank with a pure online presence is going to have less overhead costs but the internet (at least for now) can't replace having a relationship with a real person. There's a lovely woman at my local bank branch who is my personal banker and I call her if I have any concerns about my accounts. Her service has been valuable. Besides waving some bank fees she's saved me a lot of time in many ways. This personalized service is something you don't get with internet banking.

I can't rate your stocks on a fundamental basis but looking at their charts I can tell you that BOFI's is by far the strongest which I'm sure you know. If you had bought it at its $3 low back in 2008, you'd be up 2400% today! One word of caution: its P/E is 24 which isn't high but it's not low, either. INBK is showing weakness and is testing major support at $20. You may wish to consider lightening up your holding should it break under that level.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. K
    Nov 25 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OSHC Owners Forum [View instapost]
    15ish first. Then 16ish.
    Nov 22 12:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chart Of The Day – Monday, November 18, 2013 [View instapost]
    Very sobering chart, although it would be interesting to see how dollar devaluation compares with actual purchasing power.
    Nov 18 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You May Think That The Market Is Overvalued But These Dividend Champions Are Not: Part 1 [View article]
    Hi Chuck,

Always enjoy reading your articles. Just to add a note to those stocks you've mentioned here, most of them have liquid options making covered call income generating strategies useful especially to those seeking extra income above the dividend. Also, a good way to own these stocks is to write a cash secured put as it effectively lowers your cost of entry.

Dr. K