View as an RSS Feed
View Dr. Stephen Leeb's Articles BY TICKER:
Tigers And Flies: China's Remarkable Continued Success Provide 2 Possible Winners And A Potential Disaster
- China had at least three major structural problems, an urban housing bubble, over-leveraged shadow banking and rampant corruption nationwide that could destroy a generation of record economic growth.
- Two recommendations that should benefit mightily from China are Deere and Ecolab.
- Amazon has been good to my subscribers and I still love its long-term perspective, but it looks more like a victim than potential beneficiary of a growing world.
The Energy Paradox: More Is Less
- Whether for unconventional oil or to protect the conventional sources, energy has placed a major albeit largely invisible break on worldwide economic growth.
- Global annual growth in energy demand this century has run at roughly 2.4 percent, at the high end of prevailing ranges since 1973.
- From 2000 through 2013, the world directly invested roughly $16 trillion in real dollars in global energy supplies; annual direct investments more than doubled in that period.
The Long Side Of Poor U.S. Policies
- Short-term, I’m bullish on stocks and think any corrections should be brief - providing good buying opportunities. Longer-term, I'm much more gloomy on the U.S. outlook.
- I especially like oil service companies such as Schlumberger, Core Labs and Oceaneering International.
- A smart grid is designed to rapidly wheel power from varied energy sources nationwide. Through inaction, America retained a grid that in some cases predates Teddy Roosevelt's presidency.
China's Dream, Our Nightmare: How To Invest, How To Hedge
- Longtime students of China well know that it deploys an effective strategy proved over millennia: display weakness over strength to hide the strength.
- By December 2015, China probably will have nearly 4 times as much electrical transmission cable as the U.S. Here, as with rare earths technology, China is no slouch.
- I ruefully recommend aggressive hedges against the possibility that America falls further behind. Invest in gold and also silver, an alternative to the buck and important for solar energy.
The Long-Term Costs Of Trusting Things 'Flash'
- The belief that computers and all things "flash," IT and high-speed can solve all America's problems imposes a high cost on everyone.
- From 2000 to 2011, the Bureau of Labor Statistics recorded the largest gap ever between annual growth in U.S. productivity and yearly increases in compensation.
- If the U.S. wants its economy to continue to rule the roost, we must harness computers to fashion long-term strategic goals and investors must start thinking longer term, like Warren Buffett.
Shifting Market Bodes Well For Stocks Like Deere
- Recent movement in market averages and key stocks strongly suggests a shift in market leadership from growth stocks to cyclical and commodity-related stocks like Deere, Schlumberger, and Caterpillar.
- Russia’s plans to buy and sell commodities like oil in rubles and gold parallels China’s massive and persistent accumulation of gold, and suggests a currency to rival the dollar.
- There also remains the potential of an economic bloc to rival the U.S., namely between Germany, Russia and China, as I discussed previously.
Ukraine, Russia, Germany And The Real Threat Facing The U.S.
- Recent dramatic events in Ukraine seemingly presage an East-West confrontation reminiscent of the Cold War but, long-term, a looming Russian-Chinese-German axis could prove more daunting.
- Ironically, any Russian plan to barter goods for Iranian via oil could also make Russia the one country able to categorically prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear arms.
- Profit by investing in rails--Union Pacific and Canadian Pacific, for example--leading rail parts supplier Wabtec, big oil service companies and a major U.S. alternative energy play, Berkshire Hathaway.
- Is The Pentagon Handing China The Keys To U.S. Defense?
- Check Your Emotions At The Door
- Oil, Potential Bear Market Signal, Still Well Behaved
- Google: Apple's Successor... Only Bigger
- A Proprietary Indicator Augurs Further Strength And Gains
- What Intel's Situation Bodes For The Entire IT Space
- Commodity Prices Continue To Be A Key Issue
- Good News For The Market From Congress And The Fed
- BHP As A Bellwether Stock For The Coming Year
- Amazon: Anathema To Value Investors?
- A Bright Spot In The Global Economic Landscape
- Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle
- Our 4 Top Picks In A High-Potential Space
- One Company Is Growing By Leaps And Bounds Despite The Doom And Gloom
- Between Growth And Safety, The Shadow Of Fear
- China And Gold: A Puzzling Anomaly
- The Anniversary Of An Historic Market Event
- Fukushima, Climate Change And Stocks To Watch
- Not Your Father's Commodity Markets
- 3 Outstanding Energy Sector Investments
- Silver, Copper, Gold... And China
- Cyclicals To Salute In A Tough Market
- America's Greatness And Technology
- China's Headlines And What They Mean
- Good Bets To Profit From Fracking, NGLs