Dr. Stephen Leeb

View Dr. Stephen Leeb's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Consequences of the Debt-Extension Resolution for Commodities [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. You back up your case very well - about as well as our former Chairman Greenspan who like a lemming followed Ayn Rand as the economy came crashing down. Did not mean to hurt your feelings.
    Aug 3 11:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China and the Precious Metal War [View article]
    I could not agree with you more, which is why I think it imperative that we wake up and realize that we have to protect our freedoms and not take them for granted.
    Jul 27 11:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China and the Precious Metal War [View article]
    Thanks for your comments. And you are right light rare earths are needed to build very strong magnets. But you also need heavy rare earths as well such as dysprosium.You are right that the Chinese have a lot of treasury paper and do rely on the U.S.consumer. But as a percentage of overall reserves dollar financial assets have been declining. Also true is that the Chinese are pushing extremely hard to push up internal consumption. Moreover, the more QE"s the more likely the dollar loses its reserve status to say a basket which includes resource currencies, the Yuan and gold..
    Jul 27 11:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Reserve Release: The Quickest Way to Remove Incentive [View article]
    Thank you for the info. I have no reason to doubt Gundersen. Dealing with nuclear energy is next to impossible. The only question is how much contamination there is. A small amount of contamination is probably not a threat. But I will research the issue. Again thank you for pointing it out.
    Jun 30 07:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    You are right. I apologize for being too thin skinned and also too frustrated and for any harsh comments. Still I do believe this is an issue that transcends any particular stock and is very important to the country's future.
    Jun 12 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    As a coda: I think any American would want to see GWMGF or any other HREE succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams. And while the chances are slim to none for GWMGF - and slim is limping badly - miracles do happen. A brief warning on DCF or any other model - it is as good as the underlying assumptions. In 1999 or 2000 an analyst at Paine Webber with a CFA projected (based on DCF) a target of 1000 for Qualcomm. The math was wholly consistent, but the underlying assumption 35 percent growth in cell phones for the next 10 plus years implied that by this year every man, woman and child on the planet would own more than two cell phones.
    Jun 11 10:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    Here is a quote from Technology Review. "The current shortage of rare-earth elements has made it clear that our ability to create new consumer electronics, develop clean energy technologies, and even maintain the nation's military strength depends on developing a domestic industry to mine and process these materials. But the United States is suffering from more than just a shortage of mining and processing facilities (see "The Rare-Earth Crisis"). Right now, the country lacks the technically trained scientists and engineers required to bring the rare-earth industry back up to speed.
    At its height, the industry employed about 25,000 people, approximately 4,000 of whom had college degrees in a science or engineering field. Today the total number is around 1,500, only 250 of whom are college-trained scientists or engineers. And while it may take only a couple of years to restart the nation's rare-earth mines, it will take at least five to 10 years to educate the next generation of "rare-earthers" who must staff the total supply chain from mines to product manufacturers."

And has it happens I do talk to scientists who have had high positions at DARPA.. So far no disagreements with my take on things. I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately your comments are so far off......
    Jun 11 05:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    If you read the article you know that I did not recommend any rare earth company - other than as extreme speculatons based on the possiblity of government help. I did not say don't buy Great Western in the article or in any of the replies.

I do wish calling someone names could change the world. It won't. If China reads these exchanges they will rightfully conclude (but never say it) that we are all pinheads - you can take that to the bank.
    Jun 11 02:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    I guess the point Fatfretter is that those without a degree cannot - you prove that. Given the grammar, spelling and punctuation in your last sentence - an extraordianry number of errors in a few word sentence - I conclude you forgot the critical substitutions which are "I" for "You" and "am" for "are."
    Jun 11 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    Last reply: I misspoke about Michigan because I misinterpreted someone else's comment. Sorry. but It really does not change the calculus.

I probably should have emphasized that the biggest problem in going from ore to magnets are a lack of skill sets. The last issue of Technology Review a readily accessible science magazine published by MIT makes this clear. We don't have the skill sets in the West and I doublt South Africa does either. It will take many years to develop these skills - again see Technology Review.

Please no more silly comments on $.70 stocks. If anyone wants a copy of the TR article I will happily send it. But with a little effort you can get it online.
    Jun 11 12:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    Quoting from the CSO - the think tank for Congress with whom I shared ideas for a day last month: "The supply chain for rare earth elements generally consist of mining, seperation, refining, alloying, and manufacturing. A company with - what did you say $15 million in revenues - will not answer our prayers, which will require capital investments probably approximating a billion dollars to bring meaningful amounts of HREE to market.. The company may be successful - though the past record of management is dismal - if they find a major partner. But even on a best case basis, which is fantasy, you are talking about a very small percentage of HREE needs.

Finally you asked about my qualifications - M.S. in Mathematics, Ph.D. in Psychology. Also run a big cap growth investment fund (see my website) which is in the top 2 percent over the past 12 years. And as I said working with top Yale mathematicians on ways of identifying mining deposits among other projects. Incidentally why don't you enter your own biography. It seems other than a stake in a $.70 stock, you are much too taciturn.

All that said, I hope I am wrong about Great Western and that by some miracle it becomes an answer to our prayers. But I don't think we should be in the miracle business.and think by pushing or suggesting a poorly capitalized company as the answer to America's problems is dangerous. To do so because you want to make a buck is just plain wrong - wrong for your future and wrong for your kids' future.
    Jun 11 11:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rarest Rare Earths on Earth [View article]
    Please read the entire article and use a little common sense. Great Western is another small rare earth miner - true. They are integrated by grace of an arrangement with South African companies, who will take their entire supply. I fail to see the importance to the U.S of a speculative venture in Michigan, which will NOT be vertically integrated anytime in the near future even if the company does hit pay dirt.
    Jun 10 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Winning Despite the Economy [View article]
    Maybe you should read my comment above and take a hint about reacting to idiotic second hand information. The point about renewables is well taken and is the reason why I think the govenrnment will try to control silver purchases. See if you can connect the dots. My personal odds are less than 50 percent.
    Apr 6 12:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Potential 100% Gainers [View article]
    Did you also feel sorry for them when the stock was at 2 and 3. I really don't think John Paulson and George Soros need your tears - both are major shareholders and their purchases were probably at 6 or 7.
    Jan 31 05:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Potential 100% Gainers [View article]
    By this reason no civilization has ever disappeared, no species has become extinct. Indeed there is as much copper in the lithosphere as there are elementary particles. And all this time I have been worried for nothing.
    Jan 31 05:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment