Dr. Terry Allen

View Dr. Terry Allen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why The Dow Is An Imprecise Measure Of The Market [View article]
    You have clearly drunk the Wall Street cool-aid hook line and sinker. Brainwashing works. While I will be guilty of mixing metaphors, you have enjoyed the sausage without any understanding of the ingredients that went into making it.
    Sep 11, 2013. 04:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Article Creates Great Buying Opportunity For Green Mountain Coffee Roasters [View article]
    Sometimes it's a good thing that options don't trade after hours.
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Actually, they didn't. We closed out the spread for a 26% gain after commissions.
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I hope you didn't pay too much for the puts and were quick to close them out early in the day on Thursday. We closed out the spread I suggested for a 26% gain after commissions.
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No problem. I did read your article and thought it was good. Great minds must think alike. Now we have to wait until tomorrow to see if we were so smart or not so smart. So much of the market is dependent on unforseeable unexpected news events beyond our control.
    Aug 6, 2013. 09:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    They are not Aug 2 calls but the weekly calls that expire 8/9/13 - they are typically called Aug2-13 77.5 calls (GMCR130809C77.5). I own large numbers of Dec-13 67.5 calls and have sold the Aug2 weekly calls at the 77.5, 80, and 82.5 strikes. With the stock up strongly since placing these orders Monday morning I am showing a 10% paper gain on the positions at this point.
    Aug 6, 2013. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them.
    Aug 6, 2013. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Oh, the power of Seeking Alpha. When my article was published, GMCR was down over $2 on the day, and in the few hours after it hit the Internet, the stock moved higher by over $4.50 and is now up over $2.50. It was either a remarkable coincidence or maybe lots of investors read these articles and act on what they read.
    Aug 5, 2013. 02:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Seagate Technology Earnings Announcement This Week [View article]
    While most companies move higher going into earnings, when the last month or quarter has been up strongly as both GOOG and STX (and SBUX although I did not write a Seeking Alpha article about it but did for my subscribers), the stock is quite often down for the last two or three days before the announcement, so if you are placing a bearish bet, it might be best not to wait until the last minute. That proved to be very profitable for us with STX and SBUX this week.
    Jul 24, 2013. 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nobody probably reads down this far, but I hope someone sees that I really nailed this one on the head. They beat estimates and the stock tanked anyway because expectations were so high. A court re-affirmed a $650 million lawsuit in their favor this week as well (which should have moved the stock higher).
    Jul 24, 2013. 12:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Google Earnings Announcement This Week [View article]
    You did better than we did. We bought 3 different spreads, 915 calls in three different months and sold weekly 910 calls which expired worthless. We averaged a gain of 58% on these plays. Not bad for one day.

You must be feeling great today. Congrats.
    Jul 22, 2013. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Google Earnings Announcement This Week [View article]
    The short-term option prices often move higher just before the announcement and since you are short them you are seeing a paper loss. As I write this just after the announcement it looks like there will be a big drop rather than just a moderate one. I placed a bunch of diagonals at a credit so I don't care how far down it goes - a profit is guaranteed with those (I also bought naked long puts because I felt so strongly that it would drop after the announcement, but I couldn't recommend that in my article or they wouldn't have accepted it due to its being too much about options.
    Jul 18, 2013. 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The JPMorgan And Wells Fargo Earnings Announcements This Week [View article]
    Yes, you are right. I have corrected it. Thanks.
    Jul 9, 2013. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, Jul2-13 is the weekly expiring on Friday, July 12. This is the designation that is used on the trading platform at my broker, thinkorswim, and I understood was used by many other platforms as well.
    Jul 9, 2013. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you. I will try to fix it.
    Jul 9, 2013. 08:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment