Dr. Terry Allen

View Dr. Terry Allen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Play The Deere & Company Earnings Announcement [View article]
    I closed out the DE options today (prematurely as it worked out) for a little more than a 15% gain after commissions. It was the seventh consecutive earnings gain I made over the past six weeks which netted over 100% in all - I will itemize them all at the Terry's Tips blog after the 8th (Sina) trade is finished tomorrow.
    May 16 02:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Deere & Company Earnings Announcement [View article]
    I sold the diagonal today at a nice gain and waiting to close the calendar probably until Friday. Could easily be a 30% gain. Keep our fingers crossed.
    May 15 08:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Sina Corporation Earnings Announcement [View article]
    I don't expect to ever own the stock. I will reverse the trades on Friday after the extremely high May premiums have fallen to their intrinsic value.
    May 14 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Deere & Company Earnings Announcement [View article]
    My software shows a loss with those positions at any price below $89.50 (not enough downside coverage in my opinion) - you must not have entered the assumption that IV of the June options will fall after the announcement.
    May 13 04:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Deere & Company Earnings Announcement [View article]
    You can collect almost as much by selling a May 92.5 and you only have to wait a few days to collect it, and then you can do the same thing with the June option if the May one expires worthless which the pattern suggests will happen.
    May 12 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Earnings Announcement [View article]
    I closed most of mine out today at $4.50, the intrinsic value. It shouldn't get any worse than that but if the stock should tank tomorrow, maybe you could get more. I wanted to cash in and use the money for another play.
    May 9 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The stock went up so much that I was unable to get more than the intrinsic value of the spread - $4.50. After commissions, I made a little over 20% for the trade. Not bad considering I was totally wrong with the direction the stock would move after earnings (the SBUX deal was the unexpected development that pushed it so much higher, and of course, I could not have anticipated that). Thanks for asking.
    May 9 01:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You are probably just fine with the May short call although you will have to wait an extra week to close out the spread. It might even be a better move because historically the stock moves higher in the days and weeks following the announcement although it has often moved lower right afterwards.
    May 8 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The trade platform I use at thinkorswim calls the weekly options that expire on May 10 the May2-13 series. The symbol is GMCR130510C57. I know it is confusing.
    May 6 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bill - I didn't read your article until after I had submitted mine - we both seemed to come out about the same place using different thought processes. Good work!

The sheer magnitude of those short positions still causes me concern - those shorts have collectively lost over half a billion dollars since in the last quarter. That's real money.

It will be interesting to watch this unfold. .
    May 6 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your kind words. I stayed up half the night writing it and now feel it was all worthwhile.
    May 6 04:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The straddle is expensive and the stock needs to move over 14% in either direction to make a gain after earnings. Buying the straddle to sell before earnings in another story - the stock does often move one way (usually up) or the other in anticipation of the announcement.

Good luck!
    May 6 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Will Soar In Price This Week - Part 2 [View article]
    True, my timing was off, but I am trying another options play for this week because it just might make 50%. Hopefully, Seeking Alpha will publish it. I have been long GMCR (with options) since before this article was written, and my gain is far greater than 20%.
    May 6 10:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Earnings Season Tells Us, So Far [View article]
    Thanks for your support. Unfortunately, almost no one read this - guess I needed a sexier title.
    Apr 24 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Earnings-Related Plays For Next Week [View article]
    These is only so much I can do, and I hate to wait out a full month for the short options to expire. So I focus on about 100 companies which have Weeklys available.
    Apr 21 08:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment