DWD Investing

View DWD Investing's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: Advanced Cell Technology Interim Results And Shelf Offerings [View article]
    "Fortunately, I don't have to think about timing, if I just stay away."

Well, I can't blame you for that one. :)

However, they are authorized for 20M shares, which should they sell them all, get them through at least the next 1.0-1.5 years. So I don't see much dilution coming in the next year, other than what they already have approved. Yeah, it would mean 60% dilution, but you see what I mean.

And, I still have no idea what you meant by "after another company owns the science," as I have put out the only two ways I know of that happening: BK or buyout. The BK part isn't going to happen for at least until they run out of currently approved dilution, at which time they will have Phase II data out (given they can even start it in the next month or so.)

I don't understand why you took a bio-spec position in the first place, knowing the perils of Phase I and such.
    Mar 3, 2015. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Mantle Strikes Out, Is Nvidia The Winner? [View article]
    You're 100% right here. In 2013 I bought the near top level AMD discreet graphics card for gaming, and paired it with my very old 2008 first release Core i7 Bloomfield 920 CPU OCed to 3800Mhz. Even in Crysis, I saw my CPU using about 60% and there was no bottlenecking of the GPU at all.

Fighting about gaming in relation to CPUs, is wasted effort. Almost any multicore CPU will run the latest GPU.
    Mar 3, 2015. 01:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks Break Out Again But May Be Running On Fumes [View article]
    One of Scott's main premises is that of liquidity drying up:

"Stocks continue to hit new highs despite low trading volume"
    "Despite low trading volume. . ."

If you're seeing higher highs on low volume, that is indeed a case for worry, but I'm not seeing that.
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ocata terminates equity offering [View news story]
    My sentiments after the presentation, and taking all things company-wise into consideration:

The Good:

The comapny seems in good hands and is making progress. It's technology is seemingly good. Current Lincoln Park contract can allow OCAT to continue for a supposed 2-4 QQs at a 5M-10M per Q burn rate. Without additional funding, we're looking at increased simple dilution after the next several QQs (and during). Dilution is possible, with current shareholder approval, at 66%, or a total of 55M shares after dilution. 55M shares is still very good.

The Unknowns:

Do we know if Phase I is completed? What's the outcome for the other patients? Do we know? We do not. Why? In Steven Schwartz last presentation, he didn't even know how many patients were in phase I or if they had all been treated, saying something like, "36, or 38".

Where will funding come from? When will funding arrive?

When will Phase II start? Some nebulous time in Q1 or Q2? Has the first Phase II cohort been found? Again, we don't know.

The Bad:

Avalanche is already in Phase IIa for Wet AMD with gene therapy. Their partners include Merck and Regeneron http://bit.ly/18K2g7F. Obviously, investors are quite a bit more impressed with AAVL than they are with OCAT, right or wrong, that's the fact.

OCAT has no partners, no funding, and no Phase II start. It's current Phase I trial is using immunosuppressants, which from my understanding, will need to be excluded at some point. We're not sure if that will entail yet another Phase I trial, or how OCAT will navigate around that problem.

OCAT management seems very tight on information in most areas. Why is that? We can speculate all we want, but we don't know.

This company is starting to remind me of the famous quote about fusion power, "Just 30 years out, and always will be."
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks Break Out Again But May Be Running On Fumes [View article]
    Scott,

Thank for the article. Can you explain this a little more:

"Stocks continue to hit new highs despite low trading volume,"

Where is the low volume of which you speak? Looking at IBB, SPY, QQQ the volume looks pretty 'normal' for the last couple of months.
    Mar 3, 2015. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Loss To The Smartflash Patent Troll Has Implications For Others, Including Amazon.com [View article]
    If Smartflash wins IP litigation, then they aren't patent trolls, however. They're then protecting their own work. I take it that Smartflash is private?
    Mar 3, 2015. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The only way they will lose core science is in BK or a buyout.

Can't say I concur on that one. Without further information on your part, I think that's far left field thinking.

So, when do you think they'll BK or have a buyout?
    Mar 3, 2015. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ocata Therapeutics To Trade On Nasdaq Global Market: Can The Bulls Finally Rejoice? [View article]
    jw

You have no idea. lol

And, many of us now realize how to make money on a promising Phase I company. And, it's not holding long, in the beginning, but swing trading--lol. However, OCAT's inflection point, all things positive, is growing near. If nothing else, interim positive, irrefutable, definitive Phase II data will do it. I'm not saying it will be all that, but if it is all that, that will permanently move the sp.
    Mar 3, 2015. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You're seriously going to wait until they have a commercialized product before taking a position?

The point is that they are working with the FDA to design, or in this case, redesign, a Phase II study to be pivotal, not just a normal Phase II trial that "may" be pivotal. They want to make sure they show efficacy in a controlled design, and normally, phase II does not need a control. If they can just get those cohorts injected and later this year show definitive efficacy from a controlled Phased II, that's all they will need for a run.

However, I concur that there is plenty of time to take a position.
    Mar 2, 2015. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Are Best To Avoid The IShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF [View article]
    "CNBC had a special segment on Friday discussing the long and short side of the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (NASDAQ:IBB)"

CNBC: One good reason to accumulate.

The next good reason to accumulate, on dips if you prefer: IBB in 10 years after Stem Cell and Gene therapies mature.

Best good reason to add IBB: In ten years you'll look back and say,"Wow, I thought it was expensive 10 years ago!"

The foundation of my points?
    Stem Cells and Gene Therapy are the industrial revolution of health care, that's why.
    Mar 2, 2015. 10:42 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bio,

But weren't you the original pen of the originally titled piece called, "Advanced Cell Technology Will Make You Rich In 2014" ? (It might not have been you, and I'm jesting, of course anyway.)

Also, if they pulled the shelf because they had a better offer, then why would they say "due to market conditions" ? That would make the phrase mean "due to great market conditions!" I guess it could be true.
    Mar 1, 2015. 08:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Navidea's Macrophage Therapeutics Gets A $2.5 Million Vote Of Confidence [View article]
    Neo,

Yes they have been around for a very long time and their Manocept platform has been around for decades too. It's ripe for low hanging fruit and if there is anything to the Manocept platform, it's just a matter of time before the market decides to come in. Hopefully, that will be sooner than later.

There may be a dip after earnings, unless there is some sort of positive announcement to go along with it. If there is a dip, it may be a nice opportunity to accumulate.
    Mar 1, 2015. 02:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Will Economic News Alter Fed Policy? [View article]
    Moon,

"Yellen was specifically hired not to raise rates and to try to continue to get more rounds of QE and stimulus. "

Please source that specific information. I'd like to read, specifically, why you said that. It's probably a very good article.
    Mar 1, 2015. 01:27 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yellen Gets Her Dander Up Over Inequality - 'A Hit Dog Will Holler' [View article]
    A couple of concerns, here:

(1) "Now that QE has ended and the free fall in oil prices point to a global recession, it begs the question, "How effective was the Fed stimulus?". "

I found this baffeling, since pundits have been saying that rising oil prices will "precipitate a global recession" for years. Now that oil is way down, they say the opposite. It's a confused position, at least to me.

(2) Have you confused Yellen's comments about "inequality" of markets, generally, and those of individuals? What I took from Yellen's comment on inequality was that we live in a largely consumer driven market. If consumers don't have enough cash to push that economy, it's simply bad for the economy, since nearly 70% of economic growth comes from consumer spending.

I didn't take it politically--since I'm an investor, not a political pundit--although I can see how people might take it politically.
    Mar 1, 2015. 01:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Will Economic News Alter Fed Policy? [View article]
    As an individual short term investor, I really can't spend time trying to figure out future macro economics. That's a religious, mystical, strange and sophistical thinking, to me.

I pick stock I think has good products/technology, and I try to get them while they are under the radar and clearly in value territory. If they go down, for other than internal problems, I will average down. That means I try to have some cash on had for that situation.

That being the case, I read Jeff (and other level researchers, and never listen to main stream TV, Radio, etc.), to get an idea how the market sees itself. I adjust my cash position accordingly.

For example, Vangaurd told my mother to have enough cash to last her the next year. Vanguard are not idiots. That was after her house sale. So she didn't need to sell any stocks or bonds, rather, she just kept enough from the house sale to live on for the next year, if needed--without selling current positions. That tells me Vanguard is a little nervous. And, that's all it means. I took it seriously, along with other information, and went to 18% cash myself, which corresponded well with my need to average down, if necessary, on a couple of my current positions, which I think could break down before up.

The macro stuff? "Puff the magic dragon!"
    Mar 1, 2015. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment